A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,757
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Life for a 70's suitcase! ***Tut Added! 2.28.07***  (Read 5419 times)
Tags for this thread: suitcase , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

batdog20

Find Optimism in the Face of Adversity

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2007 09:58:36 PM »

I found this old make-up case at our local thrift store and knew it was just calling my name. When checking out the guy gave me 50% off...  I left thinking I had scored! Only $5 for my little treasure. It wasnt until I got home and opened the darn thing that I realized why.  It smelled like some lady had kept some creature rotting in there! For 30 years! It was gross! On first impulse I threw it out... but along came garbage day and I figured I could use a good challenge.  After using up the entire supply of Febreze in the state, a box of gas masks, and some TLC here's the result.
Before

After

***Update****
Here's the added tut for anyone who's interested Smiley   This was a suprisingly easy project, especially for someone like myself who has never done anything like this before...
Supplies:  
-one Battered up suitcase/ makeup case
-enough posterboard to trace the old inserts onto
-a razor knife
-spray adhesive
-enough fabric to recover the inside
-masking tape or painters blue tape (optional depending if you have any embelleshments you'd like to keep ie: metal pieces)
-Plastic Spraypaint

Step one:
 Take the inside fabric and cardboard if there is any out.  This can be done with the razor knife, make sure to cut along the edges as this will be used as your template for the new fabric.  Take note of how it comes out, as you will want to put it back together the same way Smiley
Step Two:
Trim everything you don't want painted in the blue tape.
This is what it should look like so far.

Step Three:
Using the spray paint, get all of the outside vinyl, make lots of thin coats instead of one thick one to avoid runs.  

Step Four: While your creation dries trace your fabric and any cardboard cut outs onto cardstock and whichever fabric you chose.

Cut them out and apply spray adhesive to one side of the cardstock, laying the same fabric over it, fold the corners of the fabric around the cardstock and affix with spray adhesive.   Next take off all of the blue tape, being very careful, you may need to run your razor over the edges to prevent peeling.  Once you have all of your peices, put them back together just as you disassembled them.  I would recommend doing one peice at a time in case you need to change any measurements.

Voila! You're done! If anything isnt clear I'm happy to answer any questions Smiley I'd love to see yours if anyone makes one!
Thanks for looking,
Bizzy
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010 07:13:26 AM by pixieval - Reason: revealed images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
southern5footer
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007 10:06:55 PM »

Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caprisun84
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007 06:34:48 PM »

I would love to see a tute! Makeup case recon is something I haven't done yet that I'd love to get into. 

Your case looks really nice!!:) I like your choice of fabric inside. I bought this old hat box type purse from Goodwill last week for $2, and it's probably the sturdiest purse I've had so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batdog20

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007 10:56:05 PM »

CapriSun,
  I'd love to see yours if you get around to making one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caprisun84
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007 09:14:09 AM »

Definitely.  It's my next project; too bad I didn't think of it before winter because that looks like it would make an excellent winter bag.  My mom has this 60's like cosmetic case that maybe she'll let me have:)  Either that or I'll just find one at Goodwill or a garage sale; I'll probably see more of those as its getting warmer here, and I like the thrill of a find...Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrysAM
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007 05:50:05 PM »

What a cool idea.  I really love the fabric you chose, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Odd Dotty
Dollymaker and Crafter Ordinaire

Hi.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007 06:08:10 PM »

That's really cute! I love the fabric you chose too. Just out of curiousity, what are you using it for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batdog20

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007 08:51:28 AM »

Actually its currently being used for my spoiled pooch! We travel a lot and she has more luggage than any dog I know, so we've been carting around her food, bowls, clothing, leads, shoes, etc. in my little creation! Haha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zimfreak
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007 10:01:57 PM »

I'm so excited to do this project!  Thanks for the tute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: none"><tr style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: none"><td colspan="3" style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: no
rivkie100
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007 11:41:58 AM »

Thanks for posting this. It's adorable!

Becky.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Runway Hair Curling Tips
How to Make a Modern French Twist Hairstyle
How to Create a Classic French Twist Hairstyle
How to Create Futuristic Hairstyles
Tips for Beachy Waves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...