A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a [sort of] Complicated Vest...help s.v.p!  (Read 868 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ali_oops
« on: February 28, 2007 01:59:23 PM »

Im going to make the vest on the character above..but I havn't made somthing like this before.
Its going to be made of a pleather like material.

for starters Im clueless about the pattern? Im not sure how to make it, should I use a pattern from another vest the try to modify it? or make it from scratch? Normally when i sew I just wing it, but I dout i could do that with this project.

Also the huge belt buckles?
I highly dout Ill find some buckles that huge in a store, so Ill probally have to make them.
Any suggestions on what type of material or how I could make them? or even places to buy huge buckles  Undecided

oh one more thing. Do I need to get a larger/thicker sewing needle for my sewing machine to do pleather?

Im sorry for all the questions , to me this seems complicated and im noob.. so I would be soo thankful for any help at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyno
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007 07:20:06 PM »

cool costume. Smiley it actually looks really simple to make. if you need a starting pattern you could get a pattern for a ski vest (the quilted kind) and modify it to remove the collar and divide the  sections into 3.

You can make a hidden zipper at the side and just have the buckles be decorative, or you can actually make the buckles functional.

as far as where to get the big buckles... I can't think of anything that large. I'd probably just make them out of plastic or wood and paint them.

regarding pleather -- do a forum/google search for "vinyl" and for "pleather"... there different needles and feet used and it'll help you to get the tips first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007 06:07:01 AM »

Salvation army is a pretty good place to find buckles, but you may need to paint them all to match. That looks really cool, good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Ali_oops
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007 01:28:10 PM »

thanks dyno, I was actully wondering about how to get it on..the hidden side zipper is a good idea, i think ill try that.
 & Elphelba, thats a good plan too..but I dont think the salvation army where I live will have 3 belts since its such a small building (small town) but one would be just fine for a reference to make the rest,
but yes, thank you guys for the help so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyno
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007 02:25:40 PM »

hey, I just had a totally random idea... santa costume belts! those things are huge and you could probably find big buckles on them. same with pirate costume belts.  maybe try looking online for costume accessories. you could take the belts apart, use the old fabric for size and cut reference, then paint the buckles if needed.

oh, and I remembered seeing huge 80s belts in cheap teen stores and in Target, you know the retro thing. you might be able to get buckles there.

and as Elphelba said, good stuff at salvation army stores. Smiley

good luck. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ali_oops
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007 06:01:22 PM »

Shocked Shocked GENUIS! (Im pretty sure I spelt that wrong..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ali_oops
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007 12:38:18 PM »

Finally after searching for quite some time (and going to over 20 fabric stores) I found the right coloured material for making the vest!

one step closer

as for the pattern, Im going to try and get some help from one of my mothers friends. Then Ill do a practice vest with cheap material and see if it works out :S

but as for the buckles, at the moment I have 3 buckles that Ive bought but they're quite small. Ill try to post a picture later of the buckles
I was wondering if I should use them or just make up some bigger ones out of wood or somthing.

so maybe in a week or so Ill post some pictures , the practice vest may even be done.

ah Im sorry for writing so much, about nothing. but just an update
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007 08:10:18 AM »

I saw some really big ones in Joann's the other day. I don't remember the cost though, or where you are located, I just thought I'd throw it out there if you're still wanting the larger buckles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Ali_oops
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007 05:08:40 PM »

Hmm, what is Joann's??
I Actully live in Canada, near toronto (ontario)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darkgoddess

Still lurking, but with an account

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007 03:52:40 AM »

Another cosplay? I wonder if there should be a board dedicated for it? ;P

You may need to make your own buckles as something that size would be extremely hard to get. If this may help, I was thinking that the front buckles were faked/non-functional and the thing opens at the front, with the "buckles" hiding whatever button/closure would be used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
MAC Eyeliner Pot Vs. Loreal Lacquer Liner Product Review
Emma Roberts: Goth Meets Innocence for the Elkin LookBook
5 Items You Should Always Carry in Your Makeup Bag
Videofashion News: Peter Som Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
BEAUTY BUZZ: Alexander Wang - NYFW - Spring/Summer 2015
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...