A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: 12-point Star Blanketa.k.a. Round Ripple (w/pattern link)  (Read 75807 times)
Tags for this thread: star_afghan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ZellaBella
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2008 03:45:17 PM »

poofy-wings it looks great so far! it makes me really want to start one of these! as if i'm not working on enough
THIS ROCKS   Logged

M Fox
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2008 09:29:17 PM »

WIP - ran out of one color, so this is not finished.  I'm planning on 9 more rows, which will alternate the variegated and the chocolate.
It's Red Heart Soft Yarn, and I'm using an H hook.

with 12 inch ruler

THIS ROCKS   Logged
M Fox
« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2008 06:16:54 PM »

When I ran out of the color yarn I needed for my 12 point afghan, I decided to experiment with stuff from my stash.  I thought an 8 point compass star would be neat - THEN I thought that having the colors alternate for each point would be *really* neat.

Part way through I decided to try and turn it into the spiral sweater that is in the knitting section, which is why you see the big holes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2008 09:41:06 PM »

Oh my gosh M Fox that is awesome. The alternating colors are awesome. You must tell how you did the armholes and how you got the colors to look like that. I would love to make one like that for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
M Fox
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2008 10:57:58 PM »

Thanks, Aelita! 
If you haven't tried the 12 point afghan, then trying to alternate the colors might be confusing.  I used the same pattern, but started with ch 3 and join, then put 7 dc into the ring.  Then next round you will have 16 instead of 24.  The 4th rnd is where I started my color change.  You will need 4 separate balls or skeins of each color, and when you get to the 'dip' between what will be the points, you change color.  For the next round - and this is where it can get messy, you have to turn your work, so that the yarn will be in the right place.  You'll have 8 strands of yarn connected to the afghan.  In the 12 pt instructions, it says to alternate the small and large shells, but I found that the small ones tend to pull it a bit much, so that is where my idea needs tweaking; I've switchd to doing mostly the large shells.
For the armholes, I kept going until the width across the middle was about the same as a jacket I have from side to side under the armpit.  I also measured the shoulders of the jacket, and added a round or two until it balanced out.  Oh, and measure from top of shoulder to armpit of the jacket, otherwise your holes may be too small).  To make the holes, when I came to the place I wanted them, instead of doing the normal row, I did a chain with the same number as the stitches I would have done (so it matches with the work you've done).  I think I had to add in another skein to change colors, but I think I also broke off another (I'm not sure, I know I ran out of a couple balls at this point, but the colors pretty much guide you at this point).  On the next round I did the double crochet as if I was doing the normal pattern, this is more of a 'slit' appearance than a 'hole'.  When the main part is as big as I want, I'll go back and finish the sleeves, and I expect there will be two points on the final edge.
You may want to look for the spiral sweater in the knitting section, I haven't tried it, but it is where I got my inspiration.
I've been working on a few other things, so I haven't gotten any further on this, but when I do I'll give an update.
Hope this makes sense!  It started as an experiment, so I didn't write anything down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marycatherine
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2008 05:05:58 AM »

My latest finished rr...............what do you think?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008 05:10:21 AM by marycatherine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mary Catherine

I Love to Crochet!!
Lucy_Stardust
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2008 11:13:45 AM »

very pretty!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silverfisch
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2008 11:00:32 AM »

after looking at all your great blankets and giving a try at the other star, I've decided to try this one too!  Cheesy but I'm not making a human sized one but a doll-sized one, so thread and an 1,5mm hook. I'm still struggling with the center though  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silverfisch
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2008 03:12:29 PM »

up to now is coming along nicely, but I don't know how big should I make it... I'll se as I go on Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2008 08:26:31 PM »

Thanx for the info M Fox after I get alot of my WIP's down I may try this. Silverfisch that is awesome and I love the doll too, is that a Blythe? I want one of those dolls so bad but they are kind of pricey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fall Fashion Trends: What To Wear To Work
Who Rocked The White Cape: Gwyneth Paltrow Vs. Sienna Miller
How to Make a Baby Chicken Costume
How to Make Stylish Yarn Bangle Bracelets
Best Dressed Celebrities: Kate Hudson, Blake Lively, Alessandra Ambrosio
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...