A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 303,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i dont get it. how do they do it?  (Read 507 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

this is the first day of my life...

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2008 03:06:38 PM »

i've been paying a close attention to expensive brand name clothings lately and i noticed something strange. well not strange but you know what i mean...

i noticed that some of the clothes dont have top stitching even though its double layered. it just looks so professional.
do you get what im saying?. Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
ah i think im confusing myself too.

well if you still dont get it just ask me i guess.
thanx a bunch.

you know you're in love when you can't sleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008 04:37:26 PM »

I'm still not entirely sure what you mean, but maybe you are talking about how linings/facings are attached?  It's kind of like making a pillow -- you sew with the right sides together, then flip it inside out so the raw edges are on the inside, but it gets more complicated when you have sleeves and other details (so you really need to think it through before you sew).  You can get a nice crisp edge by pressing carefully, and sometimes understitching the lining (stitching it down to the seam allowance) helps keep the lining from creeping out.  Topstitching isn't usually structural -- it's usually decorative.

But maybe that's not what you mean?  Maybe you could give a more specific example?

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008 07:55:03 PM »

I think what Kaitlinnegan is describing is called a french seam.  Does it look like the one's at this site?http://sewing.about.com/od/techniques/ss/frenchseam.htm
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008 10:00:47 PM »

Actually, I wasn't talking about a french seam -- just how linings or facings are attached (any kind of seam finish could be used), but perhaps sarinaIStheBOMB was talking about french seams?  Huh Smiley  It's hard to describe these things in text.

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008 05:35:38 AM »

Traditionally, almost nothing would be top-stitched (you only used it to reinforce things that took a lot of wear, like labourers' clothes and some underwear - it got into mainstream clothing from denims!).  Of course, wool, silk, linen and cotton are much better about staying where you press them than modern synthetics and easy-care cottons, which helps, but you can still do it.  The reason it ends up being more expensive it that you have to hand-finish a lot of things like facings, linings and hems - dead easy for a home-seamstress, but a significant extra expense for a sweat-shop owner.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Celeb-Fave Top Before the Celebs
Life Hack: Stain Resistant White Jeans
Dresses That Fit and Flatter Forever
Back by Popular Demand: 24/7 Silk
Hot Style Steals: Chambray Dress & Skirt
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...