A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: matinee swing jacket-a-long (with pattern link)  (Read 6610 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tantrum
« on: March 06, 2007 10:38:55 AM »

I'm getting ready to start this jacket from the free Lion Brand pattern.
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60582A.html
Anyone else up for it?
I'm pretty new at this crochet deal and I'm going to try to sub Knit Picks "vacation" yarn in Sunshine. Does this seem like a feasible substitution?
Anyway I think this jacket is cute and y'all should make it with me.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013 07:44:11 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength"
tantrum
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007 10:46:35 AM »

Am I an asshole or something? Because no one ever replies to my posts. Anyway. I think I'm putting this project off for a while because I tried to start and the "vacation" yarn scared me. It's very thick/thin and slippery, it was hard to see the individual stitches. So I may make something else before I give it another go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength"
Tenille
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007 02:41:34 PM »

I think it looks like an interesting jacket. I'd love to see it when you finish it. I haven't got up the nerver to do clothing yet. Which is funny because I've noticed that I tend to leean towards the more complicated blankets, afghans ad scarves. Maybe i'm nuts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
callmeflower9
crafty college chick

crafty collegiate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007 07:51:10 AM »

I already finished this jacket! I used sugar'n'cream in a bright yellow. I was actually suprised how fast this went, i finished it in less than a week, maybe I have no life and all I do is crochet but I really like it, I wish it were more fitted, so I might make another one and make it smaller. I'll post pics soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kayler.etsy.com
tantrum
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007 12:17:18 PM »

Please do post pictures callmeflower9. I've been waylaid by a bunch of other project but I'd love to see your finished jacket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

callmeflower9
crafty college chick

crafty collegiate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007 11:28:51 AM »

OK! I finally had time to get these pics! sorry if they arn't great, it's hard taking pics of yourself without a mirror!

I used sugar'n'cream in a bright yellow, I was suprised how fast this worked up, I haven't worn it much cause it's been cold, but it would be a great spring jacket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kayler.etsy.com
Tenille
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007 11:36:55 AM »

That looks great. I'm almost inspired to try it myself, except for the shear amount of yarn it would take to make one in a size 24. lol. It's the price that gets me everytime I think about doing something big.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
callmeflower9
crafty college chick

crafty collegiate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007 11:48:12 AM »

the pattern is pretty big, I think I made a medium and I should have made a small. Try sugar'n'cream, it's cheap, easy to find, comes in lots of colors too! It took me like 7 or 8 balls of it for me to finish mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kayler.etsy.com
tantrum
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007 01:37:45 PM »

That looks great, callmeflower9, Love the yellow! You've inspired me to give it another shot. Maybe I will try sugar and cream as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

callmeflower9
crafty college chick

crafty collegiate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007 02:16:49 PM »

I think I am gonna make another one soon, using caron simply soft, I have a butt load of an off white color. I'm gonna make a small one this time the medium was too big. I'll probably start soon cause I have no life, if you guys wanna start too we can do it together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kayler.etsy.com
Laural
I like exclamation points!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007 02:21:27 PM »

Ok first I read the title wrong. I read it as manitee, like manatee. Then the first line of your second post has had me laughing for many minutes now.

I think it looks cute and I've printed the pattern. I will be foraging through my yarn stash when I get home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's put the FUN back in dysfunctional!!

Wists: http://wists.com/PrincessLaural
tantrum
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007 12:02:26 PM »

What size do you normally wear if you don't mind me asking? I'm 6 foot, 37" bust, would a medium be about right you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hookster
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007 01:05:18 PM »

I think I'm going to give this a shot as soon as I decide on what yarn to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
callmeflower9
crafty college chick

crafty collegiate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007 03:28:09 PM »

I'm 5'4" and I ususally wear a medium, i wish the pics were better so you could see how it fits, it's like a 50's jacket, not fitted and open. The medium is fine, but I want one that is less loose, esp in the sleeves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kayler.etsy.com
tantrum
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007 03:51:27 PM »

Okay. I started mine, also in yellow, what a copy cat, although I think not as bright a shade as callmeflower9's. By the way Sugar n' Cream is on sale for 99 cents a ball at Michaels right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lefty10
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007 05:49:27 AM »

Hi All

I love the look of this jacket.  My friend just finished one.  She used Lionbrand-homespun yarn.  It looks beautiful. I love to work with this yarn, but the only thing is that when you use Homespun the finished project gets a little fuzzy after awhile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hookster
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007 07:21:38 AM »

Question for those that have finished this jacket. I keep trying to do the gauge, 13hdc + 9 rows = 4 in. I am coming out with barely 3 inches and I don't crochet too tight. So...I thought maybe I was misunderstanding something...I was doing the width of 13 hdc and the height of 9 rows and then measuring the height. Is this correct? I even went up a size on my hook and still was around 3 inches. Any help is appreciated. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lefty10
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007 09:19:34 AM »

Hookster-

Are you using the same type of yarn weight that the pattern calls for?  If your not, then your gauge is not going to be the same. If the weight of the yarn is less, then your swatch is going to be smaller. Check to see what weight you're using then compare it to the pattern.   

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hookster
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007 10:25:27 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion Lefty10 Smiley , but I am using the same yarn as the pattern suggests...Lion Brand Cotton-ease. I'm at a loss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Notcheap13
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007 07:47:14 PM »

Biggest DUH moment ever!!!  Huh
I am making the jacket as well as a bottom of the bed blanket for my daughter.  I was tired and had it up to here with the little one. 
So all was quite and was watching amazing race.  Made 6 rows of the jacket frogged it and made 2 more and frogged those.  Made 4 more when I realized that I was NOT working with the right pattern.  I was doing the blanket V stitch on the Jacket.
DUH Huh
M
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tantrum
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007 08:59:19 PM »

Don't you hate that notcheap13. I finished the right side of the jacket the other night and went to bed. When I started working on the left I realized I had randomly added 3 rows to the right side- it was way too long. I have no idea what I was thinking. Otherwise, I'm coming along swimmingly. Starting on my last sleeve!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hookster
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007 08:29:11 PM »

Well, I'm almost done the back, which is great news. But, my Mom saw the pattern and I'm now setting mine aside to make one for her for Mother's Day. I crochet terribly slow, so wish me luck. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Notcheap13
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007 08:34:45 PM »

Roll Eyes but here you have your personal chearing squad ... keep us posted.
M Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tantrum
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007 10:03:08 PM »

I finished! I'll post a picture when I figure out what cord actually goes to my camera, grrr. I ended up changing the sleeves, making them shorter and gathered. I also managed to inflame my carpal tunnel. Looks like I'm going to have to take it easy on the crochet for a while, maybe only 4 hours a day instead of 8!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Notcheap13
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007 11:15:31 PM »

Cheesy
Way to GO!!!!
I have not gotten so far.  My boss seems to think I should go to work instead of crocheting!  Embarrassed
Then I was on jury duty and we could not bring anything to do but sit on the bench and listen to him talk.   Undecided
Can not wait to see the photos
M
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hookster
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2007 05:57:34 AM »

Congrats Tantrum!! I can't wait to see your pics. It always encourages me to see the beautiful end product. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fun4Tracey
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007 11:13:11 AM »

Is anyone still doing this CAL?  I started this jacket about the first of May out of TLC Plus (brick red color).  Intend to give it to my sister-in-law, who is tiny, so I'm making a small.

Where are those FO pics you guys?  I am on my last sleeve and need some inspiration!

PS - love the idea of doing this in Sugar-n-Cream.  May do that for myself - I, too, need a plus size Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hookster
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007 07:23:08 AM »

I am still working on this. I've been delayed because I'm in the process of moving. I have been having trouble with the raglan shaping on the front. Do you do the double, double, triple dec all the way thru?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dexterchickk
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007 06:33:25 PM »

YAY!  Just got some Sugar n Cream on sale so I'm starting tonight. My gauge keeps coming out a bit too big and all my hooks are who knows where, so I think I'll just go one size down.

I really wanted a bright yellow or orange jacket, but they didn't have either, so I got the white and I'm toying with the idea of dyeing (sp?) it afterward.  We'll see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007 07:41:15 PM »

Oh, I just found this one! Another pattern for my to-do list. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
pinkyrican
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007 07:50:08 PM »

CUTE! I have lots of simply soft that would work well for this! I really like the photos of it in yellow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hollylynne

step away from the cashmere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2007 09:49:51 AM »

has anyone tried this without the collar?  or, if anyone has made it with, do you think the collar would be easy enough to remove?  i really like the shape of the jacket, but i'm not so in to the collar.  thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tantrum
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2007 11:05:36 AM »

It would be extremely simple to leave the collar off, although you might want to do a row of sc around the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dexterchickk
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007 07:46:08 AM »

I started mine this weekend!  I have the back, right front, and most of the left front done.   Grin  This works up soooo fast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dexterchickk
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2007 12:24:00 PM »

So I've finished the back and both front pieces.  I got two rows into the first sleeve when it occurred to me that I should go buy another skein, just in case....Of course, they were out!!  It's just Sugar n Cream in white. I could order it online or maybe even find it at Walmart, but I plan on dyeing this, so I don't want to risk two lots that might take the dye differently.  So I'm trying to decide if I should shorten the sleeves a couple rows or just go for it and leave off the collar if I have to? Hmmmm......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkyrican
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2007 07:05:06 AM »

So I've finished the back and both front pieces.  I got two rows into the first sleeve when it occurred to me that I should go buy another skein, just in case....Of course, they were out!!  It's just Sugar n Cream in white. I could order it online or maybe even find it at Walmart, but I plan on dyeing this, so I don't want to risk two lots that might take the dye differently.  So I'm trying to decide if I should shorten the sleeves a couple rows or just go for it and leave off the collar if I have to? Hmmmm......

Does Sugar n  Cream have different dye lots? I haven't ever dyed yarn myself so I don't know if it would make a difference- I think this pattern would be cute with  a shorter sleeve, like 3/4 length maybe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tantrum
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2007 06:45:36 PM »

So 3 months later I'm posting picture of my finished jacket!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010 10:46:15 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2007 07:47:09 PM »

That looks really cute! Very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
olive415

Moderation in all things, including moderation

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007 06:21:40 AM »

Your jacket turned out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hookster
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007 08:24:57 AM »

That jacket is so cute! Great modifications.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkyrican
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2007 09:36:51 AM »

nice job tantrum, I like the short sleeves. what yarn did you end up using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tantrum
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2007 06:24:40 PM »

Thanks guys. i used sugar and cream as a kind of trial. It's  faded a lot though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_talk
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2007 10:14:23 PM »

I have a question on modifications...
I'm making mine with sugar and cream in well...cream. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to attach a hood instead of a collar and if you think I hood will weigh down the jacket/distract from the "look" of the jacket
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarrr matey
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2007 06:30:47 AM »

OK! I finally had time to get these pics! sorry if they arn't great, it's hard taking pics of yourself without a mirror!
I used sugar'n'cream in a bright yellow, I was suprised how fast this worked up, I haven't worn it much cause it's been cold, but it would be a great spring jacket!

that lady in the pattern photo makes the jacket look a bit momish. like she's ready to jump in the minivan and pick up the kids from soccer practice, which put me off this jacket. but you make it look very chic and young. perhaps it's the color choice. anyway, good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
the_talk
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2007 10:30:56 PM »

I'm having trouble with shaping the right front. It seems that one side should be straight while the other curves inwards with a semi-circle type look...however, I don't see how that is achieved through repeating the raglan sleeve shaping that was used to do that back (Seems more like a triangle w/ the tip cut off for the back).

Help...please?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Curried Shrimp and Cauliflower
How to Make a Red-Curry Chicken Stir-Fry
Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
Non-Traditional Asian Brined Turkey Recipe
Spicy Chicken Curry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...