A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftsters in Juneau?  (Read 5148 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

3RaysOfSunshine
« on: March 08, 2007 02:56:20 PM »

I was wondering if there were any other craftsters in Juneau... I would to learn new craft skills and share ideas - it's so hard to find sources for interesting materials here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oribe
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007 10:36:19 AM »

Indeed there are!  What types of crafts do you do (I realize I am SO late to respond, but yea.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

3RaysOfSunshine
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007 01:10:10 PM »

I am late to reply too... I haven't been checking as I have been SOOO busy wth Christmas. I do a little of everything. I have done stained glass in the past, candle making, knitting, photography, crochet, furniture re-upholstery, home remodeling, most recently quilting. I want to try PMC but haven't taken the leap yet - just buying start up materials for a craft can be spendy. Plus I tend to jump into a new craft, do it for a while, then get bored and do something new.

It's nice that there's a fellow craftster in Juneau. What kinds of crafts do you do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cabin Fever
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008 08:36:05 PM »

HI!!!  I just found this website, and just found this forum.  OK, I'm not exactly in Juneau, but close......Hoonah. Lived in Juneau for a few years before we moved here a couple of years ago.  I'm really using up all of my craft supplies since we've been here!! I really miss JoAnnes!!!  I mostly crochet (lately anyway), do scrapbooking, card making, sew (nothing major) and bake (try not to do that here!). Glad to see there are craftsters near by!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

3RaysOfSunshine
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008 04:50:34 PM »

It is nice having a craft store nearby, but I find myself online for a lot of supplies too. I just ordered some canvas for a painting project. I could buy them for $30 each here or six for 35.99 online plus 15 for shipping. Hmm. Go figure. I have a friend that spends some time in Hoonah - I guess they have a place there and she really loves it. I have been wanting to go but I have kids which makes the ferry trip pretty overwhelming! Good to see you on Craftster. I look forward to seeing what you create!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cabin Fever
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008 06:54:31 PM »

Tell me it's beautiful, warm and sunny in Juneau!!!  Ok, I can dream......we're heading that way next week, YEAH!!! I can replenish my supplies and visit friends!!! But I couldn't wait and ordered some yarn by the cone today on ebay, first time ordering that much at one time, but it was sooo much cheaper, like you were saying.  Shipping came to $20, but it was still cheaper then buying a bunch of skiens at Joanns.  I took a peek at your projects, love the kids' fun room, lucky them!  And your quilting is beautiful, haven't gotten into quilting, yet..............no room for extra projects right now.  Let me know when you post new stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

3RaysOfSunshine
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008 12:25:31 AM »

Thank you! And let me know when you post new projects too! Your cookies look so good and that cupcake you crocheted looks good enough to eat as well! I was thinking about knitting or crocheting food for my kids to play with, but, like you said, I don't know if I can do any more crafts... I am so busy with the ones I have. It's neat to see what other craftsters come up with.

Well, as for weather, the only sunshine I *ever* get come from the smiles on the faces of my 3 kids (hence my Craftster name). I won't tell you what the weather is really like here. You may decide not to come! Maybe I'll see run into you at Joanne's, who knows?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazyred

Livin' high in Alaska......and lovin' it!!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008 11:28:48 PM »

Fellow craftster here in Juneaumy daughter is around here frequently as well and Im sure my mother is lurking about here somewheres, all fellow Juneauites.  I know that this thread is years old (I hope yall are still here) but I just wanted to drop in, introduce myself and say hi.  After nineteen years here in Juneau, I know that one of the best ways to beat the weather blues is to stay busy and I host a weekly girls night in which we pull out our current craft projects, pig out on all our favorite foods, throw in a couple of movies and have a hen gathering while the guys go out and play cards.  It has saved me, more than once, over a long winter and my daughter and now, my nieces have this tradition that they have grown up with.  Win/win  Grin.  I particularly enjoy cooking/baking, soap-making/body stuffs, jewelry making, cross-stitch, photography and refurbishing furniture.  I planted my first garden ever this year (I should have paid closer attention to the Farmers Almanac, I fear) and so far, no bears.  I have recently purchased my first sewing machine and look forward to learning more advanced sewing this winter.  One day, I will learn to quilt.  I go to the quilt-show every year and the entries are always just breath taking that they have inspired me to start collecting fabric for my future endeavor.  One day..(sigh).  But for now, Im off to bake Olympic cupcakes..go Team USA!!!  Happy crafting!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed be.
Cabin Fever
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008 07:17:35 AM »

I love your avatar, that bear looks like he's just waiting for you to bring him lunch!  Craft night sounds like way too much fun. I sure miss Juneau and all of my buddies. But when they come to visit me in Hoonah, someone always brings a craft project for us to work on while we sip wine or a new mixed drink. Last time we painted pictures of an Alabama sunset...............never seen one but it was still fun!  Looking forward to seeing your quilting projects posted. I'm too busy this summer to get much of anything done Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

3RaysOfSunshine
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008 03:02:50 PM »

We're still here! It's great to hear from another crafty person here in Juneau! That is so funny - I used to do a Craft day at my last home in Oregon and they were so fun - sounds a lot like what you do - food and projects galore! Sometimes we'd all work on the same thing like candles or garden markers, sometimes people would bring their knitting, etc.

I'd love to hear how your garden project turns out - I have been wanting to try hanging tomato planters for years, but it seems like I just never have the time to get them started (I have 3 kids...). I'd be interested in knowing how all your plants fare here in Juneau.

I received my first sewing machine when I was a teen, so I have been sewing for about 24 years now. I just started quilting a few years ago (although that was by hand). I tend to kind of "wing it" with projects but they usually turn out pretty good. I'd be happy to help if you ever need it. I have a couple of projects posted - you can check them out. I like the Hawaiian style of quilting but have done other styles too.

I love to refurbish old/previously owned furniture - I'm forever checking garage sales and/or St. Vincents for possible projects. I have done a lot of reupholstery, painting, refinishing, etc. It's amazing what you can do with a little time and new hardware! My most recent purchase was a vintage oak chair/desk. If I ever do anything creative with it, I'll post. I'm also working on our upstairs bathroom but that may be an all-winter project at the rate I'm going!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Rocky Road Fudge
How to Make Delicious Summer Peach Sandwich Cookies
How to Make Chocolate Frozen Bananas for Adults Only
How to Make Neapolitan Ice Cream at Home
Rocket Science Uses Liquid Nitrogen to Make Fresh Ice Cream
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...