A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,859
Currently Running With Scissors:
839 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any Veggie Porkchops Recipes?  (Read 792 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2007 07:44:32 AM »

I am not going to lie, when I gave up meat, I missed only two things that was Fish, which I know is not considered meat, but in my book it does, lol,  which yesterday has been filled because I found a Mock Tuna Recipe, tried it last night, it taste so good, just makes me happy, lol, but the other was Porkchops, that was the last meat I ate before I gave up meat, and that is almost going on to Three years ago, and it is sad to say that I still remember the last meat I ate, which was Bar-B-Q Pork Chops at that, so I was wondering anyone know any Mock/Meatless/Veggie/Whatever you want to call it, long as it is not meat Porkchop Recipes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wind
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007 08:47:44 AM »

Hi there, I think it is fine to have fish from time to time because I knew that some people say they are vegetarian but still eat fish/seafood. I think it depands on how serious you are.

Regarding the vegetarian pockchop, I understand that Chinese people would use soy bean and taro to make the 'fake' chicken/pork/beef meat. I've been trying to find a recipe for you but with no luck, sorry...  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanna try to cook a lovely but simple meal for your loved ones?
Then visit: http://windyscorner.info
Enjoy! Smiley
white trash hero
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007 08:52:50 AM »

Quorn (which Im not sure is vailable in the  USA) but they make excellent meat substitutes and i eat it alot as it provides me with the nutrients i might be missing out on. They do like fake pork, and im sure theyd have something that would fill your gap. Tonight im having goats cheese and cranberry quorn escalopes for dinner YUM!
search quorn on google and i think they have a catalogue online Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heathurr
rah, rah replica!

my god, she looked just like me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007 08:54:38 AM »

Hi there, I think it is fine to have fish from time to time because I knew that some people say they are vegetarian but still eat fish/seafood. I think it depands on how serious you are.
i'm pretty sure those people just don't understand the implications of the word "vegetarian."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
white trash hero
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007 09:02:04 AM »

i'm pretty sure those people just don't understand the implications of the word "vegetarian."
i think its wrong to say whether someone esle is vegeterian or not,  because its a personal life choice so someone will have their own definition of vegeterianism by what is important to them. I think its an insult to say that to vegeterians who have chosen a different diet to you. I eat fish for health reasons, and i still consider myself a vegeterian. I was not happy about eating fish but i was told by my doctor i had to....he asked me to eat chicken too but i refused. So i also dont think its about seriousness, its about your views and your own morals, not a dictionary definition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wind
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007 09:05:06 AM »

Hmm... I think I should rephase my statement. I used to think that vegetarian means they eat absolutely no meat. But yes, I can't understand why some people say they are vegetarian and yet still eat seafood/fish. Thanks for pointing it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanna try to cook a lovely but simple meal for your loved ones?
Then visit: http://windyscorner.info
Enjoy! Smiley
SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007 04:11:34 PM »

That is why I said I considered it meat for me because I know lots of people have different Opinions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dogperson
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007 04:18:39 PM »

seitan might be a good choice.  i can't cook for anything, but my friend makes great seitan...it may be the most similar texture that you will be able to find.  as for actually tasting like pork - i have no idea how to season it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

people person?  no, i'm more of a dog person.
J_slice
Bird at the Window

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007 07:08:29 PM »

I found this recipe online:

Mock BBQ Pork
(Serves 4 as an appetizer or used in a stir-fry)

Heres a terrific tasting meat alternative.

8 ounces gluten, cooked according to directions below
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 Tablespoons lite tamari or soy sauce
2 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon minced ginger
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon sweetener
2 teaspoons five-spice powder
Vegetable cooking spray

Form gluten into a cylinder and lightly simmer in water for at least 30 minutes until quite firm. Let cool and cut in small pieces in the Chinese "roll-cut" style. (Cut off one corner, turn the cylinder, cut again and continue.)

Combine the remaining ingredients to make a marinade. Marinate the gluten pieces for 15 to 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Drain gluten from marinade. Put on baking sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. If gluten seems to be getting too dry, baste with the marinade.

Eat as is, use in a stir-fry, or as a filling for mock-pork buns.

Total Calories per Serving: 80
Fat: 3 grams

___________________ ___________________ _______________

Seitan is actually pretty easy to make.  The absolute easiest way I find to make it is to use a flour called "Vital Wheat Gluten Flour", also called "Gluten Flour", which I buy in helath stores.  To make enough for about 2-4 servings, I take half a cup of the flour and mix it with half a cup of water and mix the two together in a bowl.  Then I knead the mixture for about 5 minutes, and its ready to be used in your recipe!  As a person who also misses meat, I love seitan because you can season it to make it taste like pretty much any sort of meat, from chicken (I've made fried chicken from it before, and I couldn't tell that it wasn't meat!), to ham, turkey to even fish depending on your seasonings. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultraviolet
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007 07:59:52 AM »

i think its wrong to say whether someone esle is vegeterian or not,  because its a personal life choice so someone will have their own definition of vegeterianism by what is important to them. I think its an insult to say that to vegeterians who have chosen a different diet to you.
[/quote]

There *is* an actual dictionary definition of vegetarianism and while I agree with you that it's fine to have your own definition, there are reasons why consistancy can be important. For example, if someone who is a strict vegetarian (no meat, no fish) goes to a restaurant and asks if something on the menu is vegetarian, the wait staff should not just say yes if the item contains, say, fish sauce. This can be really frustrating and upsetting.

I just prefer not to use the label because I can't stand splitting hairs and having to change the way I describe myself if I decide I want to eat shrimp or wear leather or something. I just say "I don't eat meat" and leave it at that Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Different Size Holes For Tree Skirts
How to Crochet Half Rainbow Borders
How to Crochet Leaves Part 1/6
How to Crochet Leaves Part 2/6
How to Crochet for Beginners
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...