A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blocking Acrylic?  (Read 2031 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greenapples

I have a knitting obsessed baby boy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 27, 2007 08:28:59 AM »

Ok, so I just finished knitting my first sweater - Knitty's Daisy Plain version ( http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer03/PATTdaisy.html ). I knit it using Bernat Satin, which is 100% acrylic.

In Daisy's instructions, it says to make sure to block the sweater before seaming. From what I've read previously - I have it in my head that blocking acrylic is pretty much useless? Am I right in thinking this?

Should it really be blocked - or can I leave it as it is?  Undecided

Thanks to anyone who can help me out with this!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like something I've made? I'm always up for personal swaps - just send me a PM!
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007 08:34:06 AM »

you're right, you can't actually block acrylic.

and that sweater is really cute  Smiley I have a nephew or neice to be due in June, I'm on the lookout for cute kid knits  Grin
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007 08:35:58 AM by ZaftigMomma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007 08:41:04 AM »

Ummm....I blocked acrylic and it comes out beautiful.  I wash it gently by hand and squeeze out the water with a towel without wringing. I then lay it flat on a mesh sweater dryer and pin it down with the blocking pins and lay the sweater dryer over the radiator over night or however long it would take.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jodi1978
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007 09:05:37 AM »

just throw them in the washer and dryer, then piece together. With acrylic all you need to do is even out the stitches and that is what washing and drying will do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007 09:14:01 AM »

Ive worked with bernat satin before (several times in fact, its my fave yarn). Blocking does help a bit. The best method I've found is to soak it in water. Don't wring it, just press ir againest the side of the sink/tub to remove exess water. then layer between two towels, making sure it doesn't curl. replace the towels if they are too wet other wise it will take like 3 days to dry lol. leave it between the towels and let it dry. make sure you use a towel on top and bottom. The one on the top hold the piece down and it dried flatter. It won't be perfect but it works better than other methods I've tried.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
detritus
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007 11:23:09 PM »

I think the confusion is that blocking natural fibers evens out the stitches but also fluffs up the yarn and locks in all the kinks and bends of the stitches so you create a cohesive piece of fabric instead of just a bunch of stitches.

When you block acrylic, it will still even out the stitches, but the fiber itself isn't going to change.

As long as it looks okay, I'll usually just wear an acrylic garment straight off the needles and wait till it's dirty to wash it and even the stitches out more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dmoney79
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007 03:14:39 PM »

i didn't want to start a new thread for this, since i would have used the same title....

i'm making this rutgers afghan

and at one point i dropped a stitch, and it went down too far for me to rip back (the middle of the r), and its all in garter stitch, and i had no idea how to fix it, so my mom fixed it for me, and finished off that row....
now, i never realized how differently we knit....i know i knit tight, but, i didn't realize just how tight....the row she finished is glaringly obvious, along with the fact i had picked up a stitch somewhere and you can totally see where i fixed that (altho, i can't tell where i picked it up...)
anywho, if i tried to block this, would it somehow fix that one row?
it looks ok where the dropped stitch was (off to the right of the picture) and i don't think any non-knitter would notice that, but i think they'd notice that one row...
if blocking wouldn't work, is there anything else? i noticed it too late, and i wasn't about to rip back to redo that row...(the 'r' was kinda annoying to do....)- oh, its read heart super saver....
any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated...
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-=danielle=-

~one day i stopped wanting anything at all, the heavens opened up like a waterfall~ *glen phillips*

~ahh music, a magic beyond all we do here~ *albus dumbledore*

http://www.myspace.com/onelitlgrl
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/knittingchick
http://deedlesneedles.blogspot.com
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007 03:40:43 PM »

It's acrylic, which means it's washable and dryable.

Running it through a light cycle in the washer, and the dryer, it'll all ease up and won't be noticeable.

I always do that with acrylic blankets, it evens everything out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007 05:03:45 PM »

animal fibers have barbs that sort of catch on each other, kind of like velcro. thats why blocking is so effective (and why felting occurs).  Think of blocking as a very very very mild form of felting.  acrylic won't block in the traditional sense because it doesn't have barbs that catch on each other.  i'm sure you can straighten it out a bit while its wet, like the others said, which is very much like blocking.  but by definition, its not blocking. just an fyi!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fiber_freak

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007 09:03:08 PM »

This might be taboo for some knitters but I have done it before.  I iron the pieces with a very moderate heat.  This sets (and sometimes softens) the drape of a garment.

If you are unsure about doing this, make a swatch and iron it and see if you like how the yarn reacts. 

While you can't really block acrylic, you can work toward getting more flat edges to seam more easily. 

Of course, just my two cents.  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mac and Cheese with Peas and Bacon Recipe
Chili Dogs with Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
Burger Bar Tips and Quick Recipes
Don’t Tell Mama: Cornbread Dressing Recipe
Family BBQ Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...