A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bead hole size?  (Read 526 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mllejessy
« on: March 01, 2007 12:59:14 PM »

Unfortunately, my words are too vague for a decent search, so I have to just ask:

When you're buying beads and wire for a project, how do you make sure the wire will fit into the bead holes?  Is there some kind of standard, "use this gauge for seed beads" kind of thing?

I'm ordering supplies for a library program and am wondering what wire and beads I should get.

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007 02:04:09 PM »

invest in a bead reamer, and hole-troubles will be solved Smiley Otherwise, there is normally little to tell you the size of the hole - pearls, as a rule, have tiny holes, but otherwise it varies a lot.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

chica grande mas bonita
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007 07:37:07 AM »

depending on where you are getting your beads--- sometimes with seed beads they tell you the gauge on the package, as they do vary.  If you are getting them from a bead store, grab someone and see if they will open them and test them out for you if they arent marked.   Bead reamers wont work for the most part on seed beads, they will just crack apart. All seed beads are pretty small, so maybe just buy the smallest gauge wire that will perform how you want it to-- and see if that works.  Most people use thread of some kind with seed beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschkitty
Beading & forum addicted!

www.kitschkitty.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007 05:39:04 PM »

Ok. just want to start by saying if you already know this stuff sorry for stating the obvious.  Tongue

Generally with beads, seed beads, pearls and gemstones typically have small holes.

Seed beads are sized from 15 (smallest) to 6 largest (though sometimes you se 5's (which are closer to pony beads)

I have found most seed beads size 11 or bigger will thread on to headpins - (when I have been making earrings etc), which are generally about 20/22 gauge.

Just in case you need it here is a useful wire gauge guide: http://www.wigjig.com/jewelry-tools/WJU/techniques/measures/pg03.htm

and a guide to what gauge to use for different types of projects: http://www.wigjig.com/jewelry-making/pg21.htm

Most beads will have holes big enough for up to about 18 gauge (at least).

Certain types of beads often have larger holes such as Indian beads, wooden beads and many plastic beads.

If you need beads with very large holes (such as for stringing on to leather thong, you need to check carefully. most suppliers note these beads (as being special) as they have larger holes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you love to chat about beading come join us at www.uk-beaders.co.uk/forum.htm
Find hundreds of UK based bead suppliers and more at www.uk-beaders.co.uk

Kitty's Unique Boutique
Custom creations designed to delight   www.kitschkitty.co.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sell Scrapbooks Online
How to Select the Right Album for a Scrapbook
How to Remove Rubber Cement from Scrapbook Photos
How to Insert Refill Scrapbook Pages
How to Cut Scrapbook Photos
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...