A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 301,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hanging paper lanterns from dorm ceiling?  (Read 4085 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kwugirl
« on: March 09, 2007 02:06:45 AM »

Hey all! I've searched and searched and while Google pointed me to various articles with handy dorm decorating tips which included paper lanterns, these articles never included directions on how you would actually hang the things. Am I missing something really obvious here? I don't think that they all already have hanging lights in their rooms...if that's the case, I'm jealous, why aren't my dorm rooms cool like that  Tongue

Anyway, a few people suggested 3M hooks, but has anyone had experience with those? I just want to hang the paper lantern + wire frame that stretches it out, for some 3D interest in the room rather than just posters on the wall and such. The ceiling in this room is that uneven jagged stuff that crumbles a bit if you rub your fingers on it. I've currently got is hanging from a pin, but it's fallen out before and I'm not sure how safe that really is.

So anyway, if anyone's got some more enlightened ideas, I would really appreciate it, thanks!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Julie P!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007 02:48:17 AM »

When I lived with my parents in an apartment we used to have that same ceiling stuff and I too wanted the hangy paper lanter things. While I did not personaly use the 3M hooks I would not recommend them plainly because they are a type of tape and that crumbly stuff like to come off on anything. What I did use were these:

They are called Round ceiling hooks. Cheap and they work. : ) hope I was of some help! : )

Mine were pink and I hung them too low and my boyfriend (now husband) who is really tall kept hitting his head on them.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwugirl
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007 04:51:15 AM »

Thanks for your advice, Julie! Yeah, I figured that as strong as the 3M stuff is, the crumble defeats all...

So the ceiling hook, get it at a hardware store and then...can you just screw them into the material? I've always been a bit confused about how people get eyescrews into walls as well.

And hee, my boyfriend is much taller than I am too but it's my room so I'll hang them at the appropriate levels for me. Also his house frustrates me all the time because it's clearly designed for tall people with it being hard for me to reach even the lower level of the kitchen cabinets.

Oh also I've got a pink lantern too! Well, white with pink polka dots, and a larger one with Babar on it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007 05:24:59 AM by kwugirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Julie P!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007 10:47:57 AM »

Wink i'm pretty much jealous lol i would have rather had polka dots on mine! lol and yup. i'm not sure how to use those eyescrew things either, i just screwed mine right into the wall and they held up just fine. but make sure that you place them where you want them the first time cause it will leave hole and you can't put the screw back in that same hole because of the material thats usually used for crumbly ceilings but i can't remember what the name is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007 11:33:18 AM »

My SIL was just telling me about fixing small holes in walls with toothpaste. Well, it would work if you have white walls (ceilings?) and you have white toothpaste. It dries very hard. I'm sure it would blend in perfectly with a "crumbly" ceiling! Just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
mrs.veghead
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007 03:54:09 PM »

Sticky Tac, available in the Tape and Fastners aisle at any office supply store, will help. It's like bubble gum, you can use little bits of it to stick posters, pictures, whatever you'd like to the wall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MsChilePepper
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007 09:10:13 PM »

For a lightweight paper lantern, you could just get wee cup hooks at any hardware store and most variety stores like Target.  Find 'em in the section where you'd get nails and screws.  They come in silver or brass finishes, as well as white.

And yes, white toothpaste works very well as a substitute for spackle, although real spackle is very cheap.  You can get a small jar for just a few dollars at a hardware store, and it's easy to apply to nail or screw holes with your finger or even a small plastic knife or spatula.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I own power tools, and I'm not afraid to use them!
kwugirl
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007 09:20:12 PM »

Thanks for all the advice! Now that you all mention it, I noticed patches of stuff on the ceiling that may be spackle from previous inhabitants. That's encouraging, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MsChilePepper
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007 12:13:52 AM »

I just love the word spackle.  SPACKLE SPACKLE SPACKLE!  It's just fun to say!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I own power tools, and I'm not afraid to use them!
kwugirl
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007 05:24:32 AM »

Just a bit of an update for anyone who might come upon this thread at a later time for the same information: the screw hooks are fantastic! Actually, I bought some smaller ones called "cup hooks" because I could get more per package for the same amount of money than with the official, larger ceiling hooks. They screw in really easily and hold quite well, and since they're smaller, they don't leave a noticeable hole when you take them out (I had to re-position one of them and there was no problem doing that...do make sure to wipe off the plaster from the screw afterwards, though). Oh, and also be careful of bits of plaster from the ceiling crumbling down. I had just vacuumed earlier in the day, oh well  Tongue

I tried sticky tac at one point and while it would hold up the weight of the paper lantern (it's got a metal frame inside it to keep the shape, so it's heavier than you might think) when stuck to the wall, it wouldn't hold it from the ceiling. Ah well. Sticky tac does work with lighter things like Christmas tree ornaments, of which I have a couple hanging from the ceiling too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS Getting Started: Part 1 - Setup
Canon G10: Set White Balance Function
Canon G10: Set Underwater Function
Canon G10: Set Timer Function
Canon G10: Set Spot Meter Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...