A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftsters in Juneau?  (Read 5370 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazyred

Livin' high in Alaska......and lovin' it!!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008 10:42:37 PM »

Im so glad you guys are still here..

Cabin Fever: I love the avatar too.and after all of the advice I received on how to keep bears out of my garden (chicken wire was the most common refrain, if you can believe it), I thought he was just perfect Ive been meaning to get over to Hoonah for a while now and check it out.  My sister moved over there last year (of course, shes back here so frequently its been hard to coordinate) and married into a Hoonah family this summer.  And so far, I guess you have had a slightly better summer than us, a few more days of sun, eh? or at least the berries are coming in Im told.Im jealous.here they are still green or melted (rained away) off the vine.But at the very least, I want to, got to, have to, try that ziplineand with my sister living over there that is where my one and only nephew is.  Gotta go check it out.

Youre a brave oneI can imagine myself painting a picture of a place Ive never been while sipping wineprobably drinking more wine than paintingIm afraid Id end up with a Jackson Pollack wannbe sounds like a blast  Grin!!!  Id love to learn to paint but, alas, cannot even draw a straight line.my grandmother was the real artist in the family and her artwork is the only art displayed in my family room.  She found her greatest inspiration in the Grand Tetons and so I have these crooked mountains that Im always explaining really are slanted that way.

3RaysofSunshine: I have pictures of my garden posted here on Craftster and I do have upside down tomatoes in buckets if youd like to look (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=257270.0) still waiting for them to fruit (I think this year is out not enough sun) but I can tell you that they really do like growing upside down and all of the herbs I planted on top have done great!!!  This year was mostly going to be an experimental year but we have had an extraordinary amount of rain so Im kinda of at a loss.the strazzberries and strawberries are blooming like crazy along with the peas, radishes, carrots and bush beans.  While the snap beans, cucumber, broccoli, lettuce and tomatoes dont look like theyre going to get there unless we have an extreme amount of sun in the next couple of weeks..but oddest yet, I have two 3-in-1 (orange, lemon and tangerine) plants that are trying to fruit I thought citrus fruit in Alaska no way for sure, but they really are trying.  I know what you mean about time though, theres never enough of it with children in the house (I have two 16 year olds and my niece, who is 9). 

I totally haunt St. Vinnys and Sally Anns looking for pieces to fix-up and I ADORE garage-saleing.  I make it every weekend, no matter the weather, and must confess that a huge portion of my craft supplies have come from such sales.my sister calls me the garage-sale ninja (really, it was less polite, but you get the idea.) BTW, in case you hadnt heard, there is a free moving sale in the condos behind J&Js deli this Saturday  Wink.  And if youre really serious, I may be bugging you frequently with my silly sewing questions..

Anyways, sorry to run on..I do tend to talk A LOT and am not at all shy (as you might tell Smiley).  Happy to make your acquaintanceand if youre ever interested in girls/craft night just let me know and youre more than welcome.and CabinFever, if I can ever pick something up at JoAnns (or Costco I know how it is living in small towns) and drop it off at Wings for you, I would be happy to do it.  I do it for my sister at least twice a weekthe guys at Wings and I are on a first names basis.

Happy crafting, Carrie

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed be.
3RaysOfSunshine
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008 04:33:48 PM »

CabinFever,
I actually made a trip to Hoonah in May to do the zipline with a friend. I'm sorry, I should have offered to bring stuff for you! I didn't even think about it. Hoonah is so pretty. We had a great time although the tourists weren't there the day we came so the shops were all closed. Have you done the zipline yet? I actually thought it was pretty peaceful, if you can believe that.

Crazyred,
They run a pontoon boat over to Hoonah the last Saturday of the month to do the zipline - it's a package deal... here's the info in case you want to do it. It's a lot cheaper than flying over and then buying zipline tickets. http://www.icystraitpoint.com/pages/juneaudays.html

Your fruit/veggie garden looks fabulous! I am so jealous of your greenhouse. Green with envy (haha)

I'd love to participate in your crafting night! That sounds like so much fun!

I wonder if I have ever seen you at garage sales!? I go *almost* every weekend during the season... it's my time away from the kids, although occasionally I have 1-2 of them with me. I have picked up fantastic stuff at garage sales - including a recent purchase of about 10 big, beautiful houseplants in expensive planters... each for $2!  My husband always laughs because if I say "we need... (fill in the blank)", I'll find whatever it was at a garage sale within a week or 2.

And I'd be happy to answer and sewing questions if I can! Here are projects that I have posted including a couple sewing ones:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=90364;sa=showTopics

Great to "meet" both of you ladies!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazyred

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008 12:11:18 AM »

Fantastic!  I'll pm you with info regarding craft night!!   Grin Grin

Your projects are awesome!  I adore the Giselle dress (super cute)....I wish I wouldn't get "those" looks (you know the ones) if I decided to wear one someday...couldn't you just imagine it??......and your play room??  Amazing!! 

As for running seeing each other at garage sales - I'd say, highly likely - it's just that kind of town......I also worked at the Valley Breeze-In for five years and get that "don't I know you?? " all the time (most recently in jury duty last week)...I just have one of those faces.... Smiley

I'll be getting those details to you soon....will be great to have another crafty person around!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed be.
Cabin Fever
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008 07:20:27 AM »

Sorry I haven't been on here much! Busy, busy summer!  We do make over to Juneau enough to spend too much $ , but thanks for the offer of sending stuff over if needed!  Zip line, nope, don't plan to either, But I would love to just drive up the hill for the view, but I guess they don't let you do that.   I've never heard for Sally Anns, where is that and what kind of store?  Sounds like I may need to check that out!  Hopefully things will slow down soon and I will get to craft more. We are going to spend some time in "America" this winter, so I can really stock up!! As for the paintings.........we aren't artists either, but it was sure fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazyred

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008 10:48:03 PM »

I totally get it about the busy summer  Grin  here too.....Isn't it sad how we have developed these towns (yours most recently) around and for the tourists??  We have a zipline here too, but it's really only for the passengers of the cruise ships and not the locals Sad  I'm sorry, I should have been more clear in the earlier post, Sally Ann's is just a nickname for the Salvation Army, I guess it's what they call it in Canada....but I really do get some great stuff there occasionally, and so, it's become a regular haunt for the inspired (me Grin).  I'm jealous that you're "getting out" for the opportunity to stock up  Smiley  My mother-in-law is in Anchorage and can send most anything down, but there is still a lot of stuff that misses Alaska altogether - if you know what I mean?  I hope you have a safe/fun trip and make sure to get lots -- they're already calling for a rough, long winter  Wink  Wink   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed be.
Cabin Fever
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008 09:25:51 AM »

Sally Anns! I love it! hahaha.  I keep telling my kids that I wish they had gift certificates for the thrift stores, then they'd always know what to get me.  I did hear that Good Will has them now...........

I'm hoping to do at least 1 swap before heading south for a few months, right now I'm in a mad dash to make a tie purse for my daughters birthday next week!   

Have fun crafting this winter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squidbrains
Super Dooper Pooper

hooray for my face!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008 07:31:25 PM »

Hello, hello

new to Craftster and to Juneau.  I noticed these posts are a little old but maybe someone's still looking.

I'm thinking there aren't any crafty-type stores I haven't found yet...but this place surprises me with some of the hole-in-the-wall shops.

anyway i love to knit, crochet, sew, paint, bead, metalwork, make confetti Wink, and basically anything that ends up colorful, shiny, bright, and occasionally serve some practical use.

Lately I'd like to get ino some more fun recrafting/deconstruction (i have a bunch of old fabric/clothes I can't bear to get rid of) and embroidery and to use my sewing machine a little more often than I do lately (which is never right now).

I'd love to hear about any knitting circles or some stitch and bitch clubs or anything (I know about skeins).  My creative juices definitely flow more freely when inspired by like-minded-individuals.

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cabin Fever
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008 11:15:18 PM »

Hey, Happy New Year, and welcome to Juneau!!!  I can't help you with any circles of crafters.........dang!  But you should check with the yarn shops, there is one near the airport shopping "mall" Smiley  and there is one downtown above the community gallery.  And if nothing else, post something on one of the bulletin boards in town and I bet you get some calls.  Good luck!
Margie
If I didn't live in Hoonah I'd be all for getting together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

3RaysOfSunshine
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009 03:19:56 PM »

Hello squidbrains...

Welcome to Juneau!

The yarn shop by the airport closed Sad but the one downtown (same owner) is the one you were referring to - skeins. I get my best craft stuff at garage sales or just re-inventing what I already have. I just picked up some Golden brand acrylics (unused) last weekend for cheap at a GS! I have been wanting to try painting but didn't want to make the financial committment in case I'm really bad.

Hmm. I don't know of any crafting groups, but you've probably noticed that in Juneau, most of the fun is in people's homes. Once you met a few crafty people, just host a potluck craft time. I have kids so it's really hard to get the time but I look forward to doing more when they get a little older.

I just started working on some felted slippers for my daughter. I'll post pictures when I'm done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
earthflower
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010 08:38:43 PM »

I miss the rainy city of Douglas Ak!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Noah Fecks: What Are You Reading?
Bob Drury: What Are You Reading?
Nancy Ohlin: What Are You Reading?
History in Five: Matthew Hart on the Evolution of Gold
Iscariot by Tosca Lee Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...