A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Have you ever made a bag and wanted to kick yourself afterwards?  (Read 1611 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2007 03:39:50 AM »

Just a slight vent I really could kick myself for this one.

We had a suprise babyshower for a friend last night, and I had made her a babybag that I thought was so very very cute (chocolate brown & aqua messenger bag 'short trip' style) but after talking to her on Friday she mentioned seeing a bag on ebay she really wanted that they would customize with her baby's name on the flap.  But that they wanted $65 for that and she was toying with wether or not to spend that much on the bag. 

Well the lightbulb went off in my head (I have an embroidery machine!) and I rushed home and started working on a new diaper bag for her from a white Vinyl/PVC with black piping.  I did it messenger bag style as well and embroidered the baby's name on a black/white polka dot heart on the flap, I lined it in black/white polka dots, put an extra pocket on the side of the bag to hold a bottle, made a little section inside the bag with 4 pockets on it to hold the 'baby essentials' in miniature (lotion, powder, desatin, soap) that connected with snap buckles Put an extra big pocket on the opposite side, and attached a D-ring and one of those little 'portable' trash bag caddy's to the D-ring.  I worked on the bag for almost 12 hours straight between planning/drafting & sewing it up.  I finally crashed after my crafting Rendavous about noon yesterday.  Hubby woke me up just before 5 when we were to go to the shower. 

We get there and She and her husband arrive and we are all having a fantastic evening (Strange 'ritual' amongst our friends was a baby shower/BBQ/excuse to watch a UFC fight - night)  We came back home around midnight and I realized I didn't take my camera & I didn't get pictures of the bag before we left. 

I could just kick myself Sad  I wonder if she would think it's too strange if I called her and asked her to bring it by so I can get pictures of it lol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
mebsmommy

searching for inspiration in everything

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007 07:13:01 AM »

Heck yah!  I have done the exact same thing and have gone back to the recipient so I could take a pic.  I have a 'portfolio' of all of my bags and it's just a way for me to remember and for future 'clients' to check out my work.  I don't think she will mind at all.

Oh, and what a sweet thing for you to go back and tailor-make her bag for her.  What did she think?

I hope you do get a photo so you can share your bag with us!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best things you can give your children are roots and wings..............(?)
three thirty three..............my blog:  http://www.three30three.blogspot.com/
zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007 07:18:18 AM »

I did the same thing for my last swap actually. I took all this time to make the bag, then in my excitement to get it out I taped it up and took it to the post office, on my way home it donned on me I never took pictures!!! dur!!! so I actually called the post office and asked them to set it aside for me (I live in a VERY small town so it wasn't a big deal). You should have seen the look on the mail ladies face when I opened it up right there and took pictures of it then gave it back to her! lol!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Daisygirl

2 kids, 2 cats, 2 birds...why didn't I get 2 men?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007 11:14:59 AM »

I do it all the time.  My friends never seem to mind me dumping it out and taking pics the next time I see them. In fact I think they expect it now. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyDestny
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007 01:15:07 PM »

I've done the same thing. At first I thought you were going to say that you regretted making it for her. I'm glad that's not the case. I had that happen to me! I made a bag for a friend, in fact I even named the style after her. I made it pink and black which is just her style and everyone thought it was adorable. She acted like she liked it but then at the end of the night said, can I make a suggestion. I think you should make this bag with a zipper instead of a magnetic snap for mom's. If I bend over, I feel like everything will fall out!

She has NEVER used it! Sure things fall out if you bend COMPLETELY over but come on, lots of bags are like that. I wish I would have made it for someone who appreciated and used it!! It's thrown in the top of her closet now.

I'm glad your friend likes what you made, and YES definitely get a pic! I don't think it's weird to ask. It's a good way to remember everything you did anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...i finished off the rest of the ice cream so i expect to be having another butt in the morning!!

www.etsy.com/GeneriOnline
http://www.generionline.com
Daisygirl

2 kids, 2 cats, 2 birds...why didn't I get 2 men?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007 06:20:54 AM »

MyDestny, that is just plain mean!!  I'm a mom and I have no trouble keeping stuff in a bag with a snap.  In fact I prefer a snap to a zipper since you need QUICK access sometimes.  I've also NEVER had a complaint about snaps and I've made probably hundreds of diaper bags at this point. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beeclef

The crafter formerly known as Bongirl5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007 07:11:36 AM »

(okay, delayed reply here)

I was just reading your story and just cringing thinking "she wound up not liking it.....somebody else had already bought it for her...etc.."  But breathed a sigh of relief for you when it was just forgotten photos! Whew!  So your friend loved it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wonderfully Awkward - my blog http://www.bclef.com
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007 05:09:45 PM »

she did love it (thank god too lol)  and I guess she has taken photos and sent them to her family she's in the middle of moving right now but has promised she will email me pics she took when they get settled in. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
MyDestny
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007 07:38:30 AM »

Yes, I agree. I thought it was mean and the whole time I kept thinking 'Can't you just say thank you'??

Needless to say, I haven't made anything for her since. I made a tote for my other friend for work and she loves it and carries it all the time. I didn't even put a snap on that one because it's deeper.

Sidenote: that friend in the last couple of years has had several emotional issues surface so I'm not taking anything she says to heart. I haven't sold a ton of bags but they do sell.

Anyway, GothChics I would love to see it when you get pics. It sounds amazing. Lots of detail!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...i finished off the rest of the ice cream so i expect to be having another butt in the morning!!

www.etsy.com/GeneriOnline
http://www.generionline.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Your Hair Into a Center Parting
How to Get Hot Holiday Hair
How to Create the Sleek-Chic Bun
How To Do A Crown Braid
How to Fix Bad Hair Color
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...