A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,881
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: monk's travel satchel  (Read 10414 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2004 08:43:54 PM »

so i'm working on the monk bag free pattern from the upcoming (or maybe out now) "folk bags" book.  here's the link:
http://www.interweave.com/knit/books/files/FolkBagsExcerpt.pdf
it's actually pretty easy but uses small needles and yarn and it's a big bag so I think it will take a few months!  I'm about 20 inches into the handle/gussets piece so I've really just started.  Anyone want to make it too?  Mine is grey and green with orange trim, but I'm optomistic and also bought yarn to make a purple, green, and orange one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
JoHunter
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004 12:03:39 AM »

I'm all over this, yesterday i went out and bought some Rowan wool cotton for it.  My plans are to make it a big smaller, probably 8inches by 10 inches, and to maybe make a cable along the  strap so that I don't go mad with the moss stitch.  I haven't started it yet, but  even making it smaller I'll probably be going at it for a couple of months too.  I'm making mine brown with purple trim.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
minanina
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004 06:48:53 AM »

I think i'm going to join too. I bought some nice wool a few days ago , it was on sale, so i took a few pieces, not quite sure what to make out of it. And this bag it's going to be  Wink

This is the wool:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoHunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004 08:46:02 AM »

Just a note to those doing this project, http://sweaterproject.org/archives/cat_monks_travel_satchel.html he says that it's rather stretchy and not suitable for holding heavy books or loads, and suggests either felting or doing a single crochet around the gusset.  I might take his advice about the gusset, or maybe line it if i can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004 10:34:53 PM »

i've been thinking about doing this bag ever since I first picked up Folk Bags at the book store when it came out last winter (or maybe early spring).  This may be just the motivation I need to pull out my copy and pick up some yarn!

I think I'll probably lightly felt as well as line it though.  I am a pack rat and need to be able to pack my junk in there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004 05:49:07 PM »

I'm planning to line it (including the strap) with some sturdy handwoven fabric so that the weight will rest on the fabric rather than the knitting... this will also mean that I won't knit the inside pocket, but will make a fabric one instead. I was hoping this could be a present for christmas time, but I don't think I can finish it in time to send it off too... oh well. knitting on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
mikan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004 06:47:56 PM »

pictures of yarn and seed stitch...
I'm usuing a bit smaller needles, but my gauge is actually a tiny bit bigger so I might have to adjust a little for the front and back.  Blackcat- we may have the same yarn! mine is half merino and was on sale too, but in japan... I had to buy full bags so I'll probably be making some orange hats later on!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004 09:31:52 AM »

So yesterday I went to the fave yarn shop and some brown sheep lamb's pride worsted in tiger lily wouldn't quit talking to me so I brought it home.  I swatched it up and felted it down to get my shrink percentage figures and recalculated the pattern so that it will felt down the the approximate measurements of the original pattern.

I have gone ahead and started doing the front of the bag, as I'll be using the tiger lily as color b.  Later I'm going to pick up the other colors once I decide what I want to use.

I'll add pictures soon hopefully to show off the swatch.   This will be a nice semi-quick project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JoHunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004 12:01:26 PM »

Hi Ne  Smiley, it'll be interesting to see a felted version of the bag, hopefully you'll be able to report the sturdiness of the bag post-felting.  I'm finding the moss stitch for the gusset on small needles a bit of a task  but  I'm finally getting into a rhythm with it and have done a couple of inches.  Can't wait to get to colour B  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004 04:53:12 PM »

based upon my swatch, the felted version should be incredibly sturdy.  I can't wait until I've done enough of my color b to determine how much of color a and c I should purchase.

THis is going to be a fun KAL.  Who doesn't need another bag?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Low and Slow Pork Shoulder Recipe
Three Quick and Easy Microwave Mug Meal Recipes
How to Make Freeze-Ahead Sausage and Egg Sandwiches
How to Make Skinny Shrimp & Polenta: A Healthy Twist on a Southern Staple
How to Make Smoked Pork Butt at Home Like a BBQ Expert
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...