A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie help!  (Read 812 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: February 23, 2007 11:23:17 PM »

My mom just got us a sewing machine Cheesy My first project was to alter our living room curtains because they were too long xD

But now I'm very interested in sewing my own clothing and I have tons of unused cloth. What would you recommend me to do first? Or are there websites that have very in-depth tutorials, seeing as I'm a fairly new to sewing with a sewing machine.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Online store of handmade goodness: Tiny Hands Jewelry
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007 11:30:37 PM »

I teach kids to sew in secondary school... and we always get our lot to start with something simple like a skirt or trousers. A line sirt will get your confidence up, and its quite structured and you learn to put a zip in... There are loads of skirt tutorials on craftster.. or if you look on...

there are always cheap patterns... I just bout 4 patterns for 10...

Hope that helps!  Smiley

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007 08:39:35 AM »

can you read patterns?  if you can, they'd probably be a pretty good way to go.

i can't read patterns, but i started off with altering things, like making big tshirts fitted and taking the flares out of my jeans and making them skinny.  that was a pretty easy way to learn.

whatever you end up doing, good luck!

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007 09:51:19 AM »

I have found that the Simplicity "sewing for dummies" patterns explain everything that I think would be confusing to a new sewer. Even if you don't like that pattern, you can use that information for all other patterns. And get a book like "the readers digest complete guide to sewing" that will tell you all sorts of tips and tricks to make your project look good.

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007 10:00:47 AM »

Simplicity also started a new line of patterns called Sew Stylish - they also have a magazine that just came out under the same name.  You might want to pick up the magazine, it's got lots of great beginner information (how to press & why you should do it, fitting, selecting fabrics, etc.).  I think that the current Cutting Edge magazine has a section on understanding pattern markings and how to determine your measurements\pattern size if you find that part confusing.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007 10:24:42 AM »

Unfortunately, I can't read patterns Sad
But it looks like I have to make a trip to the bookstore!
Thanks for the advice, everyone Cheesy

Online store of handmade goodness: Tiny Hands Jewelry
Certified Weirdo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007 09:11:20 PM »

i learned to sew by reading vintage sewing books that i found at garage sales and the halfprice bookstore.

the best advice i can give you is this; go to your local thrift store, buy several yards of fabric (some woven, some knit) and a couple of simple patterns, (dont spend more than $10, so you wont feel like your throwing your money away! ^_^')  then give it a go!

im a firm beliver in learning by doing. Make stuff you want to make though, you dont want to be suffering and hating the dang thing!

good luck! and post the results!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007 05:46:28 PM »

a A-line skirt with drawstring waist or elastic waist. One of the beginner sewing pattern series. I could not read a pattern either..but learned as I went - albeit the hard way...but it was somehat self explanatory. Plus what I couldn't interpret - the web made up for it!

"Do the best you can, then to hell with it!" Eunice Kennedy-Shriver
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Tips for Curly Hair
Ethnic Hair Straightening Tips
Ethnic Hair Natural Styling Tips
Tips for a Formal Short Hairstyle
Frizz Smoothing for Curly Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...