A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,935
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm looking for vibrant, hot pink dye...what's the best brand?  (Read 1161 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GreenWhimsy

My hosiery is bunching!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2007 02:17:06 PM »

Hey Craftsters! Long time no see >.<. My senior prom is coming up and I'm having a lot of trouble finding affordable prom dresses in my (plus)size and I can't sew, so I plan on just trying to find a light-colored base dress and altering it. The problem is, I have my heart set on something hot, vibrant pink. I mean, as obnoxiously bright pink as possible ^_^. Something like http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/greenwhimsy/awesomedress.jpg. Is it possible for me to achieve this with a dye? And if so, which brand? I've only ever used Rit dye and I don't think it will make it. Any ideas would be highly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007 02:25:24 PM »

What fabric are you using? The type of fiber determines what type of dye you need. That being said you SHOULD use a natural fiber. Dyeing synthetic fibers is (I think) just a bad idea. The dye particles are really dangerous...like my friend said "Don't use it if you think you want to have children in the future" dangerous. (Yes people do it, they have done it at school, but I wouldn't unless it was in the proper place, a place strictly dedicated to dyeing, well ventelated and with a resporator.) I guess for a prom-type dress would be silk as opposed to cotton. Silk you can dye with acid dye (dyes for protein fibers) but fiber reactive dyes (which are for cotton/plant fibers) also work on silk. Check out www.dharmatrading.com for more information and supplies. Acid dye also works on nylon if you want to dye your own tulle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
AndreaLynn
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007 08:51:14 AM »

JoAnn's and Michael's sell Dylon dye (comes in powder form, and they have some great vibrant colors) --- though I haven't tried using it on fabric, so I don't know how it comes out, or how it washes.

Another product that has nice bright colors is Simply Spray (also carried by JoAnn's and Michael's). It's in a spray can, but is a flexible fabric dye.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GreenWhimsy

My hosiery is bunching!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007 04:51:44 PM »

Thanks so much for the replies! Sorry I'm a little late with mine Tongue.

hoxierice - thanks for the tip on acid dyes! Like I said, I don't have much experience in this area and so had never heard of them, though they sound interesting. It looks like there's only that one brand, though. Do you know if they're available in any chain stores?

AndreaLynn - spray sounds like an interesting alternative! I'd never thought of it before. If I could find the right color,t hat might be the best bet yet! Or maybe a combination of things done in layers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007 05:00:13 PM »

I don't know if you can buy it in stores, whenever I go to like Michaels, they don't have a very good selection/variety of types of dye.

I think the spray sound interesting too. Maybe you could find fabric in a close color, or slightly contrasting..not the right word color so you have two tones...the base and the spray. I am tired and can't think of words right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
GreenWhimsy

My hosiery is bunching!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007 03:21:05 PM »

I think the spray sound interesting too. Maybe you could find fabric in a close color, or slightly contrasting..not the right word color so you have two tones...the base and the spray. I am tired and can't think of words right now.

It's alright ^_^. That's what I was thinking, as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AndreaLynn
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007 07:33:43 AM »

Yeah the only thing with the spray though is make sure your fabric is totally flat - since the spray was made to be an easy alternative to tie dye-ing with liquid dye, if there's a fold or any overlapping, it will catch that and won't seep through (which can be a good thing in some cases, but not so good in others lol). Here's a link with info if you haven't looked it up already

http://www.fabricspraypaint.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thegoodsheep
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007 08:40:10 PM »

I like the landscape range of dyes (which like me is Australian) Galah is a great bright pink that I use a lot when dyeing wool, but they have good range. It will only dye animal fibre though (wool silk etc and nylon for some strange reason.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

haloriot
S $ Millionaire

(too many cat friends)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007 08:25:50 PM »

first you should decide on what sort of fiber you'll be using.

if you are using a cellulosic fiber (cotton, rayon, linen, etc.) i recommend using procion fiber reactive dyes. wear gloves. i just did a sample skein for my weaving & dyeing class a few weeks ago and at 1% color (less concentration of dye in process) for fuschia my yarn was HOT HOT pink. the girl who did 3% was even brighter. that's just an idea for you... you can increase that up to 5% too.

for other fibers (wool, silk, ec.), try acid dye. i am weary about dyes from chain stores, but jaquard brand is good if they have that. the more you use, the more intense the color.

good luck! and wear a mask when working with powdered dyes. you DO NOT want to inhale any of those particles.

dharmatrading is the best place to get it from. they are in san rafael, ca if your in the bay area, but the mailorder EVERYWHERE.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What happened to Monday?"
"Irrelevant."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 10 Notes: Jane Eyre
Hillary Clinton on the Message of Hard Choices
Antonin Scalia: A Court of One
Why Writers Are Chasing the Art World
From Fandom to Obsession: The Cult Following of Bob Dylan
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...