A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,312
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: built by wendy/ simplicity 3835  (Read 3696 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2007 09:52:07 PM »

i made this out of some cotton i got on clearance, and the red poly/ cotton print was the first fabric i ever bought to sew with as an adult (i don't want to think about the dinosaur print and terrifying psychadelic polyster i thought was totally cool when i was 14).

despite the dim picture and the unironed hem, this is actually a very cool dress. it's super comfy, and got me lots of compliments.

and i put a zip in okay, all by myself! First zip unaccompanied, second zip ever. though good ol' mum gave me some tips for next time.

for close ups of the sleeve lining and a bit more on the making process (and tips if youre thinking of making it), see here.
http://lupinbunny.blogspot.com/2007/03/sewn-thing-built-by-wendy-simplicity.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princess76
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007 06:56:35 AM »

Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cleandirty
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007 09:36:31 AM »

So cool!  I am making a version in dark lightweight denim right now, so it is great to see this pattern turning out well for people!

One question . . . how do you feel about the length?  I am a little concerned about the amount of leg I would be showing if I made this view exactly as indicated . . . it looks great on you btw, I'm just interested in your thoughts . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I know a girl, who had premarital sex?  Do you know what she did on graduation day?  DIED! -- Mr. Weir, Freaks and Geeks
fingertip
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007 10:18:17 AM »

totally cute and functional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The End.
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007 10:20:42 AM »

I LOVE the pattern.   I made one out of some misc. fabric that was a large houndstooth--it looked great but was too "delicate" for a dress (although I finished off the seams to prevent fraying, it tore at the seams anyway).  BUT, it looked nice, so I plan on re-making it with more suitable fabric.  One more note: I found the arms pretty small and same with the bust  so I will make it a size or two larger next time(which is weird because I made the Built by Wendy 3966 jacket in the same size and it fit great  Smiley, but I suppose it it a more relaxed fit).

Your dress is wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

buttonsandstars
Buttons

Just keep knitting, knitting, knitting...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007 11:50:15 AM »

That is one BEAUTIFUL dress !!
You did a great job there. And I love the combination of fabrics you chose. It's really really lovely.
Just wondering, Do they only sell Built By Wendy patterns in the US? Cus I haven't seen any in England.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annacharlotte
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007 12:03:28 PM »

I'm so happy to see this posted cuz I just bought it at Joann's at the President's Day sale.  It's tops on my list to make, but I was thinking of adding a sash...  I'm not so big on the waistless (again, as a previous poster noted, it looks great on you, I just find I like a little cinch in the middle). 

As for the far-off English with no Built By Wendy, a bet you could arrange a personal swap with someone here.  Joann's (a big US craft store) often has sales where her patterns are 5 for $5.  I know I'd be happy to snag some for you in exchange for some UK swag or craftiness.   Wink  PM me if you're interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007 05:26:54 PM »

So cool!  I am making a version in dark lightweight denim right now, so it is great to see this pattern turning out well for people!

One question . . . how do you feel about the length?  I am a little concerned about the amount of leg I would be showing if I made this view exactly as indicated . . . it looks great on you btw, I'm just interested in your thoughts . . .

i hemmed it between the 'dress' and 'minidress' length. means that it's short, but if i bend over ain't noone gonna see my knickers! i'm a little taller than a standard dress model (5' 7"). Normally i don't wear skirts above the knee, but the A-line shape of this really suits. Because of the sleeves and high neckline i don't feel exposed or anything.

AnnaCharlotte: I'd be hesitant about putting in a sash. it's not actually loose & shapeless like the body of an empire-line dress, it's quite a definite A-line/ trapeze dress, and i think a sash could look a little odd. i was unsure about its sackiness, and decided i liked it as is (though Mr Bunny was of the opinion i should sew the waist in more - he always thinks things should be figure-hugging though Wink ).

also, i'm in australia, and bought the pattern from sewingpattern.com when they had a half price sale. but plenty of lovely US craftsters would be willing to swap, i'm sure. i have half a mind to organise a 'My country doesn't have that pattern!' swap (patterns swapped with whatever).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty_Witch15
BLT

copper boom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007 05:44:54 PM »

Yay, another wonderful Built by Wendy pattern! I really need to get me some fabric for this dress now that I keep finding great FO's like this!!

p.s. I am a jealous Canadian, no fabric store up here has five for $5 sales  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my fashion blog

http://karent.wordpress.com/
annacharlotte
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007 06:56:48 PM »

I think that pattern swap would go over quite well!  I know I'd be interested...though I don't know what goodies are available overseas. 

Maybe I can embrace the a-line...I did just get a dress I love that has a similar shape.  It's sort of a shirt/dress cross, though, so jeans underneath. 

Sounds like I've got a lot of thinkin' to do... Undecided  These sure are weighty issues.  I sure do have a lot of things I should be doing besides being on Craftster right now... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brow Makeover With Kelley Baker: Growing Out Your Brows
Beauty Expert Shares Surprising Summer Factors That Can Cause Wrinkles
Could Potato Skins Get Rid of Your Gray Hair?
Tips for Hiding Your Varicose Veins This Summer
How to Protect Your Hair From Sweat This Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...