A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mug Cozy, with tutorial!  (Read 105455 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dani24

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2004 10:17:32 PM »

Last night, while watching TV I decided to make a mug cozy.  While regular beer cozies, and coffee cup cozies are just knitted tubes, this had to be a little special because of the handle on the mug.  I spent only about an hour making this up.  It's fast, fun, and can use up small amounts of scrap yarn!

I used some DK weight scrap yarn I had, and a pair of size 4 needles (what was recommended on the ball).  You can use any yarn you like. 

1. Go into your stash and dig through the avalanche of yarn until you find something that tickles your fancy.  You won't need a lot of yarn.  I had a ball that was hand wound, and was about the size of a tennis ball.  I used maybe half of that. 

2. Pick a pair of needles that seems right for that type of yarn.  You don't want anything too big, because you want the final product to be cushy, not holey and thin.

3. Make a swatch!  I know, normally you skip this, right?  But this time you really should make one.  Nothing huge, and nothing fancy.  And you can cheat, like I usually do, by making a swatch, and either not binding off at all, or not completely binding off (and not breaking the yarn from the ball), so when you're done with your measurements you can rip the yarn out and use it in the pattern.  Your swatch doesn't have to be very big.  Just large enough for you to know how many stitches and rows you get per inch with the particular yarn and size of needles you chose.  Once you've knitted a small swatch, use a ruler (or a knitting gauge checker) to count how many stitches (horizontal) fit within one inch.  Then count how many rows (vertical) fit in one inch.  Write down these numbers.

4. Measure your mug.  Mine was about 10" around.  Most mugs should be about the same size.  But, if you have a particularly small or large mug, swap the 10" for your mug circumfrence.  Also, measure how tall it is, and how long and wide the handle is.  My mug was about 3 1/4 inches tall.  The handle was 2 3/4 inches long, and 1/2 inch wide.

5. Now for a little math.  First, you'll want to figure out how many stitches to cast on.  Take the number of stitches you got to the inch (in my case, I got 6 st/inch) and multiply it by 10" (or whatever the size of your mug is).  This gives you 60 stitches, which is how many you should cast on (if your yarn is like mine).  Then, multiply the number of rows/inch from your swatch by the height of your mug.  In my case I got 9 rows/inch.  So, I multiplied 9 rows x 3.25 inches, which equaled about 29 rows.  You can also just eyeball the height as you go along by measuring your progress up against a mug.

6. Cast on the number of stitches you calculated (i.e. 60 in my case). 

7. K2P2 for about a 1/4 of an inch (in my case, that was about 3 rows).

8. Bind off about 1/2" worth of stitches at the beginning of the next row. (in my case I bound off 4 stitches -- I kept the number a multiple of two, since I was working in a K2P2 rib, so I didn't end up with any single purl or knit rows.) K2P2 until the end of the row, in pattern.

9. K2P2 for about 2 3/4 inches (or until you have a "gap" about the length of the handle)  You should have a piece of fabric a couple of inches long, with a small notch that sticks out at one side, on the bottom.

10. Cast on 4 stitches (or the same number of stitches you binded off earlier).  This is best done at the end of a row.

11. K2P2 for about another 1/4 of an inch, including the bind off row.

12. Bind off in pattern (meaning K2P2).  Be sure not to bind off too tightly, as you need some "stretch" in the final piece to pull it over the mug.

13. You should have a rectangle with two notches sticking out on the top and bottom edge of one side.  Using the yarn tail, stitch the notch to the other end of the rectangle.  Then, using the other tail attached to the other notch, seam that to the other side of the rectangle.

14. Weave in your ends.

You should now have a tube with a rectangle "cut-out," running vertically in one section, big enough to slip the handle of the mug through.

Long directions (I'm a rather verbose person...), but easy and quick pattern to make.  And it's perfect for using up little bits of leftover yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004 10:55:23 PM »

Oh, good lord.. That's great!  Thanks for the tute.  I know some people who would love one of these!

~K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
subloke
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004 11:19:08 AM »

I love this idea!  no more burnt fingers from trying to carry way-too-hot mugs!  yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
dani24

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004 12:52:26 PM »

The only thing I would have changed is the space under the handle.  That's left exposed.  But, I guess you could create a flap that can slip under the handle, and be attached to the other side with snaps, or velcro, or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Treasure Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004 06:19:50 AM »

Awesome idea.  It's so cute!  I think I'm going to have to make some of these as stocking stuffers Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Treasure Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004 12:24:32 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial.  Here's one I made, I just love this yarn.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004 12:54:13 PM »

that would be really cute to add to a mug holiday gift thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004 11:34:35 PM »

i love it...great idea!
by the way, i think it was you who posted the tutorial for the wrap skirt...and i made one last night...it came out great! you are a master!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
evaberry
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004 02:18:13 AM »

The only thing I would have changed is the space under the handle.  That's left exposed.  But, I guess you could create a flap that can slip under the handle, and be attached to the other side with snaps, or velcro, or something.

Hmm... your fingers might not fit through the handle properly if the cozy went through it - some handles are pretty tight as it is (and I have small fingers!).

Fantastic idea! These would make great gifts for co-workers in an office.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dani24

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004 09:24:53 AM »

i love it...great idea!
by the way, i think it was you who posted the tutorial for the wrap skirt...and i made one last night...it came out great! you are a master!

That was me, I'm glad it worked out for you.  You can thank my mom, for teaching me that method years ago. She's the true master!  I owe all my craftiness & DIYness to my mother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Monster
How to Draw a Monkey
How to Draw a Man
How to Draw a Girl
How to Draw a Face Portrait
Latest Blog Articles
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...