A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black Dress To Mum's Wedding. An Instant Disown-ment??  (Read 3205 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Muffins_Goes_RAWR
Don't get your bloomers in a bunch.

Glamour is art and I am my own work of art.

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2007 11:07:43 AM »

My mum is getting married on the 12th of may and since i have quite some time left and not much money, I decided I would make my own dress. A good idea since I'm quite good and have experience in making formal dresses. But what I want might send my mum ino cardiac arrest. I've never really been into color so I want to make an all-black dress. What I was thinking was this
But with the red parts being black lace. Would this be to funeral-like for the daughter of the bride??
[/color]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days, that are the most intriguing." - Alexander Wang
rhiandmoi
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007 11:16:56 AM »

Is it going to be an evening formal wedding? If it is then that would be fine I think. If it isn't then I think there might be other problems besides the color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muffins_Goes_RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007 11:22:36 AM »

The Wedding Reception starts at 5 and goes on until midnight. But the ceremony is being held in a catholic church. Being atheist I don't really want to go to the ceremony but it's my mum..... I have to. The front of the dress is shorter than the back and the front part is to be about two inches above my knees and the back will be mid-calf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days, that are the most intriguing." - Alexander Wang
riario
:*

expecting our first!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007 11:24:57 AM »

I would ask your mom how she feels about it. The biggest problem I see is that other guests may think you have some objection to the wedding. My brother is also getting married on May 12th and I'm going to wear steel gray - it might be a better choice for you too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlette13
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007 11:41:02 AM »

maybe make it black lace OVER red fabric, so there are shots of color. i wore a black dress to a january wedding with a bright pink cardigan and patterned nylons - perfectly acceptable by all accounts, although i was worried.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robster
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007 11:43:49 AM »

It depends on your mom's color choices and whether or not the wedding is a black tie/formal affair. If it is, go for it!  If not, the dress would be beautiful and appropiate in a dark brown or grey choice.  Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muffins_Goes_RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007 11:45:39 AM »

Tahnks to everyone for your help! I do think that the black lace over red fabric would be very pretty-ful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L-train
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007 11:45:49 AM »

I was also going to suggest grey as an alternative. Or beige with black lace. That would look nice too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
godels_truth

"Man, You way too happy to sing the Blues."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007 11:49:41 AM »

I love the design, but I would definitely check with your mom. 

Alternatively, if you left the accents some other color besides black, then I see no objections.  How would you feel about a silvery grey instead of black lace? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muffins_Goes_RAWR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007 12:26:53 PM »

Hmmm..... that would actually look really really nice. Silver and beige are the color scheme my mum is having at her wedding so it'll actually work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Wreath Out of Old CDs
How to Make a Temporary Tattoo
How to Make a Princess Costume
How to Make a Spooky Halloween Yard Sign
How to Make a Pilgrim Costume
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...