A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A scarf: to knit or crochet  (Read 2071 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rina
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007 01:28:23 AM »

It's really a matter of personal preference.  With long rows you don't have messy edges, but need to watch out for the dreaded twist.  Just chain the foundation loosely, using a larger hook if necessary.  You might want to test out a few rows over several inches first.  That way you don't have to unravel tons of work.

I get bored with really long rows, so I prefer short rows.  You can aways crochet along the length smooth any rough edges, or add shell stitches for interest.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my yarncraft blog, RedCrochet.wordpress.com
AmigurumiMan
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2007 11:00:42 AM »

I would go with short rows, too.  If you do it lengthwise you'll be spending forever working into your foundation chain, which is a major annoyance and may put you off crochet forever.

Also, if you want to make it stripey, it will be much easier to do the color changes working widthwise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mintbamboo
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007 08:24:16 PM »

yes, most definately start off with short rows. youll feel more accomplished as you wizz through getting a bunch of rows done. once youve mastered the foundation chain to first row transition, experiment with long rows. (i prefer long rows, i think because im not so good at keeping the edges smooth. plus i can never decide on how wide to make a scarf, but i always know how long i want it... weird)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
effendog
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007 08:38:12 AM »

Stockinette, of course, curls. The only way I know to keep it from doing this is to border it in garter st. or seed/moss stitch.

I know I'm resurrecting this thread from beyond the grave, but I wanted to comment on this. I've never had luck with making stockinette not curl, even with a border of garter or seed or moss or any other stitch for that matter. The edge might not curl under, but the middle part (stockinette portion) always has a weird bend to it.

People come into where I work (bead and yarn store) all the time complaining that their scarves are curling (do they not notice the curl in the first 6 inches of making it?). I tell them to do a 1x1 rib because it won't curl, and it's got a good amount of body to it so it holds warmth well.

Sorry, this is way off topic, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty quote*
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Cosmetic Injection Questions Answered
2014 Grammys Beauty Trends
An Anti Aging Moisturizer That’s Worth the Splurge
The Best Enzymes for Your Skin Type
How to Upgrade Your Look with Just a Curling Iron, Belt and Mascara
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...