A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! My Make 1 Creates a Hole  (Read 922 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitknitter
« on: March 09, 2007 12:50:17 AM »

I have looked at all of my references and looked at Knitting Help and other online knitting video and for some reason my M1 still leaves a hole. What can I do to avoid this or is there another increase that I can use? I am at at the bottom half of Cosmic Pluto's top-down cardi and this is really bothering me as I don't want a sweater with lots of holes in it at the bottom. Thanks in advance for your responses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjd
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007 03:01:55 AM »

You could twist it to help close it (probably the easiest for what you're already doing) or try a different increase (for instance, knit into the front & back (or back & front) of a stitch, knit into the stitch below (either before or after knitting the stitch itself), etc.).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

あたまの上に下ぎがあります。

wists
knitknitter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007 03:49:29 AM »

You could twist it to help close it (probably the easiest for what you're already doing) or try a different increase (for instance, knit into the front & back (or back & front) of a stitch, knit into the stitch below (either before or after knitting the stitch itself), etc.).
Thanks, the M1 I am doing is picking up a stitch in between two stitches. Is this what you are referring to when you say knitting into the stitch below?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ednathewitch
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007 05:33:34 AM »

the M1 I am doing is picking up a stitch in between two stitches

If that's the increase you're doing, then knit into the back of the stitch (if the stitch is sitting on the left needle with the needle inserted from front to back). This will twist the stitch and make a nearly invisible increase.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever feel that you *have* to use a signature?

nytefalle.com/blog | nytefalle.etsy.com
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007 07:23:47 AM »

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php  shows various increases and decreases and which intentionally make holes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007 09:32:22 AM »

Knitting into the front and back of a stitch isn't invisible. It's also called a bar increase because it leaves a bar on the knit side.  The M1 increase (which is picking up the bar between stitches) always leaves a hole, if you aren't doing the added step of twisting the stitch by knitting into the back of it.  Other increases are YO increase, which is just a yarn over, and will ALWAYS leave a hole and a cast on increase, which is usually used for more than one stitch, but I suppose could be used for only one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
knitknitter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007 09:42:50 AM »

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php  shows various increases and decreases and which intentionally make holes.
Thanks for this. I looked at this site before posting and tried to do the make one the way that she recommended but it still left a hole.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjd
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007 11:31:16 AM »

This gif image shows the "knit into the stitch below" increase after the stitch itself has been knit.  There is directionality there based on whether one knits the stitch below before or after (as in the video) the stitch itself.  (The other image there that supposedly shows knitting into the stitch below before knitting the stitch itself twists both stitchs, so I have not linked to it.)
This gif image shows a raised bar increase (what it sounds like you're doing) that's been knit twisted.  There is also directionality to the twist.
Any increase may look "thinner" (& feel different than the surrounding fabric), but will melt into the fabric after the fabric around it forms up & one knits on.  A large hole will not disappear, but if you twist the stitch & still dislike it you can always take your needles & move the excess yarn to the right or left along the row to tighten it up later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

あたまの上に下ぎがあります。

wists
knitknitter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007 01:45:53 PM »

This gif image shows the "knit into the stitch below" increase after the stitch itself has been knit.  There is directionality there based on whether one knits the stitch below before or after (as in the video) the stitch itself.  (The other image there that supposedly shows knitting into the stitch below before knitting the stitch itself twists both stitchs, so I have not linked to it.)
This gif image shows a raised bar increase (what it sounds like you're doing) that's been knit twisted.  There is also directionality to the twist.
Any increase may look "thinner" (& feel different than the surrounding fabric), but will melt into the fabric after the fabric around it forms up & one knits on.  A large hole will not disappear, but if you twist the stitch & still dislike it you can always take your needles & move the excess yarn to the right or left along the row to tighten it up later.
Thanks. The second image helped me to figure out how to do it without a huge hole appearing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007 04:09:02 PM »

I almost always do an e-loop to make one as it doesn't really show up that much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Toxic Beauty Ingredients TEA, DEA, MEA
Learn About Toxic Beauty Ingredient DMDM Hydantoin
How to Curl Hair With a Can
Tips on Using a Hair Straightener Flat Iron
How to Blow Dry Hair and Add Volume
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...