A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,703
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: monk's travel satchel  (Read 10325 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2004 08:43:54 PM »

so i'm working on the monk bag free pattern from the upcoming (or maybe out now) "folk bags" book.  here's the link:
http://www.interweave.com/knit/books/files/FolkBagsExcerpt.pdf
it's actually pretty easy but uses small needles and yarn and it's a big bag so I think it will take a few months!  I'm about 20 inches into the handle/gussets piece so I've really just started.  Anyone want to make it too?  Mine is grey and green with orange trim, but I'm optomistic and also bought yarn to make a purple, green, and orange one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
JoHunter
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004 12:03:39 AM »

I'm all over this, yesterday i went out and bought some Rowan wool cotton for it.  My plans are to make it a big smaller, probably 8inches by 10 inches, and to maybe make a cable along the  strap so that I don't go mad with the moss stitch.  I haven't started it yet, but  even making it smaller I'll probably be going at it for a couple of months too.  I'm making mine brown with purple trim.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
minanina
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004 06:48:53 AM »

I think i'm going to join too. I bought some nice wool a few days ago , it was on sale, so i took a few pieces, not quite sure what to make out of it. And this bag it's going to be  Wink

This is the wool:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoHunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004 08:46:02 AM »

Just a note to those doing this project, http://sweaterproject.org/archives/cat_monks_travel_satchel.html he says that it's rather stretchy and not suitable for holding heavy books or loads, and suggests either felting or doing a single crochet around the gusset.  I might take his advice about the gusset, or maybe line it if i can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004 10:34:53 PM »

i've been thinking about doing this bag ever since I first picked up Folk Bags at the book store when it came out last winter (or maybe early spring).  This may be just the motivation I need to pull out my copy and pick up some yarn!

I think I'll probably lightly felt as well as line it though.  I am a pack rat and need to be able to pack my junk in there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004 05:49:07 PM »

I'm planning to line it (including the strap) with some sturdy handwoven fabric so that the weight will rest on the fabric rather than the knitting... this will also mean that I won't knit the inside pocket, but will make a fabric one instead. I was hoping this could be a present for christmas time, but I don't think I can finish it in time to send it off too... oh well. knitting on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
mikan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004 06:47:56 PM »

pictures of yarn and seed stitch...
I'm usuing a bit smaller needles, but my gauge is actually a tiny bit bigger so I might have to adjust a little for the front and back.  Blackcat- we may have the same yarn! mine is half merino and was on sale too, but in japan... I had to buy full bags so I'll probably be making some orange hats later on!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004 09:31:52 AM »

So yesterday I went to the fave yarn shop and some brown sheep lamb's pride worsted in tiger lily wouldn't quit talking to me so I brought it home.  I swatched it up and felted it down to get my shrink percentage figures and recalculated the pattern so that it will felt down the the approximate measurements of the original pattern.

I have gone ahead and started doing the front of the bag, as I'll be using the tiger lily as color b.  Later I'm going to pick up the other colors once I decide what I want to use.

I'll add pictures soon hopefully to show off the swatch.   This will be a nice semi-quick project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoHunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004 12:01:26 PM »

Hi Ne  Smiley, it'll be interesting to see a felted version of the bag, hopefully you'll be able to report the sturdiness of the bag post-felting.  I'm finding the moss stitch for the gusset on small needles a bit of a task  but  I'm finally getting into a rhythm with it and have done a couple of inches.  Can't wait to get to colour B  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004 04:53:12 PM »

based upon my swatch, the felted version should be incredibly sturdy.  I can't wait until I've done enough of my color b to determine how much of color a and c I should purchase.

THis is going to be a fun KAL.  Who doesn't need another bag?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoHunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004 11:50:57 PM »

Ne, what sort of stitch did you do for your swatch?  if it's stocking stitch and it's as sturdy as you say maybe you won't need to experience the horrors of 76 inches of moss stitch.  Even making it smaller I'm having to do at least 60 inches. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004 11:15:16 AM »

i used stst for my swatch and it was nice and sturdy.  I don't really mind moss, but I do usually switch to feeding with my left hand instead of throwing with my right for it.  It tends to be a touch faster to flick the yarn that way.

I probably won't do moss just because I tend to think it looks a bit crafty, but I was thinking I'd jazz it up in some way.  Haven't figured out how yet, but miles of stst(yawn) is a gaurantee that I won't finish what I start so I have to do something. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoHunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004 11:45:54 AM »

I'm thinking of maybe doing a simple cable for the strap (the actual strap part not the sides or bottom) which would hopefully make it sturdier as well.  Do you have any pictures of your felted swatch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004 01:37:04 PM »

This is the felted swatch for the bag.  IT has a nice nubby texture even though it's St st.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoHunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004 12:34:22 AM »

Ooo, I love that colour Ne, on my monitor it looks light-pinkish or salmony.  I read on your blog you'll match it up with brown and lime green, sounds like it'll be gorgeous kind of feminine too.  The ones I've seen are a bit nuetral or masculine, makes me want to get some lovely purply or pink colours for my B colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004 04:00:30 AM »

it's kind of an orange with a slant towards the pinky side.  Very tiger lily in color.   Pretty much anything I do is going to get a shot of orange.   Cheesy

I can't wait to see more photos from everyone else!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
linsky
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004 10:30:23 PM »

Although I've got a HUGE list of things to knit over the holidays, I think I'm going to have to make one of these bags too.

I'm a little concerned about the durability of making it out of wool, or even a cotton wool blend.  Do you think using 8ply craft cotton, dyed to the colours that I want, would be more durable?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2004 07:49:50 AM »

well, it'll be heavier.  It will hold up well, but it's still going to not hold it's shape and small things will fall through unless you line it.  And if you are lining it anyway, your outside material doesn't matter much so it's all personal opinion at that point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2004 05:18:03 PM »

well, how's the knitting/swatching/felting going everyone?  I'm about 30in into the strap but certainly wish I was further!  I'm daydreaming of some embelishment ideas- maybe running stitch added along the seams or something simple but a little more than what the pattern has.  I might change the closure design some too, but we'll see...
Try as I may, my edges are somewhat inconsistant still, do you think that will be lessened once I block my pieces?  since I'll be lining it I'm considering folding one stich under on the exposed part of the strap, sewing the lining on with little stiches and then doing a decorative running or backstitch through the fabric and knitting along both edges.  any ideas on that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

minanina
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004 02:20:04 AM »

I've almost finished the front, it's going to be a little bit smaller then it should have been, but still big enough. And since I get bored knitting the same thing over and over again I've knitted the strap. It's about 120 cm long. I'll post pictures later, the colors turned out to be really great.
Mikan, I'll change the closure design, too, but I have no idea into what. Maybe I'll add a zipper as closing or two snappers. I'm not sure. Luckily I do not have to decide it right now, it's going to take me some more time untill I'm finished with knitting.  Smiley
And I'm going to line it with some nice fabric, seewing the fabric on the bottom side of the strap making it stronger and not so stretchy, so it can carry more weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
minanina
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2004 11:52:24 AM »

Here're the pictures, i finished the front yesterday and i'm pretty proud... This is going to be a bigger knitting project that i might actually finish  Grin

front and front detail

strap detail and the hole mess  Cheesy

how far along are you, guys?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 04:07:31 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004 02:51:16 AM »

well, i'm a moron and just discovered my gauge is smaller than the suggested; that's why my measurements weren't working!  The good news is my strap only has to be 63" long now. I've been distracted by some gift projects and fundraising for a volunteer trip, but slowly making progress.  I decided this will be a gift for my boyfriend.  I bought yarn for a second one for me with the same accent colors (green and orange) but the main color will be a dark purple.  I think I'll crochet it though because I'm faster at that!  I think it will be neat to compare the two. I already have a favorite crochet stitch which I think will be a good substitute for the texture of moss stitch...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoHunter
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004 03:36:47 AM »

Black Cat your bag is looking awesome, my own has been put on hold for holiday knitting.  Also I seem to have to be in a certain meditative mood to do it, something I'm sure monks would be familiar with.  It's exciting to see the front and other pieces coming out though, this is probably a more massive project than your average sweater considering the miles of moss stitch.  Keep it up Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofucheesecake
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2004 04:02:41 PM »

For those who are felting, do you think you could come up with revised directions that take into account the larger pre-felting size?  I've never felted before, and suck at reading patterns, so any help would be appreciated.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

box of purls
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2004 08:47:40 AM »

Hi, I am working on this bag on and off right now.  I have finished the gusset/strap and the two pockets that will go on the outside, and I am now working on the front flap.  I'm using Brown Sheep cotton fleece in Putty, Teddy Bear and Tea Rose.  I really like this yarn.  I have no digital camera so I'll have to wait take a picture and scan it in, and I plan on doing this to show progress and such. 
Amanda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2004 08:11:21 AM »

that is a great bag.  definitely going into my hugantic pile of things that i'd like to make someday if i ever finish my other ninety wips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2005 09:29:16 PM »

well, finally finished that stinky strap!  I started the front because I was eager for a new color and stitch for a while and I'm about half-way up.  pretty much looks just like Blackcat's right now!  I like the little garterstitch ridge for trim...  How's everyone else doing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

box of purls
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005 03:54:31 PM »

I have finished the knitting and most of the assembly. I have to get thread to match the lining I chose (I thought I had some that matched at home).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
upperclasstwit42
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2005 04:29:20 PM »

I'm going to give some unsolicited advice...
i would say definatly make the gusset/strap shorter.  i'm 5'10" and when i finished the bag and put stuff in, it hung to my knees, which  wasnot quite the look i was going for.  i'd also say that it really needs to be lined to keep it sturdy.  the strap only streches a little bit, but over the  length, it is really noticable.  i ended up folding a good foot or 18" up to make it decent. 
ended up lining with canvas and then fabric over top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
r0xy
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2005 02:06:18 PM »

oooh, my first crafster post! and my first big project!
I've been working on this bag since I got the yarn for it Christmas day. Off and on, because I can't handle THAT much seed stitch.
I didn't pick out my yarn colours, and apparently, because a cotton/wool blend wasn't available when my mom went yarn shopping, I'm making mine in Bernat Denim - a brown, green, red color combination like the pattern called for. So not what I would have chosen, but it is starting to grow on me.
I have finished the strap, the inside pocket, and the back and flap - something of every color - behold:

i always save weaving the ends in until the last minute... and yes, the date on my camera is wrong
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 04:10:47 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2005 07:04:49 PM »

r0xy, yours looks great!  that inside pocket looks tiny! I was planning to just make fabric inside pockets on my lining so I was ignoring that part...
I finished the front and will start on the back soon, glad to say that the break from seed stitch went really fast so i'm pretty excited about finishing this. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

EowynUlysses
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2005 08:08:39 PM »

mikan: You mentioned crocheting this project. Do you have a crochet pattern for it or are you free-handing it based on the demensions of the finished bag?
I really like the look of this bag, but do not knit. Any tips you could give me on crocheting this project (or converting patterns in general) would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps are fun!

Fun websites to give for free: thehungersite.com, freerice.com, care2.com

Wanted: Sock yarn scraps for a shawl.
mikan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2005 08:27:40 PM »

i haven't started crocheting yet as i'm trying to keep motivation up to finish the knitted version!  but i was planning to substitute granite stitch for the moss stitch and yeah, just go by the measurements.  i could still do the knitted garter stitch trims on the crochet version, but haven't decided yet.  do you want an all crochet one or is a little knitting ok?
my yarn is a little thin compared to the pattern one so i will use a smaller hook, but i think the size isn't so much of an issue...
here's what i planned to do:  just do a swatch of granite stitch (ch and odd number, ch 2 turn.  sc in 2nd chain from hook, ch1, skip 1 chain, sc 1 in next chain.  continue accross in a sc1, ch 1 pattern, ch 2 to turn)   then use that piece to find my gauge and make the bag pieces to measurements given in the knitted version.  I would still line it even though the crochet is a little more solid than the knit.  for the trims you could just do single crochet or pick up and knit stitches around your crochet pieces with a similar sized set of dpns or circs.
does that make sense?
you can see here for some more info on that granite stitch if you need it
http://www.crochetme.com/Feb_Mar_2005/patt_vice_versa.html

i'll probably start crocheting in the next couple of weeks if you want to work together...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EowynUlysses
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2005 11:15:51 PM »

That makes sense. I don't know any knit stitches or anything, so I'd trim it in single crochet
Now I get to pick out yarn and liner. Huzzah!
Thanks for your help and it would be fun to do a crochet-a-long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps are fun!

Fun websites to give for free: thehungersite.com, freerice.com, care2.com

Wanted: Sock yarn scraps for a shawl.
r0xy
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2005 09:06:10 AM »

Thanks Mikan..
The inside pocket is kinda small. I haven't decided whether to line the bag or not - and if I do I'll also make a pocket out of material and likely make it a little bigger. The one i knitted is 4.5 x 8 inches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zoe84
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2005 02:33:29 PM »

Hey all.  I want to start this bag sometime soon.  Usually, when the yarn specified in a pattern is upwards of $5 a skein, I substitute something cheaper.  For this pattern, though, I figured I would go ahead and treat myself b/c bopeepswoolshop.com is having a 35% off sale till Monday.  But as I was reading this thread, I noticed there was some concern about the stretchiness and durability of the cotton fleece.  Could anyone who is using the cotton fleece speculate on how durable it might be?  If it's not sturdy enough to pack around several books/knitting projects, I might buy some wool and felt it, as I saw another poster upthread had done.
Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
r0xy
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2005 10:44:21 PM »

I only have the seaming left to do on my satchel. I have no idea how to crochet and I'm pretty bad at seaming so finishing this is going to be a learning process. For a first big project, I think the satchel was a good choice and I'm really pleased with the pinned together version Smiley -pictures to come-

Does anyone have any pictures of their completed satchel yet? I'd really like to see some variations in case I want to make this again some day
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2005 02:51:26 AM »

oh my, you're finished Shocked  i'm still going along pretty slowly (too many other things)  can't wait to see a picture!  i don't think i'll be done until the end of the month at the soonest...  sad
i'll be lining mine so i'll have that variation to show you someday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

r0xy
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2005 09:23:14 AM »

here it is:

I've been working crazy hours lately and last night around 2 a.m. I took a pic.  The 2nd one is really shakey but you can see what happens to an unlined bag when you add a wallet, cell phone, and ipod. If I throw my lunch in, it hangs down past my knees... so it needs lined. This project is totally labour intense, especially since I don't have a sewing machine. groan. Another 2 weeks of satchel construction.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 04:10:40 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juliana
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2005 11:55:57 AM »

Very, very nice work!  It's great to see one made with funky yarns.

I don't knit (at least my attempts thus far have been feeble at best), but I'm sort of improvising a crochet version out of two shades of green.  Someone suggested using #10 crochet floss with my yarn to minimize the elasticity and so far it seems to working pretty well.  I've only completed about 18" of the strap/gusset, but it's working up pretty quickly, and  I hope to have it finished within the month (presently, I have some other projects on the go).  I'll post pics on this thread and the crochet thread when it is complete.

Again, great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienna
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2007 08:05:34 PM »

Is anyone still working on this? I started mine ages ago and I just picked it back up (I'm trying to finish projects that I've already started). I've got the gusset, two side pockets and front done, I cast on for the back/flap tonight. I'll try to get some in progress pictures tomorrow. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienna
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2007 07:04:37 PM »

Here's an in-progress picture. Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jjenjen
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009 03:03:29 PM »

Hi , I am just about to start this bag I think , lol , would be great for all the men in the family for next christmas/yule I think . What is the stretch factor like? Has anyone had to line the bag yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009 03:49:58 PM »

I still haven't finished it! But it does have some stretch. I used a needle that's two sizes smaller, I think. I'm going to line it, I carry a lot of pens and what not and I don't want my stuff falling through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jjenjen
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009 04:20:53 PM »

Thanks Mienna , I was hoping I could find a crocheted version of it but so far no luck . So it looks like I will be knitting it . I was also hoping to use up stash , but non stretch yarn is dwindling fast and I fear there is not enough for the whole bag . Maybe I will have to shortne the straps or something . Fanx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Brown Cow Ice Cream Floats with Abigail Breslin
How to Make a No-Bake Oreo Dirt Cake
How to Make Macaroons
How to Make the Topping for Man Catcher Brownies
How to Make a 6-Layer Coconut Lemon-Filled Cake
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...