A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a Bag/Belt, I need alot of help!  (Read 706 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ali_oops
« on: February 28, 2007 01:43:41 PM »

Im making a bag from a video game (final fantasy III)
heres a picture
I have a few questions to ask about making it.

1. What material does it look like I should use? I was thinking maybe a pleather? and if I used a pleather like material...would my sewing machine take it (its quite old) or should I do it by hand?

2.about the belt buckel, its supposed to have a cross like image in it..any ideas on how to make it?

as for making the actual bag..Ill wing it, but any suggestions would be nice aswell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brubendall
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007 08:58:16 AM »

I can only answer #1 for you.  Typically, older machines are more heavy duty than the  newer machines (unless you spend close to $1K for a new one) because they're all metal parts.  I would try it with your machine.  Be sure to either use a leather needle, or a size 18 would be sufficient.  Don't try it with anything smaller than an 18 though.

Ii would love to see pics when you're done!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lizabethdesign.etsy.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizabethdesign/

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
Ali_oops
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007 01:16:36 PM »

Thanks for the help, I think ill get the needle this weekend..
& of course Ill show you the pics when im done : P
just a warning..it may turn out very deformed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007 05:04:50 PM »

Why don't you try a mockup of it in a remnant of upholstery fabric or canvas duck, maybe, and when you get it looking like you want it, then make it out of your pleather.... although leather would look really good IMHO. You could thrift a coat or something, probably for cheap. I do trial runs when I'm planning on doing something out of an expensive or hard-to-work-with fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007 04:04:10 AM »

I would likely suggest using a garment weight leather (I can see minute details in the belt portion of the bag that would suggest leather) in a camel color.  Though a Vinyl would work out ok too.  A few tips for working with Vinyl regardless of the machine you're using, You can layer it between tissue when topstitching to help prevent it from sticking to your presser foot or feedplate (Sulky rinseway is fantastic too you can pull most of it off then just rinse the rest away with a little bit of water).  If you notice sticking as you sew You can help feed the fabric through the machine manually by pulling from the back.

Use a ball tip needle for sewing with PVC/pleather.  It will help prevent stitch skips as most of the garment type PVC's & pleathers have a knit type backing.  If you still find difficulty in sewing it they also sell a needle oil which you can use to lubricate your needle and help it glide through the fabrics easier. 

if you do any pieces that you have to turn, (like the belt portion) I find pouring a tablespoon of flour down the opening before I attempt to turn it makes the entire process go so much smoother (it acts as a 'lubricant' that will prevent the PVC/pleather from sticking to itsself) 

As for the buckle I would search Ebay alot of people make custom pieces for cosplay and I know that Final fantasy is a popular one to emulate in cosplay. 

Hope this helps you some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007 06:59:11 PM »

I second the vote for real leather from a thrift store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Rainbow in Tie Dye
How to Tie Dye a Blue Garment
How to Create Tie Dye Effects on Sweatshirts
How to Tie Dye Patterns
How to Dip Dye a Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...