A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Sheep Studio spun up  (Read 12865 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cha.cha.cha.
« on: March 08, 2007 09:43:39 AM »

I got my first order from Carol at The Sheep Studio (http://www.thesheepshedstudio.com/Roving.html)and am thrilled with the fiber! She uses mill ends from Brown Sheep and her stuff is by far the least expensive I've found- $7.50 a pound.  I placed an order on Monday night and it got here this morning (Thursday). I would definitely recommend ordering from her. She even added 2oz of some lovely greyish stuff for free.

Here's 140 yds. I'm not sure what I would do with it and I think I may overdye it.  I'm not sure what color though- green would be too army, yellow might be a little poopy, perhaps blue or purple? Tell me what you think! Has anyone else used this for dying?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010 08:24:54 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog!  http://nomoresweaters.blogspot.com

how do you catch a unique squirrel?............. u-nique up on it.
raynbow
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007 11:58:59 AM »

Love love love them.

I haven't overdyed the multicolor stuff (yet).  But I have dyed some of the bits and pieces out of one of her 'grab bags' and they took the color beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007 12:03:18 PM »

75% of my wool comes from Carol and I dye all of it.  It dyes awesome!  I love mill ends!  Not always as easy to work with as roving (it comes in pieces a lot) but so worth the effort!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ticklemepink
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007 12:03:46 PM »

Ooh, that's beautiful!
I've overdyed some of the plain white from Sheep Shed, and it came out really nicely.  I'm learning to spin with it now and I agree - it's great stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007 12:55:40 PM »

lovely! it reminds me of caramel!  mmm yum!

i too love mill ends!  i got some of the turquois not too long ago and it is wonderful to spin.  but boy when a pound of roving shows up on your doorstep, its a little intimitading.  Especially because I was going to use my spindle!  Good thing I decided to rent a wheel instead...

Anyway, I am glad to hear (and see!) that it dyes so nicely!  As soon as i get the last bits of this roving done I am definitely going to have to order some white stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007 02:42:36 PM »

hehe, wait till a pound looks like nothing!  I usually order them in 15# bags now, its kinda crazy but fun!

btw that yarn snob video on your blog is funny!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007 02:46:53 PM by misshawklet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

boulderbliss
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007 06:32:14 PM »

Hey Holly,

I've ordered from Sheep Shed before, but have just ordered the Brown Sheep Mill ends in White and Brown and white.  I'm curious, when you say you are ordering by 15lbs, are you ordering these mill ends or are you ordering her "Super Special" which is the Mohair/Wool blend and only comes in 15lb and 30lb increments?  If so, how do you like her Mohair/Wool blend?

Thanks!!
Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitwit

The cookie thief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007 09:42:08 PM »

cha.cha.cha your blog is great! I loved reading every post.  Smiley I want to see what it looks like after you dye it.

At some point during the last year 1lb of fiber stopped seeming like a lot to me as well!

I've also ordered the 15lb "super special" (I'm about to order another one actually!) and loved it. The roving in the box was mostly long pieces and really soft with a pink streak of mohair - though some of the mohair was still white. You can feel it. There are also the short pieces and weird bits but I feel like it was worth it. The shipping was high, (it is 15lb) but overall a great deal. It takes dye really well too.

I had to pick it up at the post office and I nearly fainted when they brought the box out. I managed to fit it in my Mini Cooper too - that was ridiculous! I couldn't wait to get it home and open it up and play with it. I pulled a lot of it out over the floor to examine it because I was so excited. After I put it back in the box, I had to get out the vacuum where the roving shed all over. But yeah, a 15lb box of fiber is crazy fun.

If you have the space for a giant box of fiber, and you go through a lot of it, do it! I didn't know about the 30lb size. I might have to check that out  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007 09:46:13 PM »

omg i would have to get rid of one of my kids for that much roving!  i wouldnt' know where to put it all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boulderbliss
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007 05:49:04 AM »

Yeah, I guess I can boot one of the dogs out to make room for 15lbs of roving or they might think it was one big stuffed animal to play with.

Knitwit, thanks for chiming in about the Super Special.  I've been really curious about that and really want to integrate using some mohair.  And you can't beat the price!

May I ask how much shipping was?  Brown Sheep Yarn in Nebraska where she gets the wool is only a 3 hour drive for me, so I'm wondering if it would be worth the drive to pick it up.  And it should fit in my little Honda SUV, minus anyone or anything else. Smiley

(Sorry if I'm getting off topic here) Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pad Thai - Thai Foodcast:
Learn About Traditional Indian Food
Learn About Different Kinds of Raw Fish
How to Make Spider Rainbow Sushi
How to Make Big Eye Tuna Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...