A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,469
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hooray for me Gloves  (Read 13364 times)
Tags for this thread: fingerless_gloves , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

poordumbbird

i was a kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2004 03:47:14 PM »

Ive saved that link for future referene but I am a penyiless undergrad and cannot afford 2 sets of circs when one set of dpns is cheaper  Undecided

Anyway ive just finished the thumb gore and im suprised how delightfully glove like they are looking (very knobbly LOL this is my first time using that tiny 4ply wool but lets just call that character!)

But....

They are huge! At least on me they are  Sad I have tiny tiny hands, even for some one generally petite these babys are small. If im ever buying gloves I have to get kids  Embarrassed

Now I think the yarn Im using is this Opal Wool Stuff (no label as its mystery stash stuff) and according to the website its 75% Wool - 25% Polyamid (  Huh ) would it be possible to block this?

And as Ive never bothered to block anything before how much can it change the shape? Just a little or do you recon I could make them a lot smaller?

Alas for my tiny hands!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marnie

Curves aren't made of diet food.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2004 03:58:53 PM »

Ahah! Well, I have monster man hands which may explain the sizing problem.
Blocking tends to make stuff larger and your yarn is probably made to be washed over and over and won't shrink, so I think you'd be better served by starting over, but before you do, put the sucker back on and pinch the fabric you'd like removed. How many stitches are you pinching there? Round it to the closest multiple of 4. Whatever number you come up with, subtract that from the total number of stitches you cast on.

You now need to determine the approximate number of stitches you'll work per finger
My pattern breaks it down to:
58 total stitches:
Index: 16 + pu 2 = 18
Middle: 15 + pu 4 = 19
Ring: 14 + pu 4 = 18
Pinky: 13+ pu 2 = 15

Whatever total number of stitches you remove from your caston should be divided divided by 4 and subtracted from each number above (not counting the number of picked up stitches which will remain the same)

If this is too confusing, let me know and I can work with you one-on-one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marnie MacLean
http://marniemaclean.com
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2004 02:10:46 AM »

They are huge! At least on me they are Sad
Funny, I made a pair for my friend and when I tried them on they were too small for me!  Talk about "monster man hands"...
Now I'm on the pair for me and I'm adding several rounds to the palm section to make them fit me better.  I didn't post pictures of the first ones because I gave them away before I had a chance to get any, and they didn't look very good anyway.  I'm going to wait until the ones for me are done and then post those instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
poordumbbird

i was a kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2004 05:43:26 AM »

Marnie - you are so awesome!  Cheesy and so helpful

i think youre right LOL my current glove is really a lose Ive done 5 rnds out of the 19 in your pattern and my palm is already covered!

Ill try the maths later on, but I have a feeling Im gonna loose about 1/2 -1/3 of the stitches LOL i really should have considered this before I started but I just hoped that they would sort of magically fit LOL  Roll Eyes

Later: I recon dropping 20 sts should work! do you belive how tiny they are now!  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004 02:11:18 PM by poordumbbird » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marnie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2004 06:22:50 PM »

PoorDumbBird,
You do have some pretty small hands there. All the harder to get to the cookie at the bottom of the jar. Big hands have their uses, even if I WAS called "ET Fingers" as a kid.
 Grin

Try to hang in there and don't stress about resizing. Knitting is all about basic math and you can usually whip any pattern into the shape you want once you understand the math behind the pattern. I'm definitely pleased to help you in any way I can.

And, CatLadySarah, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one walking around with big man hands Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marnie MacLean
poordumbbird

i was a kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2004 11:10:25 AM »

and we are done!  Cheesy

Well ive done one anyway LOL the thumb is a little freaky because it was too big and in my rush to finish it i just added a few decreases so it wouldnt be wide at top making it sort of pouffy hehe oh well  Tongue ill probably fix that on glove no 2

aside from that they are the best fitting gloves Ive ever had, i added the pic with  the battery for scale, i dont think it worked too well though LOL

I added a few alternations to the pattern (obviously!) and i knit the fingers on 3 dpns which might sound crazy but it works very nicely for knitting little things

Oh and I didnt even dent that big ball of sock wool, maybe ill acctually have to make socks with it as well LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marnie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2004 01:40:25 PM »

I love them. The colors are great and they fit you so well. Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marnie MacLean
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2004 01:20:23 PM »

i made a pair!  i made a pair!  (Thanks for the info on making the pattern smaller btw!)

(this was the first pic i ever took with my new camera, so if it sucks, i am very sorry!)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010 12:31:23 PM by jungrrl - Reason: tried to fix pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marnie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2004 05:46:48 PM »

I just love those colors. That yarn you used is just like the yarn I got from a friend a couple years ago that got me back into knitting and started my whole pattern making shinnanigans Smiley
It looks like they fit you beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marnie MacLean
skuterrat
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2004 03:23:02 PM »

Hi Marnie,

I loved your pattern, thought you'd like to see my rendition.  The colors aren't my favorite, and I have another pair planned in a dove grey with purple and blue speckles.  I think it's called "opal" or something along those lines.  Smiley  Anyway, I love the gloves themselves, particularly since I can type and program while wearing them!

Liz

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Press Flowers and Display Them
How to Make Magazine Stencil Art
How to Make a Clothespin Picture Wreath
Log Cabin Quilt Block Patterns
Segment Unavailable
Latest Blog Articles
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...