A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: monk's travel satchel  (Read 10007 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JoHunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004 11:50:57 PM »

Ne, what sort of stitch did you do for your swatch?  if it's stocking stitch and it's as sturdy as you say maybe you won't need to experience the horrors of 76 inches of moss stitch.  Even making it smaller I'm having to do at least 60 inches. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004 11:15:16 AM »

i used stst for my swatch and it was nice and sturdy.  I don't really mind moss, but I do usually switch to feeding with my left hand instead of throwing with my right for it.  It tends to be a touch faster to flick the yarn that way.

I probably won't do moss just because I tend to think it looks a bit crafty, but I was thinking I'd jazz it up in some way.  Haven't figured out how yet, but miles of stst(yawn) is a gaurantee that I won't finish what I start so I have to do something. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoHunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004 11:45:54 AM »

I'm thinking of maybe doing a simple cable for the strap (the actual strap part not the sides or bottom) which would hopefully make it sturdier as well.  Do you have any pictures of your felted swatch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004 01:37:04 PM »

This is the felted swatch for the bag.  IT has a nice nubby texture even though it's St st.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoHunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004 12:34:22 AM »

Ooo, I love that colour Ne, on my monitor it looks light-pinkish or salmony.  I read on your blog you'll match it up with brown and lime green, sounds like it'll be gorgeous kind of feminine too.  The ones I've seen are a bit nuetral or masculine, makes me want to get some lovely purply or pink colours for my B colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004 04:00:30 AM »

it's kind of an orange with a slant towards the pinky side.  Very tiger lily in color.   Pretty much anything I do is going to get a shot of orange.   Cheesy

I can't wait to see more photos from everyone else!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linsky
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004 10:30:23 PM »

Although I've got a HUGE list of things to knit over the holidays, I think I'm going to have to make one of these bags too.

I'm a little concerned about the durability of making it out of wool, or even a cotton wool blend.  Do you think using 8ply craft cotton, dyed to the colours that I want, would be more durable?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2004 07:49:50 AM »

well, it'll be heavier.  It will hold up well, but it's still going to not hold it's shape and small things will fall through unless you line it.  And if you are lining it anyway, your outside material doesn't matter much so it's all personal opinion at that point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2004 05:18:03 PM »

well, how's the knitting/swatching/felting going everyone?  I'm about 30in into the strap but certainly wish I was further!  I'm daydreaming of some embelishment ideas- maybe running stitch added along the seams or something simple but a little more than what the pattern has.  I might change the closure design some too, but we'll see...
Try as I may, my edges are somewhat inconsistant still, do you think that will be lessened once I block my pieces?  since I'll be lining it I'm considering folding one stich under on the exposed part of the strap, sewing the lining on with little stiches and then doing a decorative running or backstitch through the fabric and knitting along both edges.  any ideas on that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
minanina
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004 02:20:04 AM »

I've almost finished the front, it's going to be a little bit smaller then it should have been, but still big enough. And since I get bored knitting the same thing over and over again I've knitted the strap. It's about 120 cm long. I'll post pictures later, the colors turned out to be really great.
Mikan, I'll change the closure design, too, but I have no idea into what. Maybe I'll add a zipper as closing or two snappers. I'm not sure. Luckily I do not have to decide it right now, it's going to take me some more time untill I'm finished with knitting.  Smiley
And I'm going to line it with some nice fabric, seewing the fabric on the bottom side of the strap making it stronger and not so stretchy, so it can carry more weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Terra McVoy: What Are You Reading?
Mary Louise Kelly: What Are You Reading?
California Sensibility: What Is California Literature?
Writer Alex Witchel On Loss In "All Gone"
Bangalore Literature Festival 2013 - Words from the Founders
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...