A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,047
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Removing Stucco from Interior Walls  (Read 6355 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BadWords
« on: March 05, 2007 09:35:32 AM »

My fiance and I are buying our first home. It's very exciting--and very problematic. The house is kind of funky and in need of some love.

Our very first homeowner task is going to be to take off the stucco, which is covering every inch of the house--it even goes up and down the brand new windows!

Most of the websites I've seen insist that you can only tear down the drywall and start anew, but I found a thread on the Bob Vila message board that suggests to use wallpaper paste and a bit of dish detergent as a stucco-removing -solution. Has anyone heard of this before?

I would really appreciate any ideas and feedback--I know someone here must have gone through this!

EDIT: This is the link for the wallpaper paste + dish detergent removal. http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/101345.html
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007 09:49:43 AM by BadWords » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007 10:36:26 AM »

My best friend accidently popped the cork on a cheap bottle of baby duck champagne a little too vigorously and it sprayed all over her stucco'd wall and stripped it off when she tried to wash it, so she got another bottle and finished the job and was quite pleased with herself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadWords
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007 06:37:20 AM »

Interesting... So I just need about a hundred bottles of cheap champagne. That would be an excellent story, if nothing else!

"So, how did you guys do the nursery walls?"
"Well, we bought 50 bottles of Korbel Brut to start....."

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007 09:54:02 AM »

I think it was the bubbling action and acidic nature of the champagne that did the trick so a citric acid/baking soda mix would have done the same,  I also  suspected that her stucco may have been faked with mudding compound and wasn't in fact true stucco.  Maybe this could be the case for you as well?  I would definitely try that dish soap thing as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amused
earthbound misfit

I can fly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007 10:03:03 PM »

If it hasn't been painted and sealed it'll come off pretty easy (like that "popcorn" ceiling crap) but if it's on all the walls i assume it's painted. Get a good sander with a vacuum on it, good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
letuescarpe

I'm a jackass of all trades.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007 09:57:53 AM »

We had a wall in our kitchen that was covered in joint compound. The only way to remove it was to knock the wall down and put a new one up (which sucked). In smaller areas where we had that same joint compound-swirl texture, we sanded it down with orbital sanders and skim coated it with joint compound.

I have read that, if the texture is that "popcorn" stuff (like on ceilings), you can spray water on it, let it soak a little bit, and then scrape it off.

If soaking doesn't work, and your walls have voids in them and aren't really bumpy, I strongly suggest the skim-coating. Just mix a small amount of water with joint compound (the consistency of mayonnaise) and spread it all over the area, filling in the cracks.

Good luck! Knocking walls down can be fun, but mudding drywall is a tedious (and dusty) job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadWords
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007 10:51:56 AM »

Thanks for all of your help! You guys have been great!

The Update:

The walls (along with everything else!) are sprayed with the stucco/popcorn/textured stuff...on top of PANELLING!

At first I was very excited, because I have become a pro at ripping down panelling! After consulting with my crafty dad, however, I became much less excited. It turns out that the panelling is covering holes...rows and rows of holes in the drywall from when they updated the electrical system. SO. If I wanted to rip down the panels, I would have to re-rock my entire house....at least that seems to be the general agreement.

Looks like I will be living with textured walls for a few more years until I can afford to do the whole thing right. :-(

Oh well--it's still a lovely house. ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
letuescarpe

I'm a jackass of all trades.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007 05:08:22 AM »

Why not skim-coat the paneling (to get rid of the ridges) and then put up some interesting wallpaper over it? I just saw someone do that on that "DIY to the Rescue" show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadWords
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007 07:38:52 AM »

Hmm, I hadn't really given wallpaper a thought yet. That could be a good solution! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy, Healthy Lettuce Wrap Recipe
How to Make Diane Ladd’s Southern Japanese Tofu Dish
Give Shrimp Pad Thai a Soba Noodle Twist the Haylie Duff Way
How to Make Sunny Anderson’s Quick Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Here Is a Fantastic Green Bean Tempura Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!
Which Came First?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...