A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dumbledore's Pocket Watch from Harry Potter  (Read 11581 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , dumbledore  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2007 07:35:40 AM »

Dumbledore gave a great sniff as he took a golden watch from his pocket and examined it. It was a very odd watch. It had twelve hands but no numbers; instead, little planets were moving around the edge. It must have made sense to Dumbledore, though, because he put it back in his pocket and said "Hagrid's late."
     -Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Chapter 1

My revamped thrift store clock is (as you may have guessed from the quote above) based on the description of Dumbledore's golden pocket watch.

The outer part of the clock was given a coat of gold paint, glow-in-the-dark stars, moons, and planets were placed over the numbers and outlined in black, and I made and glued down the extra hands.
I was originally planning to change the clock face entirely, but I really liked how the numbers looked peeking out from under the heavenly bodies - plus, I wanted it to still be readable.

This is the clock, outer cover and movement/hands removed, with the beginnings of its paint job. The beige color on the inside rim near the face is the original color of the clock.

I'll probably do some more work on it - I'm not totally happy with the paint job, and I'd like to see if I can add something to the top to make it look more like a pocket watch. I'll post more pictures if I get it done by tomorrow. Smiley

Thanks for looking! Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009 08:43:25 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
Samsara
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good..

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007 09:44:13 AM »

I LOVE this Dorkariffic! The one I was thinking of doing was the Weasley's clock, but I 'ran out of time'....*lol*  Wink
Great minds think alike eh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raina.storms
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007 10:20:05 AM »

Very cool! Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pink Hickey
Pheonix Princess

I sew in high heels...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007 02:52:37 AM »

You're amazing, I started making the weasley's clock but I broke one of the spoon hands and gave it up for the time being.....I wanted to make it super awesome and I was kinda rushing it just for the contest.
<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry Potter will be in my heart forever.
andismom2003
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007 05:00:01 AM »

You did a nice job.  I like this one.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goatgoddess
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007 09:36:29 AM »

how very cool - nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007 12:25:49 AM »

OOOH, now i want to dismantle a clock to make it into dumbledore's....or maybea weasley clock...hmmm.

I've never made a clock before though. Any advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007 05:16:57 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments! Cheesy

OOOH, now i want to dismantle a clock to make it into dumbledore's....or maybea weasley clock...hmmm.

I found this project REALLY easy. I don't know if all clocks are made like mine was, but I just had to pop out the clear cover for the face using a screwdriver, and after that, all the other pieces (hands, movement, face) could just be taken off by hand.
My advice would mainly just be to take a good look at the clock before you buy it to get a feel for what you'll have to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
Queen of the Savages
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007 07:20:30 PM »

WOW I love this, especially the "twelve hands". At first I thought you actually put twelve on it. And I was confused what time it said. Clever/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007 08:24:34 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments! Cheesy

I found this project REALLY easy. I don't know if all clocks are made like mine was, but I just had to pop out the clear cover for the face using a screwdriver, and after that, all the other pieces (hands, movement, face) could just be taken off by hand.
My advice would mainly just be to take a good look at the clock before you buy it to get a feel for what you'll have to do.

Thanks.  Basically, if i'm just adding hands (For the weasleys), I don't really have to do anything to the clock itself, right?  I can just make fake hands and glue them down onto the face?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Photo Canvases
How to Make a Diagonal Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make a Stockinette Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make a Twisted Stockinette Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make Birthday Favor Packets
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...