A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty Housewives?!  (Read 3358 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clearskies
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2004 11:51:52 AM »

getting back to what donutgirl said about the Flylady website -- i love it!  they have great tips for getting and staying organized, and making it seem pretty simple.  i don't do the whole program, but have picked up great things like the "27 fling boogie!"

check it out!

i work, and don't have children yet, but i think some of these concerns are universal. especially for women.  thanks for starting this thread! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want to be cool, tall, vulnerable and luscious.  I would have it all if I'd only had this much."
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2004 12:24:38 PM »

I am very fortunate to have a husband who cooks everynight and does laundry and dishes. Cleaning well hes not so good at it. He does it if I ask but hes sorry to say bad at it. I am a cleaning and organizing pro. I can cook but he is so much better and loves to do it I kind of suck at it. I am the baker though. He can't bake to save his life, I dont understand why, he can cook but give him a  cake recipe and hell screw it up everytime.

something I found imensly helpful. my labelmaker. especially since crafts took over our one bedroom apt. I got a 25 dollar battery operated label maker from walmart and  you can make plastic paper and iron label with it. its amazing. so i label eveything.

I also put everything in individual binders. like crafting tips, then i subdivide it with those dividers like i have jordys bag in one section with all the pictures printed out to show me how to make it in my crafting binder.
*h
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shawnkyr

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2004 01:34:41 PM »

Hmm...grad student/part-time tutor here.  I don't really aspire to stay at home, but let's just say that, should we win the lottery, I would not be in any hurry to work.  I do want to work, I just want to be able to be reeeeeeally picky about what job.  I do however happen to be the half that does most of the cleaning and homely duties (admittedly, not well).  Though I rather suck at cooking (hubby does that often, and even the kitchen and dishes, too).  Seems quite a few of us are in the Superwoman boat.

I do have a favorite dish-washing product--Dawn Power Dissolver.  It will easily take the crap off of pots and pans, even if it's bonded at a molecular level.

Does that Eraser thing work well on stains on kitchen floors and counters?  How about engine grease smears on the door?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2004 01:49:29 PM »

I think what I have learned froim this thread is that whether a stay at home mom, working mother, working woman, etc. we women are doing an awful lot to make sure our households run smoothly.   

I for one would welcome any tips that might lighten my work load.  By the time I get home and cook dinner it is close to 7 and I am really not in the mood to clean (go figure).  I have started picking up in the living room, dining room and kitchen during commericals.  Of course, that only works when I watch tv but it seems to be helping.

And xmelinda......that Alton Brown.......**sigh**.  The douchnut episode entitled "THe Circle of Life" is my favorite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michaelasmom

Nobody is born a bigot..........

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2004 02:02:38 PM »

I spent the first 6 years after high school getting 2 degrees so that I would be able to throw myself into the career world......... Now I spend my morning and afternoon commute planning how I will spend my lottery winnings when I am able to stay home with my daughter and any future progeny.  Roll Eyes

I also fall into the lucky category of having a hubby that will do his share of the chores.  Lucky for me, because he doesn't mind doing the chores that I absolutely hate (mopping, changing the litter box, cleaning the kitchen) and I will do the things that make him cringe (cleaning the bathrooms and picking up the toy room).

We live in a mobile home/trailer/manufactured home (depending on where you are from) and for us, the biggest challenge is the total lack of storage space.  My Mom is generaous enough to store holday decorations for us, but it is the day to day challenges that keep popping up.  I have spent the last 2 nights cleaning and organizing my 'craft corner' (as the hubby calls it) So any tips for organizing tiny spaces would be appreciated.

My absolute favorite item for house cleaning is a really cheap cleaner that I buy at one of the dollar stores.  It's called mean green, and is usually $2 for a bottle or $5 for a gallon.  I've used in on walls, floors, carpet, laundry, linoleum, and even to get some funky green stuff off of the siding.

If any of you listen to country music, you may have heard this song, and if you haven't, you might want to give it a listen -- it's my new theme song.  It seems like it might be the song of quite a few of the ladies here

"The Woman With You"  -- Kenny Chesney

She hit the door 6:55 sack full of groceries split down the side.
Can goods scattered all the way to the curb.
Look on her face saying don't say a word.
So, it's me and her and a can of beans sitting there on the front porch swing.
Western sky all turning red.
Head on my shoulder she sighed and said:

Been gopherin, chaufferin, company chairmen.
Coffee maker, Copy repairman.
Anymore there ain't nothin I swear man that I don't do.
Been juggling, struggling, closing big deals.
Dancing backwards in high heels.
Just when it feels like i can't make it through.
She said it sure is nice to just be the woman with you

She said the girl I was with the business degree probally wouldn't recognize me.
I was going around the bank.
I was going to run them out.
Now all I want to run is a bubble bath.
Back then you know I had this plan.
Before all of this reality set in.
Here comes life boy ready or not.
Hey I wanted it all and thats what I got.

Cause I'm gopherin, chaufferin, company chairmen.
Anymore there ain't nothin I swear man that
I don't do.
Just when it feels like I can't make it through.
She said it sure is nice to just be the woman with you.

She said I'm gopherin,chaufferin, company chairmen.
Anymore there ain't nothin I swear man that I don't do.
Just when it feels like I can't make it through.
She said it sure is nice to just be the woman the woman with you.

La, la, la, la, la, la

The woman with you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Any idiot can handle a crisis.  It's the day to day living that wears you out."  -- Anton Checkov
michaelasmom

Nobody is born a bigot..........

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2004 02:11:22 PM »

And xmelinda......that Alton Brown.......**sigh**.  The douchnut episode entitled "THe Circle of Life" is my favorite.

and I am loving all of the Halloween themed episodes that he has been doing !! The gelatin one was great fun, and last night it was all about chocolate Grin

My daughter loves the food network and will actually set down and watch anything with Rachel Ray.  My mom bought her 'Elmo and the Magic Cookbook' because Emeril is in it and Michaela loves to watch "Bam!"  Other people think that it is a little strange, but I am just relieved that we can watch somthing other than the Disney Channel for a change.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Any idiot can handle a crisis.  It's the day to day living that wears you out."  -- Anton Checkov
Shawnkyr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2004 03:26:24 PM »

For the storage issue, I'd go vertical.  Stackable plastic storage drawers.  I also do those under-the-bed plastic storage things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2004 03:31:19 PM »

Shawnkyr
on that not wanting to stay home thing .... 4 years ago I never wanted to have children..... 2 years ago when I graduated college I was dying to get a "real job" I was never going to be no stay at home mom like my mom was I was going to work in video production....

well its 2 years later I work in a library I havent done anything in the field I got a degree in (not for lack of trying Ill tell ya) and I cant wait to have kids and stay home with them... people change, your priorities change I swore I ever would now I can't wait to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shawnkyr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2004 05:34:38 PM »

I allow for the possiblity.  Smiley

Funnily enough, I'm working on my Master's in Library/Information Studies, and I can't find a library job!  Tell ya what, if I happen to get a video production job, I'll trade ya. 
I do quite desperately want children, though.  My mom wasn't a stay-at-home mom, but we were very fortunate to have the same baby-sitter from the time I was 2 months old until I was 14 years, when we moved away.  It's like having extra grandparents!  If I end up staying at home, cool--I'm not adverse to the idea.  It will probably not happen til we pay off my massive student loans, though, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmelinda
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2004 05:47:47 PM »

I checked out that Flylady site -- there are some really good ideas, I'm going to have to read more...

We just bought our first house, so I'm going to have to re-design my household routines.  I'm hoping to do a lot better at cleaning.  I'm hoping I'll be inspired enough that it's OUR HOUSE and not a rental apartment, that I'll want to keep it nicer.   As it is, by the time I work all day, get home, feed the dogs, figure out dinner, eat dinner, clean up after dinner -- by that time, I want to spend the few hours I have left on CRAFTING.  I just like to sit in front of the TV and make stuff until I can't stay awake.  *sigh*

Oh, yeah, Boo, I told DH he should take notes or something on that doughnut episode!   Cheesy  I have gotten him to make Alton's chocolate chip cookie recipe before -- I didn't think anything could improve upon the recipe we've always used in our family (from the 50s-60s edition of the Betty Crocker cookbook) but I think Alton's actually are better (don't tell my mom)

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Meatloaf with Chili Sauce
Skillet Bacon Mac and Cheese Recipe
How to Make Buttermilk Waffles
Buttermilk-Cheese Waffle Recipe
How to Make a 10 Layer Monster Burger
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...