A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Banner for Youth Retreat  (Read 629 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DarthSqurl
« on: March 04, 2007 08:17:16 PM »

Hi! I volunteered my crafty self to make a banner for a retreat for the youth in my church (I'm an adult leader  Smiley ).  The theme of the retreat is "The Gifts of the Holy Spirit."  (I don't remember them offhand right now; I'll edit this post later to put them in).

In the past retreat banners are made out of a large piece of felt (like 5ft wide and 5 ft high) with some fabric glued to it.  They always look great, but I want to do something really creative and different this time.  You know, get away from "felt background with fabric picture." I really want to do something three dimensional.  But...I'm stumped.

At one point, all the kids will be putting their name somewhere on the banner, so there needs to be an option for that too.

Ok...so...here is my plea for help.
Any ideas?!?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, my guinea pig is hairless.
S is for Summer

Im a really slow knitter without magic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007 10:23:10 PM »

I just tonight got back from a retreat that they do twice a year, and each one has its own banner.  They were all displayed this afternoon and I had a good look at them.

Many of them were the felt-on-felt variety, but a lot of them were quilted wallhangings, too, and I found those really beautiful.  Some of them were very complex with intricate stitching, some were more just simple applique with a little quilting.  A lot of them had three dimensional aspects worked in ("A Joyful Noise" had some bells in the corner, I remember, and there was one of a cross with a vine, and then there were three dimensional grapes that hung from the vine.)  Another one I saw was made more horizontal - the actual cloth part was about 1 foot tall by 3 or 4 feet wide, and that had the words on it - but it filled out the length of the more regular banners with puffy strings dangling on hearts from the banner.  So it wound up taking up exactly the same space on the wall as the other banners, but it did it differently. 

There was one... I can't remember the theme... but it had an open bible, and then it had ribbons that went from the bible out to between these words, and they were things like gentleness, kindness, etc.  The ribbons were stitched down only at the beginning and the end, and they were kind of gauzy.  So that added a little bit of a different thing to it, that they hung mostly free.

The thing I kind of liked about the ones that were quilted was that it lent them some of the weight and solidness that the felt ones had, but the overall feel was less kitsch and less heavy.  There was one that was lurexy stuff, and one that was single layer quilting cotton, and those "felt" kind of flimsy to me.  But the quilted ones had the right sort of... weight to them.

Anyway.  Those were my observations.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DarthSqurl
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007 02:42:29 PM »

Ooo I like the idea of having a long narrow banner with stuff hanging down...

I'm sure the quilted ones are beautiful, but I don't have the time/skill to make a quilted one. And the banners are thrown out after 2 years (or else the youth minister would have a room full of them!)>

Thanks for the input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, my guinea pig is hairless.
kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007 09:14:19 PM »

You could use butcher paper to make a stencil for the words...just print out the words the size you want and lay under the paper and trace and cut and iron down.  This would be an awesome oppurtunity to paint the letters underneath a solid color, then layer on glitter or pearlescent paints over the top.  It would look cool with the ribbons hanging down too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Look: A Fresh Faced Modern Bride
How a Foam Roller Can Give You a Facelift in 50 Seconds
Get Taylor Swift’s Bold Red Lip From Her 2012 Glamour Cover
How to Contour for Your Face Shape
Learn the Trick to Get Bright Open Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...