A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: Family Circle Easy Crochet Magazine Lacy Sleeveless Top  (Read 16851 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2007 05:29:26 PM »

This is a fantastically pretty top! 

And the magazine is being discontinued, apparently, so let's have a riotous good time making this thing so we're all fantastically beautiful when summer finally arrives!  (this is the first year I've ever been this sick of winter -- in part because for the longest time we had no snow to play in, then we got some snow, but it was colder than a witch's teat, and now I'm just too big and pregnant to have any fun sliding or skiing or anything... so I'm dreaming of summer and making a top I won't even be able to wear until after Baby is born)

I'm trying to swatch for the lacy sleeveless top tonight, but I'm confused.  I'm a relatively new crocheter, but I really think this should make more sense to me than it does.  Maybe you can help!

it says: guage
122 hdc OR 11 (dc and ch-1) mesh = 4" (10cm)
16 rows = 5" in Petal pat.
7 scallops = 8"; 14 rows = 4" in Scallop pat.

122 hdc can't possibly be right -- that's going to be waaaay more than 4 inches... and either way, I'm not clear on how many rows to do.  Can somebody help me out on the mesh thing?  I do a chain to start with, then do dc and ch-1 in every other stitch of the chain, right?  and I want to do 11 of those in 4 inches. 

As for the petal pattern and the scallop pattern, I guess I just make a foundation chain that is likely to be long enough and just go for it? or what?

Is anybody else working on this? 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014 01:59:29 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007 05:49:19 PM »

okay... so I've been messing around with this guage swatch, and it looks like I'm getting 22 hdc to four inches, which makes sense if "122" is a typo error for "22" which seems likely.  and my mesh measures out too...

I've also figured out that the petal stitch and mesh stitch go up and down the skirt, so I know what I'm trying to measure.

By the way, I'm making this with some 100% unknown fibre that I got a pound of for less than 5 bucks last summer.  It feels like it's mostly cotton, and so far it's fitting the guage, so I think it will work.  It's a very very pale blue.  I'll post a pic when I finishe my swatch...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007 06:07:35 PM by yarnhag » THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007 07:38:57 AM »

yet to post a pic... soon!  I did two repeats of the torso pattern last night and I'm loving it!  I did my original chain a bit too loosely, though, so the first couple of rows are a bit floppy.  I'm counting on it relaxing later, and on the finishing to tidy things up.

Samio is also working on this, says she's going to add buttons up the front instead of making it a tube. I like the idea of buttons.  I was thinking last night of leaving mine open at the back, or lacing it up or something.  I still don't think that would give my big mummy tummy room before the baby is born, but it might  make it around me more quickly afterwards, and I'll get to wear it mroe before the summer is totally gone.

I'm also half thinking of giving it to a friend who is getting married in Mexico in the spring.  I'm an honorary bridesmaid and have been assigned "something blue" -- I don't know if she's picked something to wear yet, but maybe she might like this... she's pretty non-traditional, so I'd almost be surprised if she was going to go with the big white dress.  If not, I'll wear it to her Canadian reception (assuming it fits 6 weeks after Baby is born)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007 05:41:39 AM »

I'm halfway done the torso -- this is 7 repeats of the petal lace pattern.  I'm definitely going to keep it -- and I'm going to make a version for my daughter.  Hers will be a dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MOBOGAL
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007 08:54:06 AM »

Yours looks great so far!  I am about to start this soon too (as soon as I finish a shawl for my mom).  I've already got my yarn...I'm making mine in chocolate brown/mint.  Have you noticed any errors in the pattern?  Someone on crochetville mentioned there might be an error but it was never confirmed.  I'm glad you mentioned the gauge thing, b/c I noticed the "122 hdc" too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007 10:25:10 AM »

So far, so good, other than the guage thing, which is a pretty glaring error.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittin1982
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007 08:11:34 PM »

i have been working on this for a few weeks now....i decided to use some baby coordinates that i had laying around....give the top some nice sheen....i am currently working on the bodice shell pattern....Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007 08:18:23 PM »

woohoo!  welcome aboard!  I'm so glad I'm not the only one making this thing.

Have you got progress pics to share?  Did you find any errors?

I've got 12 repeats done now on the bodice.  I'm amazed at how deceptive the size of the thing is.. it looks like a table runner, but it's still got a ways to grow before it will wrap around my normal belly and hips.  I'm still having fun, though! 

I've been pondering ways to make this into a nursing top -- the best option seems to be to make the straps un-doable with snaps or hooks or whatever (I'd add bits inside the bodice to attach the strap around my breast to the waistband, so the strap wouldn't fly back when undone).  However, I'm not sure the bodice would be able to flip one side down at a time... advice?  The other option is just to undo the tie and tuck Baby all the way under...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittin1982
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007 02:09:45 PM »

no pics yet...though i did go up a hook size in order to make the top just a tad bigger...i really didn't find any errors....it's been a pretty easy crochet project for me.  I finished the bodice and started the lower edge border last night......i really haven't been working on it that much laterly because i am crocheting an afgan for a friend who is getting married in a couple of months....Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007 05:18:28 PM »

I put mine down for a couple of days, too.  I was getting a little bored with it.  Besides, I'm travelling shortly, and I think it will be a good project to bring on the road, so I'm kind of saving it.

I ended up not sewing the back seam, but I did do the drawstring band in the round, so it's held together there.  Once I figured out there was a back opening, I debated ripping back and making the whole back an opening, with the buttons at the top, but I decided to leave it as it is.  I'm really only leaving the bottom part open in case my post-baby belly and hips need the extra room this summer.  If/when I can fit into it, I'll probably sew up the skirt then.  My skirt part ended up measuring 42.5 inches long, and my hips are usually about 41 inches anyhow... so I'm a little nervous.  But I am making it with cotton (I think -- bargain bin "unknown fibre" but feels like cotton or a cotton blend), so hopefully it will stretch if needed.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittin1982
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007 01:29:12 PM »

i did the button band.....and i am debating on what size buttons i will need....hopefully i can just use something in my sewing kit....i don't want to buy any....
i finished the bottom edging...took off one of the dc ch-1 rows....so instead of 5 repeats,....there are only 4....and it hits my hips perfectly..
the strap that i did might be a little long, but I can always fix it by sewing it in a different place...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherriez
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007 02:19:25 PM »

This top is sooo pretty!  Exactly which mag is this in?  I typed in Family Circle Crochet in ebay and came up short.
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007 05:18:02 PM »

This is the cover of the magazine, so you'll know what you're looking for.  It's the spring/summmer 2007 issue currently on news stands.  In another thread, however, there was discussion about the magazine being discontinued, and there is really nothing about it online anymore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007 05:55:16 PM »

i have this issue and wanted to make this top!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007 08:07:30 PM »

well let's go, then, chicky!  grab your hook and get at it!  Wink Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007 06:32:55 AM »

i need some other materials first! Then Ill be able to start
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittin1982
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007 04:35:41 PM »

i finished.....just need to take a picture....i ended up having to buy buttons...i think they were half inch ones and they worked perfectly....i will take pictures tomorrow and put them up so that everyone can see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007 06:51:06 PM »

I'm about 2/3 of the way up the bodice, so I tried it on this morning.  I think it's going to be too big.  It fits fine, and I'm 6 months pregnant!  Well, I didn't sew up the torso skirty part... I'd hoped this would be a thing to fit soon after baby, and I think it will.  But I don't think it will fit next summer, when I've lost the baby fat.  At least I'll have something nice to wear for some fancy events this summer.

kittin -- I can't wait to see yours! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iheartcapnhook
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007 06:58:30 AM »

I just ran across this thread (I'm new to the forum).  I can't find that magazine on ebay or craigslist.  Can I possibly BEG anyone to scan in the pattern for my lowly self?  Please, Please, Please, Please!  I'll be your best friend!!!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MOBOGAL
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007 03:59:10 PM »

Not to be a bummer...but I'm pretty sure all patterns in magazines are copyrighted, which would make it taboo to scan/post it here on the forum.  I may be wrong, but I'm just assuming, since most forums have that rule.  I got my copy at the bookstore, you may want to check B&N or local craft stores.  Good luck finding the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmmsb459
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007 07:36:16 PM »

I started a swatch for this top tonight.  I used 22 hdc as the guage and got 4" on that.  I also checked the schematic for the torso and it said 9 1/2" long which I also hit.  Unfortunately when I measured the 16 rows of the petal pattern I am at 7" instead of 5".  If I continue on this guage it seems like I will end up with 14" more than I should have after doing 14 repeats of the petal pattern.  Is anyone else having this issue?  How would I adjust the width if I'm hitting the length on gauge?!?

Does anyone know if Family Circle posts corrections to their patterns?

Thanks for any help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherriez
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007 04:54:59 AM »

I found this mag at my local CVS!  yeah, I didn't pick it up, but I'm hoping to next week. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007 05:12:21 AM »

I started a swatch for this top tonight.  I used 22 hdc as the guage and got 4" on that.  I also checked the schematic for the torso and it said 9 1/2" long which I also hit.  Unfortunately when I measured the 16 rows of the petal pattern I am at 7" instead of 5".  If I continue on this guage it seems like I will end up with 14" more than I should have after doing 14 repeats of the petal pattern.  Is anyone else having this issue?  How would I adjust the width if I'm hitting the length on gauge?!?

I am certainly no expert on guage swatches in crochet, but I can tell you what I discovered -- the the petal pattern (including the dc mesh) runs vertically on the torso, so the width is handy to have, but not critical -- as long as your repeat of the petal pattern is right, so that it will fit around you well and not be too short or too long (not that it would be very hard to just add a couple extra repeats or leave a coupe out!)

So yeah, you'll either have to do a little math when it comes to the shell pattern for the top and the meshy bit for the bottom, or re-adjust your guage.  Personally, I think you'd be better off to get the right guage for the number of rows and add on to the width -- for example, instead of starting with 51 stitches, start with... um... more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007 05:32:11 PM »

I haven't posted in a while, but I've got pictures to share!   I'm as done on my top as I'm going to get before the baby arrives.  I'm kind of wishing I'd done a few more rows of scallops, but my breasts won't always be this gigantic, so I think it will be okay.  I'm more worried that it will end up far to big around in the chest once I deflate.

Here's the back as is currently is -- I plan to sew it up once it fits!

And of course my wee lady should have a pretty summer outfit, too!  (she's a sixe 2T) I'm planning on it being a dress, but it is looking a bit short so far.  I'll have to make her a diaper cover or something to wear under.

I made the petal pattern the same 51 stitches, and did 9 repeats. I decreased a little down to the scallop pattern, which I plan to do 3 or 3.5 inches of.  I'll do the mesh and flowery bits on the bottom, too.  I'll have to see about the straps.  I might have to adjust the width of them, but then again, they might be okay.

and here are both together, for comparison:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

baby-bumblebee
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007 06:32:38 AM »

To the above poster! You look great to be what 7mths along!!! What a cute baby belly. Smiley Congrats on the new baby to be and big sister. I have three little ones and am wanting so badly to be prego like NOW!

I just got this mag. yesterday at B&N, love it. The main reason I bought it was for this top. Smiley So come this weekend I am going to be making it. I have a long 12 hr car ride to NC with three children so I hope to get at least started. LOL I also want to make a dress/top for the girls. I am thinking I want it in a soft light pink or light blue. If it comes across as a fast pattern I might make two. Smiley

Amy

Will post pics when done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my very first blog!

http://sassy-pixie.blogspot.com/
Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007 10:39:34 AM »

Awesome job yarnhag!!!
I wondered why I couldn't find that magazine anymore!  I used to get it at safeway so I suspected they were just screwing me over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dansk
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007 10:54:21 AM »

I hope I can find this magazine somewhere. I would love to make one of these too!

Yarnhag, yours looks so pretty, just like the picture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007 06:16:10 PM »

Thanks, folks!  I hope it will look even more like the magazine version in a few months!  (I was very good at not eating a whole lot of cookies this afternoon... mostly because we ran out!  At my last appointment, the doctor pointed out that I have now gained the maximum amount of weight that is generally expected, and that everything from here on in is "extra"  Undecided  jerk.   Cheesy )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007 03:16:53 AM »

i still havnt been able to start mine, but yours has made me want to make one even more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007 07:27:10 PM »

I made this headband, which is a variation on the headband on p. 34 (I like mine much better! I did three rows each direction, instead of 5+1, and I made the ties decrease quickly from the 12 stitches to 4, and did 4 stitches back and forth for 6-8 inches.

If I made one of these in the yarn from the top, would it be too much of the same colour?

I was originally thinking to make the petal part of the petal pattern as a headband, but that really might be too much of a good thing... ??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2007 03:27:27 AM »

i think it would be cute if you made the hazd band the same color as the top. Very summery!! man i cant wait until summer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelily
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2007 06:17:53 PM »

oh that IS pretty!  as soon as i get some new yarn, count me in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lets make us all beautiful
gmaw2000
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011 08:46:57 PM »

This pattern can be found on the Better Homes and Gardens website...and is a FREE Download....(PDF)... http://www.bhg.com/crafts/knitting/clothing/lace-inspired-crocheted-top/

Woops... the PDF is for the schematic.... you will have to either print or copy and past then print the 5 pages of pattern instructions..... sorry I wasn't clearer on first post
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011 09:34:16 PM by gmaw2000 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaphadillyArt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

derp

...epic...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013 05:34:56 PM »

This is so pretty! It would be a nice dress when lined
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"She's a mess of gorgeous chaos and you can see it in her eyes"
"Every time I make art some do-gooder teacher sends it to a therapist" -Bart Simpson
IYP- plotting
Movie/TV- signing up!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create and Color Objects in Illustrator Lesson 2
117 Understanding Adobe Photoshop - Repair Sky
119 Understanding Adobe Photoshop - Zoomify
How to Do Lip Syncing for Animation
How to Use Animation Effects in Sprout
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...