A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
765 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i need help with symbol interpretation on a european chart for a flower bolero  (Read 896 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kneat

i like to dance with no pants

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2007 07:12:54 AM »

(image from my photobucket)
original image: http://www.jessica-tromp.nl/beads_kralen/crochet%20haken%2030%20%20(14).JPG

that's a link to the chart ^^

i don't know what the gray circle means. since it's in the middle i'm guessing it's some sort of joined loop?

i figure the red circles are chains and the + are single crochets

i have no idea what the blue stitches are. i've look at symbol charts but i'm still confused. i'm a pretty advanced crocheter but alas, living in the US, i have rarely dealt with charts like this.

i would appreciate any help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bury your head
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007 07:23:35 AM »

I'd love to help you, but I tried the link and it took me to a page about different beads. Could you check it and post again?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
NewLeodensian
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007 07:23:44 AM »

Hi,

I am not sure what the symbols are meant to mean, but here is my interpretation:

yellow + : single crochet
red o : chain
blue half-moon symbol with lines : puff stitch (I think it is with trebles in the puff stitch, they are definitely made so that they are all joined in the top)
grey circle : I think this is the foundation loop, e.g. looped around your fingers with the single crochets made around it so that you can tighten it.  You could probably accomplish a similiar thing with a chained loop.

Hopefully this is helpful or that someone else who definitely knows for sure can help!
Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have a very short wist: http://www.wists.com/NewLeodensian/
stitchFIGHT
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007 07:56:11 AM »

Maybe this link helps, I haven't really looked into it though: http://www.jessica-tromp.nl/knittingpatterns_breipatronen/haaksteken_crochet_stitches_how_to_crochet.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zitrone21

Ooh, I'm so blurry . . .

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007 08:48:24 AM »

Okay, here's what I think the chart works out to in text:

Chain 16.  Join with sl st to form loop.

Ch 5 (counts as first quadruple/double treble  see this link for how to do this stitch  http://www.weirdmirror.org/instruction/trqu.htm).  *Yarn over 3 times and insert hook into next stitch, yarn over and draw loop through stitch.  (Yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice more.  Repeat from * twice  more in same stitch. Yo and draw through all loops on hook.  Bobble/Puff/Popcorn completed.

Ch 4.  Skip next stitch in round one (base chain of 16).  *Yarn over 3 times and insert hook into next stitch, yarn over and draw loop through stitch.  (Yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice more.  Repeat from * three times more in same stitch. Yo and draw through all loops on hook. Second bobble completed.

Repeat the last step 6 more times for a total of 8 petals.  Ch 4 and join to first bobble with slip stitch and finish off.  One flower completed.

I'm not sure how you join them together as you go or what the bit charted between the full and half circles represents.  I've never made anything like this before.  But hopefully this helps. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007 08:55:05 AM by zitrone21 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rina
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007 02:30:04 PM »

Nice job, zitrone21!  I have a few amendments.

I found a very similar pattern diagram with detailed how-to in a Japanese lace crochet book.  The empty circle is actually a very thin, flexible plastic ring.  (That's why the diagram doesn't show a base chain in the middle of the flower.)  You would do 16 sc's around the plastic ring.  If you can't find the rings, you could probably substitute a base chain, 16 is too many but maybe 8-10. 

Ch 5 (counts as first quadruple/double treble  see this link for how to do this stitch  http://www.weirdmirror.org/instruction/trqu.htm).  *Yarn over 3 times and insert hook into next stitch, yarn over and draw loop through stitch.  (Yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice more.  Repeat from * twice  more in same stitch. Yo and draw through all loops on hook.  Bobble/Puff/Popcorn completed.

Ch 4.  Skip next stitch in round one (base chain of 16).  *Yarn over 3 times and insert hook into next stitch, yarn over and draw loop through stitch.  (Yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice more.  Repeat from * three times more in same stitch. Yo and draw through all loops on hook. Second bobble completed.

I agree with zitrone21's interpretation of the rest of the pattern, but here's a different read on the 4-double-treble (dtr) cluster.  Instead of doing it all into one sc, I think it's two partial dtr's in one sc, then two dtr's in the next sc; then draw loop through all 5 loops on hook to close.   

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my yarncraft blog, RedCrochet.wordpres s.com
zitrone21

Ooh, I'm so blurry . . .

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007 04:57:51 PM »

I think you're right, Rina. 

I just ignored the little ring in the center because I had no clue what it was for Smiley  But, yeah, 16 is too many to begin.  You could do 8, join in a loop, then work 16 sc into that loop. 

Then the two half clusters in the two single crochets would eliminate the skipping stitches between the clusters. 

Ta da!  I think we've done it . . .

On a related note--how many craftsters does it take to figure out a pattern diagram?  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kneat

i like to dance with no pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007 07:09:33 AM »

oh my gosh! thank you all for your help! you are amazing!

i think for the plastic ring i will substitute the adjustable ring here
http://www.crochetme.com/Dec_Jan_0405/reads_round.html

i love this technique. i hope it works!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bury your head
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Al Gore Talks About Our Choice
Charles R. Smith Jr. Reveals His Most Noticeable Trait
Anne Canadeo Talks About While My Pretty One Knits
Indigo King Book Trailer
The Secret to Teen Power Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...