A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: When teaching others to knit...  (Read 4883 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

subloke
« on: October 23, 2004 06:02:31 PM »

...  make sure you know how yourself! 

I have been knitting for years and years.  My grandma and then my mom taught me.  I have taught others to knit, proudly and happily passing on my obsession with all things yarn. 

Today, I realized that I should learn to knit continental, as it might be easier on my right wrist and might possibly be faster.  So, I was watching a video on-line to learn how to purl continental.  I thought "Huh, they wrap the yarn over the right needle in continental.  That's weird."  Then I thought, "Huh, I wonder what it shows for the English/American/Throwing method."  Every resource I found (including my books at home) showed me that I DO IT WRONG!!!  I've always wondered why my stocking stitch looks slightly like there's a bit of a twist, but I knew that i was doing the knit right, and never thought about the purl side. 

So, now am I responsible to go to all of the people I've taught and correct my mistake?   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004 07:38:36 PM »

eh, as long as they are happy there is no particular harm unless it is just eating you up inside.  It's great that you learned how though!

I have found that knowing how to knit with my right or my left hand has been incredibly beneficial.  After the cast-on row, just look at how the person automatically picks up the yarn (most will do this without thinking).  if they [pick up with the right hand, teach the right hand way, if they automatically pick up the yarn with the left hand, it's best to teach them to tension with the left hand.

It's wonderful to know how to knit with either hand for teaching and for fair isle or double knit projects as well.d
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Meow Wont Purr
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Valerian Aquarian

All Is Full Of Love

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004 08:57:38 AM »

thats funny, subloke--I learned how to crochet wrong, and I taught my sister... so I learned my mistake but...well... I think my sister's lumpy/pokey/knotty scarves are very becoming.... ahem.
On another note--I want to learn how to knit so badly, it could be the backwards and upside-down kind of wrong and I'd still love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To be matter of fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy -- and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." --Robert A. Heinlein
crafterinShanghai
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004 09:10:02 AM »

I've just started knitting (a little over a year now) and been taught how to knit by my cleaning woman. I have to learn by seeing what she's doing. She don't read any books on knitting as she cannot decipher the knitting abbreviations (same with me). So we just look at the books I have and look at the photos to see how the design is knitted. She sometimes has her ways of going about it so sometimes I wonder if I'm learning the right or wrong ways of knitting. In any case,it is very addicting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreamin2
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004 06:49:44 PM »

thats funny, subloke--I learned how to crochet wrong, and I taught my sister... so I learned my mistake but...well... I think my sister's lumpy/pokey/knotty scarves are very becoming.... ahem.
On another note--I want to learn how to knit so badly, it could be the backwards and upside-down kind of wrong and I'd still love it.

I did the same thing! This summer I taught myself to crochet and then my sister wanted me to show her to. I taught her a couple of things that turned out to be wrong. I got tired of saying, "hey remember what I showed you...yeah that was wrong..."

So now i'm being "rewarded" with a wonderful acrylic baby blue and green granny square scarf. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vonneguttermouth

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004 08:36:57 AM »

So, now am I responsible to go to all of the people I've taught and correct my mistake?   Undecided

It's not like you gave them an STI or anything. 

I say keep your secret and they'll always be in wonder as to why your work looks so much better--it's the first step to stardom.

PS I did the same thing with teaching my ladies to knit in the wrong, but don't tell anyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004 10:45:16 PM »

vonneguttermouth- what an idea!
Genious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004 10:06:05 PM »

thers no such thing as the wrong way to knit.  knitting swiss/cont style is stat fastr though.  i knit cont but everyone pretty much that ive taught knits the other way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
subloke
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004 09:32:02 AM »

I didn't mean that I was knitting in the wrong style (ie continental vs. english/throwing).   I meant that I was actually making a twisted stitch by accident everytime i purled because i was actually putting the yarn in the wrong place! 

Since originally posting this, I have become a continental knitter.  i don't know why i never learned this before.  i crochet so it really makes more sense for me. 

i have also learned how to purl so that my stitches are not twisted.  all is well.

if only i could get some of my millions of christmas present projects finished before i start another one.  oh, wait.  i started another one last night.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
principessa
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004 10:48:50 AM »

Now I am overwhelmed by curiosity...my stiches twist ever so slightly too. I am going to have to check some perl diagrams.  I learned how to knit about 32 years ago and just taught two teenagers at thanksgiving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004 07:55:30 AM »

I flatter myself with beeing able to knit whatever I want, but I simply cannot teach. I've tried to show my daughters (when they were actually interested for about five minutes) but I don't have the patience and I can't put in words what I know in my hands. Weird.
Lucky for me my mum didn't have the same restrictions in her head. Sic. She was the better mum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005 04:07:19 AM »

According to some, I knit "wrong" as well. But it comes out with the same damn results. When I taught my friend, she was left handed so it was awkward for me, but she got the general idea and does it different than I and she's doing great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
Unfinished Projects
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008 02:33:23 PM »

I know this is an old thread (OK, VERY OLD), but I had NO IDEA there was another way to knit!  I'm going to try the continental way and it will probably be much quicker.

Oh, and I found a youtube link and sent it to my Mom, who taught me to knit 30 years ago!!! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008 07:42:40 PM »

I have been knitting for  4 years now and took one class by an eccentric teacher..I too have wondered if I learned the 'right' way..especially now that people are asking me to teach them..jeepers if I am doing it wrong then I could teach them wrong..

anywho..I wouldnt worry too much about it..I think the trick now is retraining yourself to do it without the twist..good luck..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Origami Peacock
How to Create Origami Star
How to Create an Origami Christmas Tree
How to Create a Santa Origami
How to Create Origami Dragon
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...