A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,907
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: Family Circle Easy Crochet Magazine Lacy Sleeveless Top  (Read 18211 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kmmsb459
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007 07:36:16 PM »

I started a swatch for this top tonight.  I used 22 hdc as the guage and got 4" on that.  I also checked the schematic for the torso and it said 9 1/2" long which I also hit.  Unfortunately when I measured the 16 rows of the petal pattern I am at 7" instead of 5".  If I continue on this guage it seems like I will end up with 14" more than I should have after doing 14 repeats of the petal pattern.  Is anyone else having this issue?  How would I adjust the width if I'm hitting the length on gauge?!?

Does anyone know if Family Circle posts corrections to their patterns?

Thanks for any help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherriez
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007 04:54:59 AM »

I found this mag at my local CVS!  yeah, I didn't pick it up, but I'm hoping to next week. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007 05:12:21 AM »

I started a swatch for this top tonight.  I used 22 hdc as the guage and got 4" on that.  I also checked the schematic for the torso and it said 9 1/2" long which I also hit.  Unfortunately when I measured the 16 rows of the petal pattern I am at 7" instead of 5".  If I continue on this guage it seems like I will end up with 14" more than I should have after doing 14 repeats of the petal pattern.  Is anyone else having this issue?  How would I adjust the width if I'm hitting the length on gauge?!?

I am certainly no expert on guage swatches in crochet, but I can tell you what I discovered -- the the petal pattern (including the dc mesh) runs vertically on the torso, so the width is handy to have, but not critical -- as long as your repeat of the petal pattern is right, so that it will fit around you well and not be too short or too long (not that it would be very hard to just add a couple extra repeats or leave a coupe out!)

So yeah, you'll either have to do a little math when it comes to the shell pattern for the top and the meshy bit for the bottom, or re-adjust your guage.  Personally, I think you'd be better off to get the right guage for the number of rows and add on to the width -- for example, instead of starting with 51 stitches, start with... um... more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007 05:32:11 PM »

I haven't posted in a while, but I've got pictures to share!   I'm as done on my top as I'm going to get before the baby arrives.  I'm kind of wishing I'd done a few more rows of scallops, but my breasts won't always be this gigantic, so I think it will be okay.  I'm more worried that it will end up far to big around in the chest once I deflate.

Here's the back as is currently is -- I plan to sew it up once it fits!

And of course my wee lady should have a pretty summer outfit, too!  (she's a sixe 2T) I'm planning on it being a dress, but it is looking a bit short so far.  I'll have to make her a diaper cover or something to wear under.

I made the petal pattern the same 51 stitches, and did 9 repeats. I decreased a little down to the scallop pattern, which I plan to do 3 or 3.5 inches of.  I'll do the mesh and flowery bits on the bottom, too.  I'll have to see about the straps.  I might have to adjust the width of them, but then again, they might be okay.

and here are both together, for comparison:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

baby-bumblebee
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007 06:32:38 AM »

To the above poster! You look great to be what 7mths along!!! What a cute baby belly. Smiley Congrats on the new baby to be and big sister. I have three little ones and am wanting so badly to be prego like NOW!

I just got this mag. yesterday at B&N, love it. The main reason I bought it was for this top. Smiley So come this weekend I am going to be making it. I have a long 12 hr car ride to NC with three children so I hope to get at least started. LOL I also want to make a dress/top for the girls. I am thinking I want it in a soft light pink or light blue. If it comes across as a fast pattern I might make two. Smiley

Amy

Will post pics when done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my very first blog!

http://sassy-pixie.blogspot.com/
Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007 10:39:34 AM »

Awesome job yarnhag!!!
I wondered why I couldn't find that magazine anymore!  I used to get it at safeway so I suspected they were just screwing me over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dansk
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007 10:54:21 AM »

I hope I can find this magazine somewhere. I would love to make one of these too!

Yarnhag, yours looks so pretty, just like the picture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007 06:16:10 PM »

Thanks, folks!  I hope it will look even more like the magazine version in a few months!  (I was very good at not eating a whole lot of cookies this afternoon... mostly because we ran out!  At my last appointment, the doctor pointed out that I have now gained the maximum amount of weight that is generally expected, and that everything from here on in is "extra"  Undecided  jerk.   Cheesy )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007 03:16:53 AM »

i still havnt been able to start mine, but yours has made me want to make one even more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007 07:27:10 PM »

I made this headband, which is a variation on the headband on p. 34 (I like mine much better! I did three rows each direction, instead of 5+1, and I made the ties decrease quickly from the 12 stitches to 4, and did 4 stitches back and forth for 6-8 inches.

If I made one of these in the yarn from the top, would it be too much of the same colour?

I was originally thinking to make the petal part of the petal pattern as a headband, but that really might be too much of a good thing... ??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Science of What Makes Things Funny
This Side of Salvation by Jeri Smith-Ready
The Rise of Jazz Age Manhattan
Denise Kiernan on Life in the Manhattan Project’s Secret Cities
Cohabitate and Live Longer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...