A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What length circulars do I buy? and a few other circular questions.  (Read 622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

misplacedhippie
« on: March 04, 2007 06:26:41 AM »

Alright So I have the pattern, I picked out the yarn, and am in the boat where I have to purchase needles to start this project.  So yesterday I went to the three chain crafty stores in my area(LYS SUCKS), and If you want circular needles smaller than 7 (I need size 2 and 3) you are SOL.  So I am going to order them of the internet.  So this morning when I woke up way too early and had homework to do, so I decided to order my yarn and needles.  Ok so I dont have the best collection of needles, but there are like 10 different lenghts of size 3 circs.  What Length should I get to best fit?  The directions say that the needle should be able to hold 300 stitches.  I have never had to determine what size to get, usually the pattern says the length. 

ALSO does anyone recomend a brand to, or NOT to, buy?  All my other needles are department store special, I want this project to go smoothly and I like metal needles.  Is the knit picks needle set with detachable cables a good investment?  Are Addi Turbos worth the extra cash?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007 06:53:36 AM »

I have a set of circs (size 2) from Knitpicks.com and a set of cables/needles from their options line (their interchangeable needles) and I ADORE them.  I only have size 8 needles but have two different length cables.  I will fill in the gaps of the needles/cables when a project has a need for it.  I know it's a bit more expensive to do it that way, but I didn't have the $ or need to buy the whole line, which has sizes I probably wont use. 

They are priced nicely, well made and they have extremely fast shipping!  I'm biased though because I've never used Addi Turbos before, but knitpicks are wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
knitnmom
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007 07:49:20 AM »

I've also heard great things about Knitpicks new interchangeable needles. I have quite a collection of Skacel's circs, so I don't "need" a new set just yet. I've got nothing but good things to say about Knitpicks too, very fast and very happy with their service.

If I had to only pick a size or two, for 300 stitches, I'd try a 24" and/or 32", but that's just me.

Good luck!
Tami
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizellis22
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007 07:56:15 AM »

I would go with knitpicks interchangables too...they have a longer screw in part than other sets.  I have the Boye Needlemaster set, which is pretty great overall, but I find that sometimes when knitting, particularly tight stuff like cables or at a tight gauge, the needles start to come unscrewed, leading to a downward spiral of calamity.  And if a needle comes off...ooooh....its a pain.  So I'd go with knitpicks or a brand that "locks" the needle into place.  But I don't think you will regret buying a set. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
2muchstuff2day
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007 08:17:22 AM »

If you need size 2 or 3 you will have to get knitpicks circulars - the interchangeables do not go down that small in needle size.  Do check the millimeter size against the pattern for the #2 and #3 needles as different brands may not use the same sizing scheme. 

I have various sizes of the knitpicks circulars and interchangeables and I really like the pointy-ness of the tips. The metal seems to be good for the way I knit.

As far as the length of cable, it depends on the weight of the yarn if it will be too squashed on a shorter cable.  If knitting flat, a longer cable is fine, but if knitting in the round, a longer cable will be problematic.  I am knitting a sweater out of dk weight yarn and there are close to 170 stitches on the needles now with a 32 inch cable.  I think I need a longer cable as I need 300+ stitches before moving stitches for the arms.  It is a thicker yarn intended for size 6-8 needles.  Although the pattern said 32" cable, I think I would knit more comfortably with a longer cable.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007 08:35:54 AM »

It looks like the Denise interchangeables hasn't fixed their durability problem (multiple craftsters report cables snapping within 6 months).

I like the knitpicks because they're nicely tapered.  Their cables are also very nice & flexible--great for magic loop/2 circs knitting for smaller projects.  Because this method is available, I don't think there's a problem with going longer than needed cables. Smiley

The Skacels seems to me like their points are duller/more rounded.  You can find Skacels for cheaper through www.paradixefibers.net/Addi-Turbo-Knitting-Needles-s/129.htm (shipping's very reasonable).  Haven't done much knitting with my Addis yet.

Haven't heard anything bad about Inox needles yet.  They're cheaper than Skacel. 
(Skacel's are more expensive because they're made in Germany and then imported)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007 11:52:52 AM »

I Love love love love love love love my KnitPicks Options, but as someone said the interchangeables go no smaller than a US4, for 3 and under you have to currently get the KnitPicks Classic circulars. They are so light and pointy, I love them soooooo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
misplacedhippie
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007 04:17:04 PM »

Woo hoo! everyone loves knitpicks needles.... what length though, It needs to be a guage of 24 stitches and 40 rows=4 inches, and of course calls for this very expensive yarn.  I am using a merino wool from knitpicks (either lace weight or fingering weight).  Since it is a shawl, is the guage as important?  I was thinking though the 32" needle will be harder to deal with while the piece is small, but should hold 300 stitches at the end... right?  Is my thinking correct or should I get the 24" length needles and squish?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007 06:09:25 PM »

If its a shawl, you can get the longer length if you want (rather than resort to extreme squishing) because you're knitting flat. The length matters more if you are knitting in the round (even then, to some, this is not an issue uf they use magic loop).
If it were me (and this is personal preference) I'd get the longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Planked Beerlicious Baseball Burgers
Lamb BBQ Part 2
Lamb BBQ Part 1
Honey Lager Legs Recipe
Ham Greens Soup
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...