A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
332 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about toddlers and hats for those more experienced  (Read 724 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RenaissanceGrrl

the giant pear

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2004 01:30:12 PM »

I have a little question for all you parents, older siblings, and baby-caretakers out there....how bad are hats that tie under the chin for your average 1.5 year old? I mean do the tassels immediately go in the mouth for a good chew? Or is it worth the chewing to have the hat stay on? I'm making my niece a hat for xmas and I think it would look cute with earflaps and pompons on the tie strings, just not sure it would be a good idea. (incedently, if anyone out there knows a nice simple pattern for a child's hat with earflaps, I'm all ears Wink although I may just wing it)

Sorry to be so child-ignorant....I seem to have made it 30 years without much baby-contact.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aada
If I run out of tacos, I can no longer maintain my human form

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004 02:03:27 PM »

no clue about munchkins chewing on hats, but the kittyville hat pattern is really simple and has both earflaps and pompoms....

use this pattern for the basic design...add whatever you want on the top...
http://kittyville.com/knit/devil_hat.html

ime: most kids like to chew on anything, i figure as long as the hat is clean, it shouldn't be a problem. and the texture of most yarn will turn off most kids...*gets that annoying squeaky sound of wool on teeth....ickkkkkk*

but if they get it wet enough, they will nibble all the time...but it's a kid! let 'em chew....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004 02:08:07 PM »

the kid might chew on it but that's really no big deal.  Keeps em occupied!  My son is a bit over 1.5 years and doesn't OFTEN chew on things like that, but he does occasionally.  Like has already been said, as long as the item as clean, there's really no harm in it. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004 05:41:04 PM »

I don't have kids, but i have 5 nieces & nephews and many friends with kids (I'm a born auntie-- no interest in being a mommy)...  and I know from all that baby/toddler interaction that some kids automatically put EVERYTHING in their mouths, some kids hardly ever do.  My best friend has twins and when they were smaller, they put everything in their mouths, sucked on stuffed animals, sweater sleeves, phone cords, licked carpet to see what it felt like, etc. 

My advice would be to ask the parent if it would bother them (the parent).  Obviously if the knit object is a surprise, this won't work, but it seems that some parents are far more , er, cautious about what their kids come into contact with.  If the mom/dad is okay with it, I say go for cute! 

Another thing to think about is:  will the fibers/individual strands come loose and be swallowed if the ends of the ties are sucked on.  I made tassles for a poncho for my friend's 2 year old daughter (one of the above mentioned sucker twins) and I pulled on the tassles as much as I could before I gave it to her to make sure that the yarn wouldn't come loose easily.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
woodchick
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004 05:49:02 PM »

Here's my $.02...

If you're at all worried about the chewing issue, why not make the chin ties a bit shorter, somewhat wide and then attach a snap to hold the ties together right under the chin.

This way the munchkin can't get the ties in her mouth and Mom doesn't have to worry that it will 'magically' come untied and fall off.

~woodchick~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the Blog: www.prwdot.org
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004 07:47:07 PM »

The snap tie is a great idea!  You could find out pretty easily by just asking a non-chalant question of the parents whether the child in question would be liable to chew on something like that.  As the mother of a toddler, I LOVE ear flaps.  And my husband loves any kind of hat which makes his daughter look more like a Canadian hockey player.  ("No, dear.  She doesn't need to learn to skate before she's 3.  Do they even MAKE skates that small?")
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
RenaissanceGrrl

the giant pear

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004 08:25:41 PM »

Do they even MAKE skates that small?

Why, yes, they do! We start 'em young up here in Maine.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I think I'll drop a few inquiries to her nurse (the wee one is disabled so they have a day care nurse), she'll be able to tell me without letting on to mom. But for now I'll just start knitting away and try a style that leave me room for modification later. It'll probably be like the kittyville hat only a bit more rounded. It's going to look like Hello Kitty in the end. I'll definitely post pics, this could end up mind-numbingly cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back To School Fashion: The Camo Look
Back To School Fashion: Animal Print For Girls
Back To School Fashion: The Preppy Look
Kids Fashion: The Surfer Look
Kids Fashion: The Nautical Look
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...