A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PROM: Themes and Crafty Ideas needed!!!!  (Read 2930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shea_47
« on: March 01, 2007 04:14:20 PM »

Hello craftsters,
My name's Shealyn and I am head of the Graduation Committee at our school for senior prom. As of right now, we are running a wee bit low on funds so I need YOUR help. Background info: Our school colours are black and orange (hallowe'en much?) because we are the Tigers, our prom's being held at a really nice hotel ballroom, really good food, a lotta leeway other than "no confetti, at all!"

Here are some themes we are thinking about:
-An Evening in Paris
-Arabian Nights
-Old Hollywood Glam

UPDATE: The theme has been voted on by our students, and it was decided that "An Evening In Paris" is our theme. Also, we have a DJ that's doing us a nice favour of 5 hours for $200.00...pretty darn sweet. Tickets for food are $40...so that leaves us with a good $1500 for decorations!

It's going to be a very formal affair, as most girls already have their dresses. I need photo backdrop ideas (we can paint it), crafty centerpieces that aren't gonna cost a lot!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007 09:50:02 AM by shea_47 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I have put my heart and soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." -Vincent van Gogh
PepperSprout
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007 06:53:13 PM »

what's your budget?  So much depends on your budget!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a craft blog,too. 
http://briannecrafts.blogspot.com/
randomjunk_queen
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007 07:27:22 PM »

Actually, our coming up formal theme is an evening in Paris. We have a really small budget so we are making a slide-show of famous Paris scenes( Eiffel Tower etc.) and projecting it on the wall. I hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rebmarel
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007 07:36:27 PM »

Centerpieces tend to be expensive and overrated (it's not a wedding... i doubt many high schoolers are going to remember the center pieces years from now). That having been said, here are two ideas.  First, you could have a canned food drive at your school, wrap the donations in basets with cellophane and (of course) orange and black ribbons, and donate them to a local charity.  It's a nice way to give back at the end of the school year, especially on a night like prom when that may not be the first thing on people's minds.  Another idea, if you want something more traditional, could be to make your own flower arangements (or arrangements of anything). Michael's and other craft stores have inexpensive vases (like 2-3 dollars per), interesting shapes in glass.  You could put colored sand or gravel to secure sticks with pennants on them (with your school colors, or coordinated with the theme) or you can stick a few blossoms of flowers (with water) in them... if the vases are short, cut the flowers short, so they are close to the opening, and then fewer flowers look better....

just my two cents... hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm a true new yorker...
DTchick
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007 07:42:26 PM »

My eigth grade formal was Paris nights. They made a 2-D Eiffel Tower out of cardboard. My last homecoming had cheap vases on a few tables with those battery-operated candles in them. I still have the candle I stole.

Somehow I don't think that was helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't cause commotions; I am one.

I didn't recognize you without the handcuffs.
bead~baby~bead
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007 02:23:20 PM »

If you are thinking of Breakfast at Tiffany's or the Eiffel tower here is an idea...

First things first... Do you HAVE to use your school colors? we never did.

Secondly.. as for table accents...
Everyone has those clear glass vases that flowers are sent in.
Collect as many of them as possible... maybe 2 or 3 per table (usually I would go with 3.. they don't have to be the same size. go to google images and find images of Paris that you can print off in black and white...

decoupage them to the outside of the vases, get mirror tiles (you can borrow hese or maybe rent them... (you may ask a rental company to donate them in exchange for an advertisement on the back of a program or something...) and place in the center of the table set the vases around on on the mirror as sizing dictates.

Insert tealights in the vases.. if you do the electric tealights you can add decorative reeds into the vases...

Also for a splash of color you could mix the decoupage medium with a bit of food coloring for a stained effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
asbestos_snowflake
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007 04:24:13 PM »

My school is tigers too, I started buying grad decorations back in October Cheesy
Hollywood Glam is always good because people are willing to get into character. Just use lots of champagne flutes and pearls and gold lame` everywhere! plus you could project old Greta Garbo movies on the wall or something, as a fun distraction. fake paparazzi are always good, too. oooh red carpet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oh baby, Lilly munster ain't got nothing on you.
rikoshay
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007 05:29:31 PM »

A great way to decorate doorways and dance floor ceilings is Christmas lights inside of tulle.  It's all poofy and twinkly and pretty when all of the lights are out.  Plus, when the lights are off, it doesn't matter that the cords are green because all you see is the light shining through the tulle. 

And Paris IS the City of Lights, isn't it?

Are you guys doing Paris or have we all decided that you are?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shea_47
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007 06:24:33 PM »

our graduating class is deciding on march 19th, i have a feeling paris or hollywood will win though. and no, we don't need to use our school colours...thank goodness. hollywood in black and orange wouldn't be good, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I have put my heart and soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." -Vincent van Gogh
rikoshay
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007 06:56:25 PM »

If you go with Hollywood, you should check out a book called "Wonderland" by Michael Bamberger.
http://www.amazon.com/Wonderland-Year-Life-American-School/dp/0802141978/ref=pd_bbs_5/102-7904706-8784163?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173836952&sr=8-5

The kids in the book put on a huge prom extravaganza every year and the author has quite detailed descriptions of the things that they made.

Some of the things that I remember off the top of my head:

Red carpet.
Press line (parents and kids taking pictures)
Paper Mache Oscar statues.
Famous Movie Posters painted by the kids.

You might want to make big friends with two groups of kids: the theater/music kids and the artists.  (Lots of times they overlap!)  You can get some great ideas, some great experience and you give people a chance to contribute to an event that they might not normally participate in.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007 07:00:26 PM by rikoshay » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw an Architectural Detail
How to Draw an Architectural Wall Section
How to Draw an Elevation
How to Draw a Floor Plan
Eric Daman Style Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Marinara Sauce
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...