A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pinafore dress/top with giant pocket :) Pic obese. (WITH TUTE) (EXTRA PICS)  (Read 10272 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

i_am_alexia
« on: March 01, 2007 08:42:38 PM »

Ok so honestly BEST DRESS EVER.

Or top.

Cos it can be both. That's just how cool it is.

So here's the thing - I hate purple, baby blue and baby pink yet the last four things I've made have been these colours.

But in this case I just couldn't resist. This fabric is so soft, sits so nicely and was soo cheap.

So after lotsa planning, I made this - a cute wee pinafore dress! It has a super big pocket, and some little black buttons. This was my first attempt at buton holes and wow! It's so easy!

"

But I have to wear a top underneath, otherwise it's a bit low cut haha. Imagine it with some cute slouchy boots, stockings and a long sleeve top for winter.

It's a little short, but not TOO short

I had a lot of trouble capturing the true colour, but this one is probably the closest Smiley Plus you get a close up on how cute the pockets are.

BUT WAIT. Theres more! All you have to do is undo the buttons, and cross it over at the back (don't critisise the next pic, we all know how hard it is to take pics of your back) and....

TA DA. It is now a top, that covers your boobies, and looks super cute with some jeans and heels. (I know it looks the same length as it was before but thats my shoddy camera skills, it's considerably shorter - the band that was around my hips before is now around my true waist. The top now finishes around the level of my crotch)

If I get enough requests for a tute, I'll probably make one, so don't be afraid to ask. Just as long as you don't start selling them or anything Smiley

Does anyone have any advice on things to change? My mum (my biggest critic) said the pocket is too slouchy, but I think I like it like that - I reckon itd look boring without the slouchiness. Anyone agree?

thanks for looking guys Smiley

Alexia.

EDIT.

Fooled around with some extra ways of wearing the dress, and after an extrememly busy weekend, I've finally got some time to sit down and show you guys Smiley

First of all... Whilst I was getting changed today, I realised it makes a funky skirt. I took a few of these pics in crappy light, If you REALLY want a better photo of anything (or just a close up or dif view that I haven't shown for the matter) just say so Smiley

And the straps just tie up on the side like so...

AND like I mentioned somewhere in the comments... As a dress (when I wore it out, I wore a black boobtube and leggings under it so It wasnt so revealing haha.

So heres the tute!

Warning = Ive made this tutorial for people who already have a basic understanding of sewing, for example, how to sew two bits of material together. Therefore, so its easier for me to explain I will draw pictures like this

Rather then

Assume I mean sew right side to right side unless I say otherwise

If you get confused, just ask.

Key.

Now cut out these bits.

Remember to add a few extra centimeters for seam allowances  If there are numbers in brackets, it was what my measurements were,before adding seam allowances). Im about a size NZ 10.

Ive put the numbers on a picture of the dress too, so you can see what bit is what.

(photo)

1.Hip/Thigh band
A Measure across the widest part of your thighs from seam to seam. (50cm)
B 16 centimetres

2. Waist/Hip Band
C Measure from lower waist/hips from seam to seam (41cm)
D 10 centimetres

3. Skirt
E   E = C
F - How ever long youd like the skirt (35cm)
G G = A 

4. Pocket (for the pocket, I traced around 3 (the skirt) and then added about 6cm to each side and bottom, to add some slouchiness. I then traced around a large bowl for the pockets and cut them out. Its up to you to decide how big you want the pocket holes etc, so Ill just give my measurements)
H 26cm
I - 15cm
J C + 6cm each side
K F = 6cm to the bottom

5 Boob tray (for lack of a better word)
L L = A
M Ive got pretty big boobs, so what I did was measure from how high I wanted the top to go on my chest, to under my boobs. For me this was 30cm, which I doubled so I could fold it in half before sewing it on, so that it gave the top a nice finish without having to hem it.

6 Straps
N 53cm.
O 9cm

Well start with making the back of the dress. Take one of 1, one of 2, one of 3 and one of 5.

1. First of all, fold 5 in half across the middle. Take the bottom - not the fold, but the two ends- , and sew them to 2.

2. Fold 1 in half, the same as you did for 5, and sew the wider end of 3 to the two edges of 1(not the fold).
Now sew 2 to the narrow end of 3.

But the back aside for now.

Again grab one of 1, one of 2, one of 3 and one of 5 but also get 4

This is very similar to the back..

3. So repeat step 1.

But now we have the pocket to deal with. To make things simpler for myself, I laid the pocket (4) on top of 3, and sewed them together, rather then sewing them together whilst sewing them to other stuff. I dont know how to illustrate this bit, so I hope I can explain in words.

4. Lay 4 on top of 3. Ignore the holes youve cut out, and just make sure the top of the pocket -measurement H- is in the middle of measurement E and sew them together.

But remember how we cut 4 bigger then 3? To get around this, sew the sides up flat on top of each other (because there are the circles cut out, you dont have to do any gathering or anything confusing. Just match up the corner of J and I with the corner of G and F and then match up the other corner as well.

But this is the tricky bit. J and G wont match up, so what I did was put a few pleats in while I was sewing, to get rid of all the extra material.

Hopefully that worked out for you. Alternatively, you can have a non-slouchy pocket, and just cut out 3 and 4 the same size.

Now it gets simple again. Repeat step 2 the only difference this time is that Piece 3 has a pocket attached.

5. Now, lay the back on top of the front, right sides together, and sew up the sides.

You should now have a pinafore dress minus the straps. Try it on. If its a little short( like mine haha) adding a band (the same size as 2) to the top of the dress, and this will add a little length.

6. Now for the straps. Grab one of 6 and fold it in half down the middle. Sew down the long part to make it a tube, and then sew one of the ends shut.

7.Turn it the right way round, and attach the open end of the strap to the back of the dress. Do the same for the other strap. If you dont want to play around with the straps (ie uncross and cross them) ignore the next few steps, and sew the straps to the front of the dress as well.

HOWEVER, If you want to be able to change the length of the dress, make it into a skirt etc, youre gonna have to do the next step.

Which is

Making buttonholes! I thought this was extremely hard, but it really isnt. Hopefully your machine will have a setting for buttonholes. If not, try a different method of closure, such as snaps.

8. Put the button holes in the closed end of the strap and put corresponding buttons on the dress.

And HOPEFULLY, youll have a brand new pinafore/dress/top/skirt.

If any of this tute makes no sense, or you need clearing up, Ive made a mistake, or you have a better idea for something Ive done PLEASE dont hesitate to say.

If the pictures are hard to see tell me as well 

I hope its not too confusing, Ive never made a tute for something so complex.

And if anyone makes one, show me! Please!

Thanks for looking, Alexia.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007 06:41:30 PM by i_am_alexia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zorak: Are you really that stupid?
Brak: I dare you to say that again only this time say Brak I love you.

http://i-am-famous.livejournal.com/ For all my crafty goodness.
danyellex
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007 08:52:22 PM »

oh my goodness, that is SO cute. For real post a tutorial. I want one! You should totally put it on ebay or something. I bet it'd sell real fast
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007 09:15:29 PM »

I really like the dress alot , the pocket is great and the 2 bands really make it fit nive too. I also like the shirts from your other post , they are so cute and the fabric is cool and even cuter now with how you used it .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iron on interfacing

sex is a bad thing because it rumples the clothes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007 09:23:52 PM »

i looove the pockets.

definitely put up a tute, i've been looking for something this cute to make for my cousin. she'd love it so i must know how you constructed it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
munzder
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007 09:30:29 PM »

that is really cute. (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elliebelly123
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007 09:36:54 PM »

This is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman."  Coco Chanel
i_am_alexia
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007 10:05:05 PM »

Hahaha Thanks every one - I'm glad you all like it! I'm wearing it out tonight in the t-shirt setting but as a dress.... hahah not as skanky as you think, I've got some heavy duty tights on, and I've pulled it down a bit Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007 12:13:19 AM »

That totally looks like something I just designed! Great minds think alike, baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
kcfirecracker
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007 12:21:42 AM »

TUTE please.
 I love it. I've got a PIP (pinafore in progress), that I've been sitting on because I could not decide if I wanted it as a top or a dress. Yours looks great as both! Great idea. Also, sure you could sell them somewhere. Just make it in all sizes! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Are you taking orders, or are you taking over?" -The Clash
i_am_alexia
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007 02:44:23 AM »

Thanks everyone Smiley I'll have to buy a new sewing machine but hopefully I'll get it before winter (NZ winter anyway) so I'll def consider selling similar dresses.

And Cheera - I've seen some of your stuff, love it all. I'd like too see what your dress is like!

And for everyone who asked for a tute, I'll try and get one made up this weekend if I'm not too busy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Film?
LIZ PD15: Film Comparisons
Tension on Set!!
Loading the Film - Tutorial Trailer
Pre Production for the Teaser
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...