A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Am I knitting wrong?  (Read 1838 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007 08:45:07 PM »

Now I am only a beginner, but I am also a beginner that taught myself.  In fact I am a closet knitter.  I have never knit in front of anyone else besides my fiance and my daughter (2 yr. old).  I can assure you that they could not critique me even if I wanted them to.

My point is this, I don't knit or purl like anyone I know.  My work - turns out the same.  Until that teacher can look at your finished work and tell you how you held your yarn/needles are held, she should not tell you it is wrong.  I agree with everyone else, if you can, get a different teacher.  Good luck, and keep on knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007 07:06:18 AM »

I agree - knit whatever way feels comfortable to you, and find a new knitting teacher (or join a knitting group).

I have to agree with everyone else, but I am curious if throwing with you left hand and knitting continental is the same thing?  I am a continental knitter and don't know the language for knitting styles that well.  I use to knit through the back loop instead of the front and never knew any better until I knit with a few people.  I did run into a problem with it though when I would work in the round and then switch to flat knitting.  So I have to be aware of what the project is doing to know which way would be best to knit.  I just wanted to let you know that one thing b/c I spent a while knitting a sweater and where I changed the stitches look so different.  But I think it sounds like you are knitting perfectly!

I'm a continental knitter and to me the term "throwing" implies letting go of your needle to move the yarn and create a stitch and I never let go of my needle, therefore I don't think I "throw".  I also don't feel as though I "pick" my stitches.... but someone watching me knit may see it differently.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007 07:30:31 AM »

I just wanted to add that if a knitting teacher ever had seen my Mom knitting, she would probably have had a fit... she used to keep the left needles between her knees because she couldn't deal with both needles at once. Even with this method, she turned out beautiful sweaters. She was also a leftie.

So... there really is no right or wrong way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007 10:14:03 AM »

There's a whole European tradition of knitting with the inactive needle held under the armpit.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmsmaverick
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007 10:33:24 AM »

i'd say the only knittng that is wrong is the kind that unravels on your body. that might be wrong.

there are no knitting police. my friend tried to do that a little to me when i was first learing to knit, and i was slightly put off by it. she said, basically you aren't really knitting. I remember thinking, "What a snooty hobby!"

what i realized a week or so later is that i wasn't purling. i was only knitting, so i was making garter stitch, that's why she didn't think it was knitting, she didn't know what garter stitch was.

i think you have to knit because you enjoy it, and knit however you enjoy it. now i love to knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andrew Clements Talks About Smart Kids
Tyler Colman Reveals
Cindy Gerard Talks About Risk No Secrets
Meet Dr. Zhi Gang Sha
David Hazony Talks About The Ten Commandments
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...