A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wool Allergy/Just ready to use acrylic?  (Read 1360 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

swaller
« on: March 07, 2007 06:20:18 PM »

So Im in a predicament here.

Im allergic to wool and pretty much all animal fibers. So that leaves me to cotton and all that other plant based stuff. But right now we have been doing laundry at my boyfriends parents, so doing swatches and getting gauge has been hard, and I just can't throw in a load of wash to pre-wash another gauge swatch.

Im just about ready to get some Caron Simply Soft out and cast on for a swatch for my sweater. No pre-washing, I can throw it in the machine, etc. But Im afraid I would sweat like all heck in it. Has anyone here made a sweater out of Simply Soft before? If so, how did it wear? Its a really soft yarn, Im just afraid it would be *too* warm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah

Sheep of a Different Color - Your source for handpainted Kitchen cottons and wool yarns!

www.colorfulsheep.e tsy.com
http://sheepofadifferentcolor.blogspot.com/
bunnyboo
"She is as wholesome as a bowl of cornflakes, and at least as sexy."

*Hi, my name is Bunny and I'm a swapaholic*

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007 06:26:59 PM »

I crochet very very tightly and several people have told me that it's so tight it looks like knitting. so with that in mind I'll tall you that I am totally broke and I almost ALWAYS use simply soft! I love it as far as acrylics go and I have terrible horrible allergies too  Angry I have found that it holds it's shape well has minimal pilling compared to red heart and other acrylics I have tried, and even less if i don't toss it in the dryer.

I would really reccomend using it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gifts, Purses, Crochet & Knitting Helpers, Papercrafts & More in my Etsy store...
www.courtneymarin.e tsy.com

Facebook Email Search: surfingmonkeyguy@hotmail.com

www.wists.com/bunnyboo
Always Open to Personal Swaps!!!!
trisarahtop
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007 06:28:25 PM »

Before you just go for Simply Soft, I suggest you check out Amy Singer (of Knitty)'s No Sheep For You. It's all about knitting with non-wool yarns, especially plant-based ones. There are tons of options besides acrylic, like corn, soy, bamboo, hemp, and of course cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
swaller
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007 09:00:12 PM »

TriSarahTop, I thought of that, but with having to pre-wash the swatches (and money) I got rather frazzled. Cotton, over time, wash after wash, seems to keep shrinking.. am I right here?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah

Sheep of a Different Color - Your source for handpainted Kitchen cottons and wool yarns!

www.colorfulsheep.e tsy.com
http://sheepofadifferentcolor.blogspot.com/
trisarahtop
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007 09:48:32 PM »

Honestly, I'm really not sure. I've only made dishcloths and stuff like that out of cotton, so I've never really paid attention. I don't think it shrinks constantly. Usually just a bit, after a wash or two, I think, if store-bought cotton clothes are anything to judge by.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
halfjackd
Confusing people since 1978

The attention just encourages her.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007 10:07:33 PM »

I've used Simply Soft for a sweater before and for what it is, I really love it.  I knit it at a loose gauge so I don't really sweat in it, though I have found that it doesn't keep me very warm either.  It's super soft and cuddly and it hasn't pilled very much despite several trips through the washer.  I say go ahead and give it a try; if you find you don't like it you won't be out much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If all else fails, hide.  It works for bunnies.

My blog:
Chaotic Crafter

26/100 ATCs completed for the 100 Theme Challenge
Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007 12:05:50 AM »

im allergic to wool too. poor us! stuck in a wool world lol.

anyway, i haven't used super soft because its jsut not sold where I am, but I can tell you that arcylic can get pretty toasty if its a soilod knit like garter, stockinette or something with cabling. A lacy pattern the other hand is not so bad. I made a couple of hats out of Bernat Satin, my synthtic of choice, and the cabled one is insanly hot (excellent of these damn cold Canadain winters) and the lacy one is quite cool. They both trap moisture though so what ever you decide on, make it large enough so you can wear a cotton tank or tee under it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
cranberry
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007 12:17:45 AM »

TriSarahTop, I thought of that, but with having to pre-wash the swatches (and money) I got rather frazzled. Cotton, over time, wash after wash, seems to keep shrinking.. am I right here?

Only if it's not treated. I know that cotton shrinks in length, not width. It shrinks between 5-7% on the initial hot water cycle.

You can use mercularised (sp)  cotton. It's treated with caustic soda and has that shiny sort of look to it. Also, cotton tends to stretch and loose its shape (if it's not mercularised).

There are other non animal fibres that you can investigate, like hemp, linen, bamboo, nylon blends, cotton/acrylic mixes, and etc. Of course, the thing with plant fibres, they tend not to have as much elasticity, but yeah <i>No Sheep for You</i> might be your best bet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007 05:16:16 AM »

I have the book, and it's awesome. It'll tell you all about the science of why different fibers behave the way they do, and how to pick the right one for whatever you're doing. It'll be more expensive than knitting everything with acrylic, sure, but so would knitting with wool if you could.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marykz

did I say one project at a time?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007 06:14:57 AM »

re: washing cotton- I don't wear much wool (itch city/ small hives).  I have found that if I treat my cotton things (FO's) as delicates I don't have problems (gentle wash, cool water, gentle agitation and NO DRYER).  I have a sweater  drying rack for the tub, and I just lay them out to dry there.  But I totally agree you should try to see No Sheep for You.  it is on my wish list to own.  I snuck a peek at my LYS and it is a great resource for those of us who just don't like wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 1/26
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 11/13
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 7/13
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 9/9
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 8/9
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...