A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: trying to make a quilt from pixels  (Read 1420 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftgirl_sampson
« on: March 04, 2007 03:25:33 PM »

i wanna out this picture into a quilt for when i go off to college so i'm wondering if any one could get it into pixels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to to personal swaps  Smiley Tongue

Check out Aroha trip to Canada
http://arohameetstheworld.piczo.com/?cr=6
mini
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007 04:34:06 PM »

You want to make the whole thing? Yikes. That seems super difficult! Not to be a total bummer, it's just that I'm always looking for the easiest way! But have you thought of printing (on fabric) a bunch of pictures from that game and making the quilt with those?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007 05:18:17 PM »

Wow!  That's a lot of squares!  I checked out the image size and your looking at 200 x 267.  That's 53,400 squares!!

You might want to think about simplifying it, or choosing just a portion of it.

Here's a 20x20 section of just Link, to give you an idea of the scale.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

maevefairy

hulk like whoa!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007 05:52:45 PM »

that would be a bad ass quilt, but from experience, you should try to find a simpler pattern.  by the end you will be so sick of sewing all those blocks together.  i made this for my boyfriend for his birthday last april and i'm still finding thread from this thing stuck to my clothes.  it took me about a month of working on it several hours a day (sometimes 8 on the weekends!).  it came out the size of a twin and i had about 4,500 1.5 inch squares.  it took a lot of prep work in photoshop to graph the whole thing out.  he absolutely loved it, but it was a lot of work.  if you need any help, let me know! good luck!

this is before i bound it.  it's a terrible cell phone picture. swear it wasn't that wonky.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
suganspyyce
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007 06:04:26 PM »

for the background you could just use a whole piece of cloth and sew a grid on it so it looks like it was pieced, when it comes to the characters you could piece those and either applique them or cut out from the background and piece it together like that, if that makes sense.  To make it look like it was all pieced, you could use a high loft batting so that the quilting sinks in to better look like it is piecing lines. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silverblayze
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007 08:18:00 PM »

that would be a bad ass quilt, but from experience, you should try to find a simpler pattern.  by the end you will be so sick of sewing all those blocks together.  i made this for my boyfriend for his birthday last april and i'm still finding thread from this thing stuck to my clothes.  it took me about a month of working on it several hours a day (sometimes 8 on the weekends!).  it came out the size of a twin and i had about 4,500 1.5 inch squares.  it took a lot of prep work in photoshop to graph the whole thing out.  he absolutely loved it, but it was a lot of work.  if you need any help, let me know! good luck!

this is before i bound it.  it's a terrible cell phone picture. swear it wasn't that wonky.

AMAZING!!!! My brother would love something like this. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look to the heavens; she shimmers as a star.

Blog:a Shimmering Star

Etsy:With Eyes Lifted
craftgirl_sampson
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007 09:00:28 AM »

i really want to do the whole thing. the time and effort isn't a big thing. i have until september to make it so i think thatwould give me enough time. and i can not print them out because there not eough picture that i like. thank you everyone.

and if anyone knows a program that cinnamon teal used and where i be abe to get a free trail. thanks again
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007 10:02:29 AM by craftgirl_sampson » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to to personal swaps  Smiley Tongue

Check out Aroha trip to Canada
http://arohameetstheworld.piczo.com/?cr=6
cinnamon teal
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007 01:30:51 PM »

and if anyone knows a program that cinnamon teal used and where i be abe to get a free trail. thanks again

I just sent you a pm about this, but I wanted to add it here, too, in case someone else is interested.
I used adobe photoshop to change the image - I just zoomed in a lot and cropped it to size.  Here's a link to adobe's photoshop page.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/
Click on the link on the right to download a free trial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pertelot
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007 07:24:12 PM »

Shocked if you want to do that whole picture, i wish you the greatest of luck... once i get up the effort i wanted to make a link quilt for my boyfriend using this picture http://www.smashboards.com/fzero/emblems/link_l.jpg which would be easier... maybe it could help you out a bit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mini
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007 05:47:11 AM »

Shocked if you want to do that whole picture, i wish you the greatest of luck... once i get up the effort i wanted to make a link quilt for my boyfriend using this picture http://www.smashboards.com/fzero/emblems/link_l.jpg which would be easier... maybe it could help you out a bit

Is that from the Zelda game? I used to have that on my game boy (like 10 years ago! I'm so old!) But I got stuck on a particular level and could get out. So, i'm afraid I dumped it.... But I live seeing that little guy he really is so cute!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beach House Memories Book Trailer
Michelle Harrison on Her New Book Unrest
Hilary Weisman Graham on Her Book Reunited
Bremmer on His Book Every Nation For Itself in a G-Zero World
Sequels: Do You Need to Read the First Book?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...