A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,735
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need help with joining yarns....  (Read 1469 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

casicassie
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007 09:16:00 PM »

Thank you all so much!
I am working the pattern from the book Knitgrrl 2 by Shannon Okey.
My connection is very slow so I doubt if it would let me upload the original pic to  Photobucket to show you all.
It could be that I misread the pattern.

Here is what the pattern says:

Start the front flap:
Cast on 38 stitches with color 2(I had to cast on more due to the dimensions of the book)
Knit 5 rows.
Next row: Switch to stockinette stitch (knit 1 row , purl 1 row). Continue for 2 3/4 inches, ending in a purl row.

Now start the front:
Change to color 1 by joining new ball of yarn.
Purl 1 row. This will help the book cover fold around the edge of the book.
Work in stockinette stitch for 4 inches (or width of the book's front cover). End with a purl row.
Purl 1 more row.

Make the spine:
Work in stockinette stitch for the width of the book's spine  (usually about 1 inch), ending with a purl row.

Start the back cover:
Purl 1 row. This is the start of the back cover.
Work in stockinette stitch for 4 inches (or the width of the book's back cover). End with a purl row.
Purl 1 more row.

Make the back flap:
Work in stockinette stitch for 2 3/4 inches.
Switch back to color 2. Knit 5 rows.
Bind off.

P.S. I decided that I would make him a HP scarf instead. I am using my knifty knitter loom. It's going quite well and I am very happy with the color changes. If I have yarn leftover (and more than likely I will as I hit a sale and bought a huge lot of red and yellow yarn) I will make the book cover.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silbi

Crafting is a lifelong itch of mine

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007 11:07:35 PM »

hmm..looks like you're following the instruction alright. like rhiandmoi was saying, the purl row is like a turning row - it helps the fabric fold around the edge of the book. the turning row is a break in the stockinette..as you can see in rhiandmoi's pictures, there is a line of purl bumps in the middle of the stockinette.

but since you are joining the yellow before the turning row is done, it would still make the color mix. perhaps, since part of the fabric will be on the inside of the book, you won't see the color mix - which may be why you don't see it in the provided picture. thats my guess.

if you dont want the color mix, knit with the yellow yarn after the "Purl 1 row. This will help the book cover fold around the edge of the book." i doubt the change will make much difference.

well good luck on the scarf! it should be an excellent gift! maybe you can post your progress in the harry potter scarf knit along!: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=49479.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
casicassie
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007 05:04:17 AM »

I really do appreciate all of your help and especially the pictures. It really helps a newbie like me to see exactly what I am suppose to be doing.
Once again this board has helped save my project. Thank you!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007 01:00:52 PM »

Basically all you need to do is to end your first colour with a right side row, then switch colours, work a purl wrong side row, a purl right side row and then continue in stocking st. Without working a row before your turning purl row on the right side you get the mixing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adding Luminosity to an Image
How to use Animation Presets in After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 Tutorial - Reconnecting Footage
The Orton Effect in Photoshop
Adding Texture to a Reflection in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...