A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,145
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Dinner Table Theme Help  (Read 1511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Redraven
« on: October 22, 2004 05:56:29 PM »

Every year my mother and I like to do a theme table for Christmas dinner. This year we are stuck. We would like to do this as cheaply as possible but are out of ideas.

What we usually do (and what my mom would like to do again), is set up candles on the buffet. We are definitely using white candles and spruce blue/green coloured candles this year because my mom would like to get rid of them. We usually wind a wired ribbon among these candles. I have two different ribbons that I could use, a sheer ribbon with white snowflakes on it, and a goldy bronze ribbon.

Beyond that we have white table cloths and blue plaid table cloths. Our dishes are white and we have silver plated cutlery.

Center pieces are not realistic because the table ends up filled with food. Tea lights on the table do not work as they tend to heat up the handles of the serving utensils (we accidently discovered that one year).

Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftmommieof2
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004 09:13:11 AM »

I j6us4t ch3eck3ed o6u4t a book from 4th3e library abo6u4t d3ecora4ting for Chris4tmas in 4th3em3es. On3e of 4th3em was a Sandinavian 4th3em3e in which 4th3e c3en4t3er pi3ec3e was wha4t 4th3ey call a garland cak3e (Krans3ekak3e in Scandinavian). An 3ediabl3e c3en4t3er pi3ec3e may b3e a good choic3e for yo6u 4to 6us3e.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krebstar5
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004 10:07:49 AM »

I have a few ideas-

- sprinkle snowflake confetti or fake snow on the table
  - instead of one larger center piece, try placing a few smaller pieces around the table (ie, small gourds, fake fruit, small bunches of holly)

Hope that helps a bit. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a blog-
http://smalerie.com

Rule 1: To do rather than watch.
http://www.journeyofwill.com
amareluna
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004 07:29:54 PM »

I found what craftmommieof2 was talking about and it's so neat!

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/29/Kransekake_or_Ring_Tree_Cake48385.shtml

I think I'm going to make something along the same lines for our table now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beanknotty

Did you bring the chocolate?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004 07:36:21 PM »

I use this at Thanksgiving - BUT it could easily work for Christmas.  I made a table cloth - off white with a fall leaf material trim around the edge.  I put a fabric pen out with each place setting and after everyone is seated I ask them to write something they are thankful for anytime during, or after the meal (some people need time to think....lol) Then they sign it and date the year.  I do this every year and it is a lot of fun looking back on the years prior.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004 09:37:21 AM »

Focus on decorating around the room, instead of on the tabletop.  You could hang some Christmas tree ornaments from the ceiling above the buffet (high enough so the candles won't burn them) and/or above your dining table.  If you have a chandelier, drape evergreen boughs between the arms, or tinsel, or cranberry garlands.  I usually take down the art in the dining room and replace it with wreaths and garlands and other holiday decorations on the walls.  Make napkin rings.  You can do simple ones with ribbon or holiday cookie cutters, or get more elaborate with wire and beads or old jewelry or herbs or whatever.  There are lots of great ideas on www.marthastewart.com and www.hgtv.com.  And you might want to put a colorful runner down the center of your table over the tablecloth -- it'll dress up the table without taking up any room.

You can make bobeches for the candlesticks, which are little collars that fit over the base of the candles -- they to catch wax from candles so it wouldn't drip onto the table or tablecloth.  Here are a bunch of different ones from martha (I've made the evergreen ones and they're really pretty): http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml;jsessionid=0SNBINOPDP3GFWCKUUXCGWWYJKSS0JO0?type=search-cat&id=cat682&displayType=all&rsc=sc31365&site=&searchTerm=bobeche&_requestid=37697

And don't forget the chairs.  You can wire sprigs of holly or other greenery to the backs of the chairs, and tie ribbons to cover the wire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004 10:46:18 AM »

There are some awesome ideas here.  The other thing that i would add, with blue, white & silver a snow flake theme would be awesome.    The dollar stores often carry the lace snowflake ornaments those hangin from the ceiling & chandolier would be very pretty. Maybe add blue & or sliver glitter to some.     A couple of yars for blue & silver snoeflake print ribbon could be quite inexpensive & would make nice napkin rings & wrapps around the bases of candle holders.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Set the Flash Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Exposure Compensation Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to delete Pictures Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Auto Mode Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Aperture Priority Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...