A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need help with joining yarns....  (Read 1623 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruwena
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007 03:39:06 PM »

Thats normal.  There is no stitch that will not let that happen.  Just make sure that the place where it happens is the part that will be against the book. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007 03:58:05 PM »

If you ever do a Harry Potter or other striped scarf, you will have two options:

-keep them all on one side so the other side looks good, without the stripes

-or, do a tube scarf with double knitting/in the round etc. so the purl stripes will be on the inside.

For this, an item where the inside will be touching the book, it doesn't matter, but it may help for future projects. This is not your mistake, that's what purls do.

Sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged
casicassie
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007 04:24:57 PM »

Thanks a lot! I think I will just continue with it.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007 06:13:15 PM »

Wait, before you get too far with it, I'm concerned that you've interpreted the pattern incorrectly. The "right side" of stockinette will not EVER have the color mixing bumps on it.

I believe the pattern is telling you to switch to yellow *and knit a row in yellow*, then purl a row after that.

If the picture in the pattern is flat stockinette (all V's) then you have made a mistake and you should start over from the row where you switched color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
silbi

Crafting is a lifelong itch of mine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007 06:59:09 PM »

when you switch to yellow, do not purl.

just follow this rule of thumb for stockinette:

if you see purl bumps, purl.
if you see knit V's, knit.

in your first picture of the stockinette side, u can see that the red are V's. if you knit the yellow, you will get yellow V's.

from what you describe, the instructions are incorrect.

in this picture of my scarf, the outside (like the front of your book cover) are stockinette V's and the inside (the inside of your book cover) are the reverse stockinette purl bumps.

the problem here is not the color change at all. its the instructions that do not make sense if you're aiming for stockinette. whether you change colors or not, the stockinette pattern - k 1 row, p 1 row - does  not change.

hope this helps!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2007 07:01:54 PM by silbi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007 06:59:43 PM »

I'm with Natasha. I think maybe you could be calling one stitch by another's name (calling garter as stockinette), which could be why no one was really sure how to answer you. Maybe this will help, and see if this answers your question....

Example #1:

In this example, on the left is a swatch of stockinette stitch (knit one whole row, purl one whole row), and on the right is a swatch of garter stitch (knit every single row). This example is showing the "right" (the side people will see) side of the work.

Example #2

In this example, stockinette is again on the left and garter on the right. This example is showing the "wrong" (the side people hopefully won't see) side of the work.

You will always get that odd off row on the wrong side where the colors do the wierd stripey thing after you have changed colors. If it helps, you can always stick a safety pin through a couple of the stitches on the wrong side so you'll always know which side is which.

Hopefully this helps a little, good luck and keep trying.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
silbi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007 07:04:34 PM »

Conley,

at first i thought she might be doing garter stitch too but when i saw the instructions and when i saw her pic of the right side: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/ReinasMommy/HarryPotterBookCover006.jpg

i knew its the pattern thats wrong. the pic is blurry but you can see shes got the red v's which you wont get if ur just knitting every row.

plus, look at her yellow section - she has yellow v's too. def not garter stitch.

i have no idea why the pattern has you purl one row and go back to stockinette. if you don't want that color mix, just follow the rule of thumb i posted above. =)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007 01:55:02 PM by silbi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007 07:23:28 PM »

I was aiming to answer her original question:
I started with red, but when I go to join the yellow yarn it looks very strange. Like a line of yellow and red mixed. Then it switches to yellow
And since she said she was still new, I was trying to cover all the general bases. I think it was her second pic that lead me to believe she was doing garter stitch (I didn't see the v's in the first)- I haven't done the pattern she's doing.... why do they have a random purl row in there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
silbi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007 08:12:16 PM »

it would be good if we could see the pattern and the provided image too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiandmoi
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007 08:28:14 PM »

I think there is a turning row missing. I think you work color #1 ending on a purl row, then purl one more row in color #1, then switch to color #2 begining with a purl row, and work color #2 in stockinette.

Edit - I mean to say that the random purl row is actually the turning row.

I did some swatches to show you what I am talking about:

Top as you described it earlier, purl with the new color one row then begin stockinette with the new color.
Bottom as I described above, purl with the old color then begin stockinette with the new color, starting with a purl row.

After turning to make the flap

Showing the turning row
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007 08:56:51 PM by rhiandmoi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Burning Man Sculpture Artist Marco Cochrane
Hong String Project 1
String Tongue I_single Channel Video_performance_2000.Wmv
Hong String Project 2
White Cube_cotton String_350 X 350 X 350(Cm)_2000.Wmv
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...