A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
783 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fake dog bones for chewing?  (Read 3819 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2007 05:40:08 PM »

We just got a pit mix, and she LOVES to chew.  She also eats everything she chews on.  We don't want to give her rawhide or real bones because they're bad for her tummy.  She likes the fake bones, like these:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441815858&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026203&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1172453624051&itemNo=41&Nao=24&In=Dog&N=2026203&Ne=2

The problem is she needs the big ones and goes through one a day easily.  At $4 a bone, that's not going to happen.  Any recipe for a similar edible chew or something she can gnaw on for a while would be lovely!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007 06:37:47 PM by determinedimprovisation » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Loveytlp

"Let's go get sushi and not pay!" - Otto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007 01:01:30 AM »

They're not bone shaped but would she like a rubber Kong
http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html ? They are the only thing our dog doesn't rip to shreds and not because she doesn't try. You can also break up some treats and put them inside so she has to roll it around to get them out. Or peanut butter. They last forever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Isn't sanity really just a one trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking. But when you're good and crazyooh hoo hoo hoothe sky's the limit!" - The Tick
xladyluckx
Hiatus over...back to crafting.

woo woo!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007 06:08:28 AM »

Something to pacify a dog is frozen yogurt...my mom's lab chews everything to bits...i've bought him EVERYTHING on the market. We now give him big braided bully sticks (8 bucks a pop, so only for very special occasions)....my vet told me to give my dogs plain yogurt. So i told my mom...it keeps her dog pacified for a good little while and he LOOOVES it.

So, buy the single serve PLAIN YOGURT.
If you want to add something fun, throw in some fresh blueberries....
then FREEZE the container.
Serve to your baby and see what happens!! You can give him the container to lick out of, but if you are leaving him alone I would pop it out and put it on a plate.
We wondered about a mess....no mess. There is not a lick of it left ever!

And if you are into baking all natural treats....www.allre cipes.com has some great doggie treat recipes too! So much cheaper than buying at the store and at least you know what is in them if you make them yourself!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DogGrrl
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007 07:03:45 AM »

I agree with Loveytip - there is nothing like a Kong!!!  They make a black one that is super tough for strong chewers.  There are some great Kong stuffing recipes here:
http://www.sfspca.org/behavior/dog_library/kong_stuffing.pdf
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007 08:51:11 AM »

she's not interested in kongs or nylabones at all.  i think she knows she can't destroy them, and they don't have squeakers.  i got a similar rubber toy with a super loud squeaky for "extreme chewers" and she ripped a chunk out of it in less than a day.  no more expensive toys for her!
i'll try the plain yogurt with fruity goodness.  that would be a lot healthier for her than the bones, which are mostly fat, and she seems to love fruits and veggies.  does the yogurt really not make a mess?  we have fat residue on the carpet from the bones, which is pretty yucky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meepum

^me and j9crafts. yeah. I'm a superhero.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007 09:13:07 AM »

Have you tried knuckle bones? They can't break any bits off so they can't choke or anything... I hear they're awesome for dogs who like to chew...
http://www.kninekountry.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=KK&Category_Code=KB

Those are expensive ones though. You can pick them up at a petstore for a few bucks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairysari
)'( deep playa walker )'(

guinea piggin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007 11:57:40 AM »

If she likes things that squeak, have you tried the puzzle type dogs toys, where the dog has to get the squeakers out of a bigger toy - like the IQube?

The outer square part is pretty tough, and if she destroys the balls, you could probably get some squeakers and sew up some new ones.

And there's a few recipes for frozen dog treats here:
http://dogaddicts.com/smf/index.php?topic=13113.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:Ravelry:.  .:Tumblr:.  .:Flickr:.
determinedimprovisation

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007 10:00:12 PM »

Oh man, she would go nuts for that IQube, but also destroy it in moments.  The only thing that delights her more than cuddle time is ripping things apart to get to their insides, and then strewing fabric and stuffing about.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions, but she has proved able to destroy absolutely anything, even Kongs.   Roll Eyes  The best toys have been sticks, plastic bottles, and a rope toy, with only grows into more of a tangled mess as she plays with it, making it long-lasting fun.  We just always supervise her play and take whatever away from her when it gets too small or sharp.  She also seems to enjoy gnawing on a hunk of carrot now and again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sprinklez
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007 05:43:01 PM »

I had a dog who liked to tear up stuffed animals. I bought big bags of uber-cheap ones from thrift stores and they kept her happy.

But as for bones I really have no idea. Sorry. :[

"She also seems to enjoy gnawing on a hunk of carrot now and again."

My dog looooves playing with carrots! Not eating them, just playing with them. He's weird
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007 12:12:22 PM by sprinklez » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ianmccloud
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007 12:08:54 AM »

Our super-chewer loves the Nylabone's Galileo.

He is not fond of their other offerings.

The Galileo flakes off in tiny "rice sized" pieces that don't disrupt your pups digestion.

They are cheapest on Jefferspet.com.

Try them if you haven't, they were our solution to un-supervised toys (not-interactive) fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ed Donovan Talks About Glass Blowing
Todd Hansen Talks About Glass Blowing
How to Make a Sexy Schoolgirl Halloween Costume
Turning a Collared Shirt Into a Sexy Dress
How to Keep a Carved Pumpkin Fresh
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...