A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Now with TUTORIAL my 1920s project image OBESE please take a look :D  (Read 14565 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , tutorial , coat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

averij
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007 04:09:44 AM »

I really like this, it shows that you put a lot of work into it Smiley And I always love colour combinations like this. I'm just learning how to sew, I hope one day I'll become good enough to pull anything off that looks as great as this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MandyLikesPie
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007 05:19:05 AM »

That is stunning!  Shocked I love, love, love the jacket. It looks so authentic to the time, I can tell you put a lot of research into it. Just curious, what kinds of topics did you research that helped contribute to the design? Social issues of the 20s, or rather something design specific? I'm a 20s nut  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007 07:44:09 AM »

That is stunning!  Shocked I love, love, love the jacket. It looks so authentic to the time, I can tell you put a lot of research into it. Just curious, what kinds of topics did you research that helped contribute to the design? Social issues of the 20s, or rather something design specific? I'm a 20s nut  Smiley
I researched as much as I could to do with fashion and lifestyle of the 20s... so flappers of course..! lol, designers such as chanel (LBD) vionnet (late 20s and bias cut) schiapharelli (sp?.. colour etc.. only some 20s..) illustrators, erte and georges lepape, erm, then companies like A.L. Tirocchi (if you've never heard of these sisters, then take a look at this website, it's fab: http://tirocchi.stg.brown.edu/intro.html I also looked into artists and fabric designers.. ie raoul dufy, Bianchini Ferier... then there was the modern day silhouettes, comparing them with 20s clothing... art deco, how jackets were fastened... ie to the side Smiley lol. so so SO much more, but I dont have my book with me... so I can't really have a look!!!

The garments were supposed to be daywear... but I couldnt resist looking into the flapper evening stuff... it's AMAZING! lol so I kind of named my design.. 'exquisite daywear!!' lol.

The coat is like... mink (is that what it's called? stripe fur stuff, lovely lovely mmm I just HAD to buy it Cheesy I'd never made a coat before.. no hoods, no sleeves.. I am proud Cheesy lol.

xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
Underhill940

Gilmore Girls, Coffee, and Crafting..life is good.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007 09:52:06 AM »

wow thats gorgeous! I really must learn how to sew lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Stephanie
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

http://underhill940.blogspot.com/ <-- my crochet blog
www.wists.com/Underhill940 <-- yes I wist my own crafts hehe
MandyLikesPie
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007 01:30:01 PM »

Thanks for the reply, loukr! That's a lot of research--I appreciate that as much as the garment itself. Awesome job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elliebelly123
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007 07:05:19 PM »

That is fabulous!!!! It hangs so beautifully!!!! You did a great job!!! Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman."  Coco Chanel
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007 09:30:46 AM »

thank you all Smiley I will be putting a tute up, it's all written out but it's at college.. so i'll put it up next week Cheesy thanx for your lovely comments Cheesy xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
cupcakesorbet

I like pretty things

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007 12:01:59 PM »

Hey, i like your dress and jacket (especialy the jacket).
I also have done my textles coursework on the 20s. i just finnished it the other day and its... not quite as good as yours. but the only other thing ive made from scratch was just a skirt, so i dont have much experence yet. Im just gonna post the pictures of my dress if you want to have a look!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007 02:33:06 PM »

thanx Cheesy wicked, yea I'll go see it now. I'm going to put a tutorial up soon for these... just as soon as i feel better (just come out of an operation  Cry) I have pics on my phone of the tute so they'll be up hopefully within the next couple of days Cheesy xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007 12:18:56 PM »

FINALLY, I got hold of the tutorial I wrote for my project.. I'm only going to put the tute up for the dress, because the coat one doesn't really make any sense whatsoever... so here you are Cheesy

If anything's unclear or you don't get it then just ask. And please let me see what you make if anyone does make it or use it for something similar, I wouldn't normally ask, but as it was my design and I spent days on end making the pattern and figuring out how it'd work I think it's the least to ask  Grin.

DON'T FORGET TO ADD SEAM ALLOWANCE

TOPBAND:
the top band measured 2inches height, so doubled over 4 inches, and obviously allow seam allowance. Also, note that this is probably the most crucial (sp?! lol) part of the dress, as is holds everything up... if this is too loose my friends, then you will have much humilliation upon wearing it! measure the circumference of your body, right under your arm pits. Minus 1.5 -2.5 inches from this measurement, then half the final number. this will be the width of your 'topband.

BODICE PART:

This part was made from non-stretchy fabric, so this has to be made wide enough to fit over your body. measure around the fullest part of your chest, and add 0.5-1 inch ontop of this. again, half the final measure and this will be the width for the bodice part. for the length, measure from right under the armpit, wo where you want your waistband to start, and minus the 2 inches that will be your topband. Next, decide how much you want it to hang over the waistband. I didn't want it hanging too much, so I added on about 2 or 3 inches. Once you have the dress made up you can move the waistband to whatever height you like, so this length can differ anyway.

WAISTBAND:
The waistband is made out of the stretchy fabric. as with the topband, measure around where you want the waistband (mine was quite low on the hip.. 1920s stylee), and minus that 1.5-2.5 inches. AGAIN... half the measurement you get at the end of this, and this will be the width of your waistband. the height can vary however you like, mine was 3 or 4 inches... don't know the exact measurement..!

*****remember to cut 2 of EVERYTHING (apart from the skirt!!) because the front and back are the same measurements!*****

SKIRT:
The skirt is just a simple circle skirt square thingy... basically, mine measured 1m X 1m, and the circle was my hip measurement, but minus about 2 inches, because half of the skirt will be on the bias, it stretches (think that's right) but well anyway, you need to cut it a bit smaller than your actual measurement.

Now follow the really realy rubbish tutorial, and you should end up with something similar to mine...!

Hope this is useful!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007 12:27:17 PM by loukr » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Balloon Clover Tutorial
How to Arrange a Tulip Bowl Centerpiece
How to Make a Capelet from an Old Sweater
The Basic Supplies to Make a Monster Puppet
How to Add Hair to a Monster Puppet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...