A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty Housewives?!  (Read 2990 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tracey
« on: October 24, 2004 12:29:02 PM »

Ok, the idea of this is for us home-makers to share hints, ideas, etc for crafting/daily life!  And as an estrogen based support group!
I got the idea for this when looking at craftster, and my husband was reading over my shoulder, and thought the "Crafty Housewares" at first glimpse said Crafty Housewives!

So viola! I decided to give it a go! Like I already said, I thought maybe we could use this to ask questions, for example, How do I get a particular stain out of such an item! Or clever ideas to help organize certain items etc.

What do you all think?  I hope you like it!

For example, lets just say a misc. girl   Undecided made soup, and left the heat a little to high on the stove, and decided to go bowling.... well if you boil water and LOTS of baking soda, it gets rid of that horrible caked on black crud!

I thought this would also be a fun support group, and maybe we could have little swaps etc!

Crafty Housewives of the world Unite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
ilovepaper
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004 01:43:05 PM »

ok, I'll share a great tip....

when your 5 year old colors all over the rug [low pile]  with green crayon, you can remove it completely with Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser with very little effort.
I really don't know how I lived this long without it.

Next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dixie_terror
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004 01:50:54 PM »

the magic eraser is totally MAGIC, i do believe it can clean anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a few of my recent banners...<br />http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287051709
Tracey
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004 01:59:25 PM »

That reminds me!!!! I don't know about all beverages, but spilt Cola (Coke or Pepsi) on a light colored rug can be removed with BLUE Windex. I don't know why it is the blue stuff but it is.

Put some blue windex on paper towel and blot out the mess. I am not sure if it works on old stains........

« Last Edit: October 24, 2004 05:48:59 PM by Second Star to the Right » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004 02:54:07 PM »

I have a few tips on multi tasking.

Whenever you wash dishes, clean or organize one drawer or cupboard then you never have to worry about spring cleaning.

While your child is in the bath clean the sink, toilet, sweep... then you can get something done while watching.

Clean out the fridge each time you go on a large shopping trip before you put the groceries away, you never have a dirty fridge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costum e maven.
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004 06:27:27 PM »

Spill red wine on your carpet?  Pour white wine over the stain to clean it up.  This works really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MtyAphrdti
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004 10:35:44 PM »

another way to get rid of the burnt on crud off of pans and dishes is to fill them with HOT water and drop in a dryer sheet (bounce works best imo) and let soak until room temp or overnight...it will all just melt off  AMAZING!

I too believe in the power of the magic eraser =)  careful on latex paint as it can ruin the finish if used too often on the same spot
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vintagechick
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004 02:28:02 PM »

I'm liking this thread already!  I'm a housewife wanna be (right now I have to work, but someday I'll stay home).  I am married though and love it!  Here's my little tip of the day, though you all probably already know this: 
Use vinegar instead of liquid fabric softener.  Just put it in the wash (the liquid fabric softener dispenser) or dump in 1/2 cup during the rinse cycle.  This is a great thing for people with sensitive skin (like ME!) because it removes the build-up that commercial soaps/softeners leave behind.  Many times that's what causes reactions to products...the residue they leave behind.  You don't smell the vinegar at all (unless you use 2 cups or something!) and it also helps with static.  Not to mention that it's MUCH cheaper than buying fabric softener (a 2-gallon jug is between $1-2).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gurlpurl

born 200 years too late

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004 03:42:28 PM »

i bet there are tons of us crafty housewives lurcking on craftster!  let me think...a house-y kind of tip....old cloth diapers ( if youre a mom too...like me!) are great as rags and also good to use as an inner lining to your own homemade pads ( like gladrags or whatever)  they last forever! 

and for those of us with wee ones still in diapers...like me... vinegar is great to throw in the wash water too since you're not supposed to use bleach on your cloth diapers...(or pads for that matter!)
crafty house fraus..UNITE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like bats
bookgirl
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004 07:14:12 AM »

Hey, other crafty marrieds!  Not a housewife, but married to a house-husband.  I don't have a lot of tips, but here are a couple you probably already know.  Ever thrown a party, and someone chooses to ignore your request for smokers to go outside?  To get rid of smoky smells, set out a glass of vinegar (is there anything vinegar can't do?).  It'll absorb the stinkiness.

And to get rid of food smells on your hands, like garlic and onions, just rub your fingers on some stainless steel -- like your sink faucet.  Magic!

Oh, and a third: to revive good crusty bread that's going stale, spritz with a little water and place in a warm oven for a few minutes.  The bread will reabsorb the moisture and be as good as new.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fit Your Image Size to Your Print Size
How to Draw Eriko from Dragon Crisis
How to Make Great Selections in Photoshop Elements 11
How to Draw Disco Bear from Happy Tree Friends
How to Draw Diego from Dora the Explorer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...