A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Engagment Party Help!  (Read 850 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kiwimonkey
« on: February 24, 2007 06:20:37 PM »

So two of my really good firends just got engaged.  They're not getting married for 2+ years, but that doesn't matter! 
I sort-of suggested an engagement party, and now it seems that I'm in charge of throwing them one.
We're all college students, so money is a bit limited, but if I'm going to throw them a party, I'd like to throw them a semi-classy party (i.e. no red-plastic cups, and no beer-pong Wink)
I'm thinking for invitations I'll use a really cute picture I have of the two of them as the cover with a "we're engaged!" type of message.
Other than that, I'm kind of at a loss for inspiration for a theme, decorations etc.  Anyone have any ideas what we could do that'd be at least a little bit classy and adult without being stuffy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ♥ swaps!
LoriHatesOkra
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007 09:44:20 PM »

I know I sound like an advertisement for them because I just suggested it to someone else lol but check out your local craigslist for free or cheap wine or champaign glasses to make it a little fancier. You'd be amazed at what people are trying to get rid of. Or you could even hit up local thrift stores for them as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CitrusWarfare
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007 10:07:09 PM »

I don't know how classy you want it to be but picking up various small clear glass jars from thrift stores and putting tea light candles in them is always a nice way to create an upscale atmosphere (and tea lights come in bulk for cheap!). Break out the white christmas lights and wrap organza around them. It becomes an incredible table runner and lovely lighting. Another great thing about being on a budget and trying to have a party is making all the food mini. Invest in two small muffin tin pans. You can make a variety of food from mini cupcakes, mini quiche, and ready-made dough. Then to go along with that make a few kinds of salad. That way it doesn't look like you are on a budget. It looks like more with more options and smaller things. It also looks unique if you mix and match dishes but then unite it all by nice solid color cloth napkins-- that way you don't have to invest in elaborate dishware but only napkins/rings. Splurge on the inviations-- they let your guests know to perhaps break out a button up instead of something with food stains on it. Printing onto vellum looks classy-- punch two holes at the top and string a piece of ribbon through it. Not too complicated and not too expensive.

Sorry if none of that is useful at all. Just on the top of my head.
I'm sure whatever you do the couple will be incredible thankful for having such a kind friend.

If you still haven't found what you are looking for go to the library and check out back stock copies of readymade. They are pros when it comes to this kind of thing.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CitrusWarfare
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007 10:19:22 PM »

sorry....once I get started thinking about these kinds of things I can't stop.

Also don't feel as though it has to be an evening thing. You might ditch the mood lighting and have a brunch. The nice thing about brunches is a lot of variations can be had on the same foods-- not to mention most breakfast food is used my similar ingredients. Cut bagels and have cream cheese/have nice bread for toast. Also a lot of those kinds of foods can be made the night before and warmed the morning of. Also having something later post dinner can keep your menu to just sweet treats and yummy wine.

Alright I'll stop rambling now.
take care
I'm sure I'll be thinking about this all evening now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kiwimonkey
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007 10:09:12 AM »

Citrus Warfare, thanks for the help!
I know the groom-to-be loves pancakes almost as much as he does his finace, so a breakfast/brunch party might be in order here.
I never would have thought of that! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ♥ swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Updo using a Hair Comb and a French Twist Hairstyle
Flawless Skin Tips
Celebrity Look-Alike
TopShop Hair Makeover
Short Hair Survey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...