A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Overdye?  (Read 643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: February 27, 2007 12:31:30 PM »

I'm working on a sweater right now that I'm making out of 6 different skeins of yarn that I dyed with Kool Aid. I tried to rotate skeins while I was knitting so there wouldn't be giant blocks of different colors, but now I've got some stripes going on and I'm not so sure I like them. Another fellow Craftster suggested I overdye the finished piece.

This might be a dumb question, but does overdyeing basically just mean adding insane amounts of dye to the yarn? Is there a specific ratio of dye to water that I should be using?

Here's a picture of the sweater in question just so you have an idea (plus my cat's tail):

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007 12:35:16 PM »

Overdye means that you just dye it again over the dye it already has. 

You could overdye it in the same color and maybe it'll end up less stripey, or you can overdye it in a new shade that will mix with this one and you'll get something new (but possibly unexpected.)

I think the stripes look fine, but only you can decide of it bothers you.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007 04:53:27 PM »

It is also possible the stripes will still be there after you "over dye" because there will still be the lighter & darker areas.
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007 04:57:13 PM »

Yep, I think in this case, the overdying would probably just make sure all the yarn had a similar tonal quality, but would still be stripey, at least a little.

I know that a lot of quilters who dye their own fabrics will take pre-printed fabrics of many various shades that maybe wouldnt' ALL go together quite right and overdye them all in one dyebath with a single coordinating color, so that there is a tone that brings all the fabrics together.  That's what I mean with this.  Some of the yarn is significantly lighter than the rest, some is more purple, etc.  Overdying would probably minimize the color differences between the stripes, but it might not be effective in getting rid of the stripes completely.

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007 11:12:14 PM »

If it really bothers you, you could probably eliminate the stripes by dyeing it black. Any other color and the stripes will probably still show through. If you do plan on dyeing it, I really recommend the Jacquard acid dyes. I've tried a lot of other dyes, and none of them compare to these for getting dark colors to turn out dark enough.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007 06:04:10 AM »

Yeah, I figured there would still be some striping. I think maybe I'll just keep it the way it is. But thanks for your responses, I'll use this info for future reference.  Smiley

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Delia Ephron: Your Writing Is Your Fingerprint
Tom Clavin: What Are You Reading?
Shirley Jones: What Are You Reading
Fran Lebowitz: The Importance of Drawing Pilgrims
Anders De La Motte on the Game Trilogy
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...