A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: monk's travel satchel  (Read 10010 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2005 07:04:49 PM »

r0xy, yours looks great!  that inside pocket looks tiny! I was planning to just make fabric inside pockets on my lining so I was ignoring that part...
I finished the front and will start on the back soon, glad to say that the break from seed stitch went really fast so i'm pretty excited about finishing this. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
EowynUlysses
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2005 08:08:39 PM »

mikan: You mentioned crocheting this project. Do you have a crochet pattern for it or are you free-handing it based on the demensions of the finished bag?
I really like the look of this bag, but do not knit. Any tips you could give me on crocheting this project (or converting patterns in general) would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps are fun!

Fun websites to give for free: thehungersite.com, freerice.com, care2.com

Wanted: Sock yarn scraps for a shawl.
mikan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2005 08:27:40 PM »

i haven't started crocheting yet as i'm trying to keep motivation up to finish the knitted version!  but i was planning to substitute granite stitch for the moss stitch and yeah, just go by the measurements.  i could still do the knitted garter stitch trims on the crochet version, but haven't decided yet.  do you want an all crochet one or is a little knitting ok?
my yarn is a little thin compared to the pattern one so i will use a smaller hook, but i think the size isn't so much of an issue...
here's what i planned to do:  just do a swatch of granite stitch (ch and odd number, ch 2 turn.  sc in 2nd chain from hook, ch1, skip 1 chain, sc 1 in next chain.  continue accross in a sc1, ch 1 pattern, ch 2 to turn)   then use that piece to find my gauge and make the bag pieces to measurements given in the knitted version.  I would still line it even though the crochet is a little more solid than the knit.  for the trims you could just do single crochet or pick up and knit stitches around your crochet pieces with a similar sized set of dpns or circs.
does that make sense?
you can see here for some more info on that granite stitch if you need it
http://www.crochetme.com/Feb_Mar_2005/patt_vice_versa.html

i'll probably start crocheting in the next couple of weeks if you want to work together...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
EowynUlysses
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2005 11:15:51 PM »

That makes sense. I don't know any knit stitches or anything, so I'd trim it in single crochet
Now I get to pick out yarn and liner. Huzzah!
Thanks for your help and it would be fun to do a crochet-a-long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps are fun!

Fun websites to give for free: thehungersite.com, freerice.com, care2.com

Wanted: Sock yarn scraps for a shawl.
r0xy
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2005 09:06:10 AM »

Thanks Mikan..
The inside pocket is kinda small. I haven't decided whether to line the bag or not - and if I do I'll also make a pocket out of material and likely make it a little bigger. The one i knitted is 4.5 x 8 inches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zoe84
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2005 02:33:29 PM »

Hey all.  I want to start this bag sometime soon.  Usually, when the yarn specified in a pattern is upwards of $5 a skein, I substitute something cheaper.  For this pattern, though, I figured I would go ahead and treat myself b/c bopeepswoolshop.com is having a 35% off sale till Monday.  But as I was reading this thread, I noticed there was some concern about the stretchiness and durability of the cotton fleece.  Could anyone who is using the cotton fleece speculate on how durable it might be?  If it's not sturdy enough to pack around several books/knitting projects, I might buy some wool and felt it, as I saw another poster upthread had done.
Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
r0xy
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2005 10:44:21 PM »

I only have the seaming left to do on my satchel. I have no idea how to crochet and I'm pretty bad at seaming so finishing this is going to be a learning process. For a first big project, I think the satchel was a good choice and I'm really pleased with the pinned together version Smiley -pictures to come-

Does anyone have any pictures of their completed satchel yet? I'd really like to see some variations in case I want to make this again some day
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2005 02:51:26 AM »

oh my, you're finished Shocked  i'm still going along pretty slowly (too many other things)  can't wait to see a picture!  i don't think i'll be done until the end of the month at the soonest...  sad
i'll be lining mine so i'll have that variation to show you someday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

r0xy
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2005 09:23:14 AM »

here it is:

I've been working crazy hours lately and last night around 2 a.m. I took a pic.  The 2nd one is really shakey but you can see what happens to an unlined bag when you add a wallet, cell phone, and ipod. If I throw my lunch in, it hangs down past my knees... so it needs lined. This project is totally labour intense, especially since I don't have a sewing machine. groan. Another 2 weeks of satchel construction.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 04:10:40 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juliana
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2005 11:55:57 AM »

Very, very nice work!  It's great to see one made with funky yarns.

I don't knit (at least my attempts thus far have been feeble at best), but I'm sort of improvising a crochet version out of two shades of green.  Someone suggested using #10 crochet floss with my yarn to minimize the elasticity and so far it seems to working pretty well.  I've only completed about 18" of the strap/gusset, but it's working up pretty quickly, and  I hope to have it finished within the month (presently, I have some other projects on the go).  I'll post pics on this thread and the crochet thread when it is complete.

Again, great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Vampire Eyes With Makeup
Vampire Makeup Contouring
Vampire Makeup Foundation
How to Make a Personalized Christmas Stocking
How to Make a Milk Carton Bird Feeder
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...