A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
331 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugly old pants massacre! (lots of pictures) **NOW TITH TUTORIAL (sort of)**  (Read 2648 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

imrahil
« on: March 07, 2007 06:26:40 AM »

I found a lot of ugly old pants and decided to make them useful.

I cut them off to form a very short skirt, and then added more fabric. the hem on the green one is handsewn,  the sewing machine and that green fabric weren't exactly the best of friends. the purple fabric is doubled, so there is no hem on it.

Here's one of the victims, before:

and after:

the ruffle (is that right?) is some sort of silk-ish embroidered fabric. the colour is almost right in the picture.

this used to be a pair of worn-out blackish (washed-out too) pants too short for me and tight but still baggy Angry. but they make a nice skirt:

Here's my favourite - the Halloween skirt:

close-up of fabric

My plan was to give one of them to my sister for her birthday.. just having a little trouble deciding which one *want them all Grin* maybe I'll have to let her do the choosing..

All three of them:

HOW TO MAKE THESE

I don't know all the seweing terms in English, please tell me if anything seems to be wrong Shocked
This red line shows where to cut off the pants. Cut them above where the legs start. Then try it on to make sure it fits nicely and has the right length (which is any length you like).
It doesn't really matter if it looks way too short before attaching the ruffle, as you can add as much ruffle as you want to.

The ruffle that turned out best was the purple one, which is doubled. that way you don't need to worry about the hem, but you do use up a little more fabric. Measure the cut edge on the pants. The ruffle fabric needs to be at least twice that length. It is totally possible to join several shorter pieces together, you can hide the seams in the folds.

For the purple one, I used a 40 cm wide piece of the fabric, and doubled it so the finished ruffle is about 18 cm (20 when doubled and about 2 for the seam). I sewed the two edges together so I didn't need to worry about them sliding apart, and then started pinning it to the skirt and pleating it so that I used up the entire doubled piece. You may need to adjust the pleats as you go to make sure you have enough fabric for the whole ruffle.

This is a pretty good picture of how I did with the ruffle. What you see in the picture is the outside of the "pant-part" (help me with a better word Cheesy!), and the inside of the ruffle.

These instructions are a bit messy, but I hope they are of any help for you. Please ask if something sounds wrong or doesn't work!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007 11:19:15 PM by imrahil » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf

cassettetape--->BadWolf

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007 07:09:11 AM »

I lurve the halloween skirt. I like when I read the words 'halloween skirt' I thought it was going to be obnoxious and so forth but I was pleasantly surprised!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My username has changed from cassettetape to BadWolf.

"Does this shirt make me look like a party balloon?"-Mike

http://pinterest.com/marquesajen
amelie
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007 09:44:08 AM »

SO CUTE! The Halloween one is probably my fave, although I love the green one too! And the purple one! Ahhh they're all just too adorable!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
musicaddict05
Gavin DeGraw For Life

Happy Candle!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007 01:26:40 PM »

Those are so cute! I love the Halloween one. Where'd you get the fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, darling
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007 01:35:12 PM »

I love them all the Halloween skirt is the best , Im so jealous !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007 02:58:44 PM »

That's such a fantastic idea! I have a lot of jeans my mom gave me that are big in the seat and 2 inches too short I could do this with.

Is there any way I could get a bit of guidance? Where did you cut off the pants? And how did you do the ruffle? I've not tried to make a skirt before....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
saint_lexi
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007 03:11:37 PM »

yay for skirts!  and i love the halloween fabric
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SeeleVerloren
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007 04:43:37 PM »

Oh wow, those are cool. I love love love the Halloween one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imrahil
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007 10:35:51 PM »

Those are so cute! I love the Halloween one. Where'd you get the fabric?

I bought it in a Swedish fabric store,maybe there's something similar on ebay?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imrahil
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007 11:21:01 PM »

That's such a fantastic idea! I have a lot of jeans my mom gave me that are big in the seat and 2 inches too short I could do this with.

Is there any way I could get a bit of guidance? Where did you cut off the pants? And how did you do the ruffle? I've not tried to make a skirt before....

I have added some sort of tutorial, maybe it helps! I'm kind of a trial-and error person, but this turned out great on the first try Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Discover Montreal Graffiti Artist Zilon
Contemporary Artist Lindsay Chambers on Her Paintings
How to Read Art - Turkish Sentinel by Charles Bargue
How to Paint Reflectivity
How to Oil Paint with Hall Groat
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...